Puffball

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This fungi shot was taken on my 100mm Macro Lens. Lighting via LED video light.

MG_4258.jpg

Looks good. I'm interested that you used an LED light. What are the benefits of that? (I have a particular interest in this as I've just acquired one for 4K captures for focus stacking. I hadn't thought to use if for flowers or fungi though. Perhaps I should.)

Thanks Nick. I used the video light to provide foreground illumination. I took it with me as the wide angle lens would need it on some images. The advantage of it for still images is that I can vary the power and the colour balance of the light. Having it diffused a bit too, helped to bring out some details that might of been concealed in shadow.

Well caught. It looks beautiful. How big was it?

Thanks Jay - this would of been about the size of the a £2 coin.

Thanks Nick. I used the video light to provide foreground illumination. I took it with me as the wide angle lens would need it on some images. The advantage of it for still images is that I can vary the power and the colour balance of the light. Having it diffused a bit too, helped to bring out some details that might of been concealed in shadow.

Interesting. Thanks Chris. I suppose what I'm really wondering about is how you find it compares to flash.

I bought two LED lights - the second because the first wasn't really powerful enough for my purposes (4K video capture for use for stacking). My LED lights are native 5600K with a 3200K filter. Is that the sort of white balance alteration you are doing? I'm curious though as to why that would be useful. (Forgive me please, I don't recall if you shoot RAW or JPEG, which would be different in terms of white balance issues of course.)

Do you find the coverage wider and more suitable for the wide angle lens? I've put a snoot on my LED lights to concentrate the light in order for it to be strong enough for what I want to do, but I've found it is very sensitive to exactly how I line it up, and awkward to use because of that, made worse by the fact that I need to adjust the position as the lens extends or contracts. My KX800 flash setup is much more tolerant as to positioning. (But I can't use that for 4K captues.)

Very nice Chris, and interesting to see you used LED Lighting.(y)

George.

Interesting. Thanks Chris. I suppose what I'm really wondering about is how you find it compares to flash.

I bought two LED lights - the second because the first wasn't really powerful enough for my purposes (4K video capture for use for stacking). My LED lights are native 5600K with a 3200K filter. Is that the sort of white balance alteration you are doing? I'm curious though as to why that would be useful. (Forgive me please, I don't recall if you shoot RAW or JPEG, which would be different in terms of white balance issues of course.)

Do you find the coverage wider and more suitable for the wide angle lens? I've put a snoot on my LED lights to concentrate the light in order for it to be strong enough for what I want to do, but I've found it is very sensitive to exactly how I line it up, and awkward to use because of that, made worse by the fact that I need to adjust the position as the lens extends or contracts. My KX800 flash setup is much more tolerant as to positioning. (But I can't use that for 4K captues.)

Nick - My LED light is an Amaran Aputure AL 198C, which has a power dial and a w/b dial, so can vary between 3200 and 5500k I have had it for some time and mostly use it indoors. Also the power of the light can be changed. I shoot in RAW - so there is some latitude later on. But with the fungi shots I use live view to take them, the rectingulated screen saves a fair bit of neck ache, and having the colours appear on screen is helpful. The large lighting from it is enough to flood the scene from a short distance (Good for the Wide Angle), or just angle light if you hold it close. Shooting on a tripod or bean bag means the shutter speed can be fairly low, but the light helps to boost shadows and give a slightly higher shutter. Not the same as flash by any means - but this I used for a different purpose.

Very nice Chris, and interesting to see you used LED Lighting.(y)

George.

Thanks a lot George.

Nick - My LED light is an Amaran Aputure AL 198C, which has a power dial and a w/b dial, so can vary between 3200 and 5500k I have had it for some time and mostly use it indoors. Also the power of the light can be changed. I shoot in RAW - so there is some latitude later on. But with the fungi shots I use live view to take them, the rectingulated screen saves a fair bit of neck ache, and having the colours appear on screen is helpful. The large lighting from it is enough to flood the scene from a short distance (Good for the Wide Angle), or just angle light if you hold it close. Shooting on a tripod or bean bag means the shutter speed can be fairly low, but the light helps to boost shadows and give a slightly higher shutter. Not the same as flash by any means - but this I used for a different purpose.

Thanks for the details Chris. That is very helpful.

Back