Professional Cyclists - Giant Alpecin

• Thread starter MartinHolden777
  • Start date
M

MartinHolden777

Cycling is my sport, and watching some of the big races out there is what excites me most. I have been lucky enough to travel to Belgium for the last two years to watch the Tour of Flanders - an immense one day bike race over the country roads including cobbles, usually in the wind, cold and rain .. and immense test over 260km ... last year I got up close to the riders at the start and then tried a few things in processing.

Something a bit different and really capture the mood of the race ...

#1 John Degenkolb
John_Degenkolb_xlarge.jpg

#2 Koen de Kort

Koen_de_Kort_xlarge.jpg

#3 Zico Waeytans

Zico_Waeytens_xlarge.jpg

Ok, a different approach to rendition but it doesn't
make my string sing!

Belgium for the last two years to watch the Tour of Flanders - an immense one day bike race over the country roads including cobbles, usually in the wind, cold and rain .. and immense test over 260km .

Brilliant build up... then you show us three head shoulders shots... Sorry but not for me...

Brilliant build up... then you show us three head shoulders shots... Sorry but not for me...

I have 10,500 cycling images on my Flickr page if you REALLY want to look at bike racing ... these are about the athletes, so yes, headshots for these ..... :)

Ok, a different approach to rendition but it doesn't
make my string sing!

Yes, I get that, two threads and you have said the same thing .. ok, I understand you don't like them. Cheers anyhow.

I like this, something a little different! Maybe try mixing the styles - with Koen how would it look if you kept the background as a normal photo?

I like this, something a little different! Maybe try mixing the styles - with Koen how would it look if you kept the background as a normal photo?

I play around with these all the time and have loads of different versions ..... really glad you like them. :)

I'm a keen cyclist to, so any photos of the pros is of interest to me!

I'd say they come across as "snapshots" rather than photos which have had thought behind them. The compositions aren't particularly refined, neither are the poses of the riders. Also not a fan of the editing I'm afraid!

No point critiquing without pointing out areas to improve though so here goes...

1. His hand is in an awkward position, maybe you should have waited for him to get into a more natural pose. If he was going to put his hand on his head or something he might have had a more interesting expression which told a bit more of a story.

2. Nice expression, a wider shot might have given it a bit of context though. Looks like he might be preparing something with his hands?

3. Looks like you've p***ed him off whilst he's on the phone haha, I don't think I'd have shared this one!

I think portraits like this have to be particularly good to avoid being boring, I'd say it's be easier in general to get a slightly wider shot showing the environment they're in for a bit more relevance

Cheers Sam, but you are a MTB'er so what would you know :) .. only joking I do really appreciate the feedback ...

1. he was being interviewed by RAI at the time and I quite liked the look here, but understand you thoughts ...

2. spot on, he was fixing his Garmin to his race bike, but that area was cluttered and I like the closeness of this one

3. although it looks like he was looking at me, he wasn't and this was originally quite a long shot ... I like it though cos he does look p***ed off ... lol

all good comments though ...

Back