Professional printing services

Edit My Images
No
Ok, I have a few questions...

I'm about to start up a freelance photography website to sell my images but I'm so confused as to the products I can offer that I need some help. To think 5 years of studying the subject and no one thought to teach me how to actually sell images lol, and for some reason I never bothered to ask...

Anyway, I shoot on a Nikon D80 which has an aspect ratio of 3:2- do most people just stick to those print sizes or should I crop to fit standard frame sizes? Or I could put a border around my image with my name at the bottom and the title of the picture- opinions? I'll offer this in probably 3 different sizes.

And can anyone recommend a good giclee (sp?) printing service? I ideally want to offer normal prints, then mounted with a protective cover for wall art, and then fully framed in probably about 3 sizes to keep it simple. Opinions? Is there maybe a better way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks....

Unless you have a specific plan to market your website (or a niche that hasn't been covered), I'd seriously consider whether it's worth setting up a website to sell images from.

There are so many stock agencies out there now that it's almost impossible for a small, unknown photographer to make any decent money from it, and you'd be better off putting your efforts into uploading your images onto decent stock agencies like Alamy. The likes of Redbubble are meant to be quite good too, and they handle the printing site of things too, I think (don't use it so couldn't say for sure!).

You might make a few quid if you've got a very good selection of local type photos within the local market, but for selling nationally, unless your images are very good, or you're quite well known, I think you're on a hiding to nothing.

JMO (and happy to be proven wrong, too :))

I'm going to be hopefully using stock and picture agencies as well, and I'm in talks with a museum regarding my degree images being exhibited. And I've made a few sales so far which has made me realise people may like my images so I'd like to give it a go. I do landscape, macro and underwater, but I have a portfolio of photographs I did for my Fibonacci project which is all about fractals and patterns in simple forms. Its very unique so I may be have an advantage. But you never know! I can only try :)

Any tips on prints?

Back