Project 240 portraits

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Project 240 is a photo-documentary of Margate, street portraits explore ideas of identity and development. Influenced by Robert Frank, William Klein and Bruce Davidson I'm taking a relaxed approach in photographing the social landscape. Intentionally approaching different characters of Margate, the project challenges pre-conceptions of the local community and its visitors. I have explored the relationship between photographer and subject questioning pre-conceptions and stereotype.

16 by jpay01, on Flickr

20 by jpay01, on Flickr

22 by jpay01, on Flickr

19 by jpay01, on Flickr

6 by jpay01, on Flickr

2 by jpay01, on Flickr

For the whole set please visit either my flickr through the links or my website:
www.jasonpay.co.uk

Any feedback would be great, this series is my final piece for my first year at college, I've been working on the project for around 6months. What d'ya think?

Thanks, Jason Pay

Hiya Jay.

First, I have never studied photography to those sort of levels, but I'd like to.

To make sure I've got it straight - Margate is irrelevant, it's about challenging stereotypical views of the relationship between photographer and subject?

Like it nice idea.

But then, 2 and 4 are absolutely stereotypical.

The hint of aggression in 1 is getting there.

3 and 5 are more relaxed - ish, but hardly challenging.

In 6, if you had the little lad lean out more and focus on him, leaving the man, thinking it's his photo you're taking, blurred, I reckon that would be a great shot.

All the best and good luck with your syudies.

I think you ought to try and fill the frame more with environmental context, general context or portrait.
I realise you are taking a relaxed approach but I just feel they lack that cutting edge.
I think 3 and 6 are getting there, in that they are moving towards what I personally hope to see from portraiture, street or otherwise.

The others are kinda distant, detached, the space not taken up by portrait doesn't add much to the picture and thus I think you might as well fill the frame with portrait....warts and all.

I like to think my critique is fair but more importantly useful, even if overall it appears slightly negative...:)

Nice photos. You need to work on your composition, backgrounds, and use of DOF a bit more though. Harsh lines and lamp posts growing out of people's heads don't work so well... great start though.

I like the shots in general, the only point I would make is regarding the composition, the first 3 have the subject bang in the centre of the frame, it looks like the shot's been focused (magnifier, split prism or whatever) and not recomposed after. Focus is of course important but don't overstress it, content is what counts :)

That's a complete assumption based on how the shots are framed of course, I may be right, may be wrong.

Back