Puffin from The Isle of May.

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
My first visit to this island at the beggining of the week.
Wonderful experience and managed a few shots that turned out ok. However by the time I had worked out where to go etc and then camera settings and grabbed some shots it was time to go again lol
I will return for another visit soon and be better organised.

Puffin head shot... by Cooriedoon, on Flickr

I've been trying to get tp May for the last 5 years and never managed it. I really should make the effort.

This is a lovely image but there's a but, and that is that I think you've lost the highlights/whites, they are very bright, particularly on the fish. That said, in this weather we are currently getting, I understand that keeping the whites right isn't easy. The background is nice and mushy and it's sharp enough where it should be. Considering you were under time pressure, you've done well. (y)

You got all the details on the bird spot on, not easy in this bright light we're currently having, nice work.

Body angle is nice and square to the sensor.

Brightness on the fish scales you're just going to have to live with until the clouds come back. The highlights don't really bother me here though.

Check your PMs.

Mike

Very nice

Puffin looks good and as said not much you can do with the highlights on the Sandeels on the day ,if i was to do anything and bear in mind just my opinion and choice i would just drop the saturation a touch on the background.

Puffin looks good and as said not much you can do with the highlights on the Sandeels on the day ,if i was to do anything and bear in mind just my opinion and choice i would just drop the saturation a touch on the background.

Den thank you for your very kind comments and advice. Thanks to everyone who took the time to look.

These are things I am still learning to look for while capturing bird images.I never even thought to look at the bird through the lens for highlights so another thing learned by being part of this forum. So is it better to slightly underexpose in such bright conditions as I take an image then fix in photoshop later?

So is it better to slightly underexpose in such bright conditions as I take an image then fix in photoshop later?

Personally in this situation, I would under expose to gain some control of the whites but I think with the light you had here, it would be difficult as then the darks could become an issue and block out with no detail. I think it depends on the day and light at the time. You can set your camera up to show you blown whites, and on some, blocked shadows when you view the image on the camera screen. Those bits will 'blink' if you have this setting switched on. That said though, you might not have time to view the image and adjust that way in a fast moving wildlife situation.

Up until recently, I had been using a Canon 7D, which likes to be exposed to the right, or over exposed by upto a stop in some cases as the shadow recovery with 7D files isn't great. The trouble with that though is that the whites can become a problem, so I think it's all a bit of a trade off between the 2, going on my 7D experience. I have a newer camera now, and it's a lot easier with that but it still depends on the light at the time.

I'm no expert though I'm still on a learning curve myself but the help I've gotten from some members here is very good. I don't think we ever stop learning with this hobby, everyday is a school day. (y)

You're going to have trouble with birds like this in bright light - difficult to get everything right to say the least!

My way is to take a test shot and look at both the histogram and set the blinkies on the rear screen. You have to decide if there are any areas that you can accept as being blown. Using the blinkies is very useful, with a white bird in cloudy/dull light you can get away with a few blinkies, in bright light you really want to avoid them on any area of interest.

Underexposing and then bringing up the exposure runs the risk of increasing noise

The really shiny scales of a fish like this just heighten the issue further. Perfect scenario is either cloudy days or dawn/dusk, but I full appreciate that's not always practical

Mike

Last edited:
i Very rarely rely on the histogram but mikes advice is as near as I would go to get s correct exposure.....under exposing is some I don’t do and that’s just me I suppose

You're going to have trouble with birds like this in bright light - difficult to get everything right to say the least!

My way is to take a test shot and look at both the histogram and set the blinkies on the rear screen. You have to decide if there are any areas that you can accept as being blown. Using the blinkies is very useful, with a white bird in cloudy/dull light you can get away with a few blinkies, in bright light you really want to avoid them on any area of interest.

Underexposing and then bringing up the exposure runs the risk of increasing noise

The really shiny scales of a fish like this just heighten the issue further. Perfect scenario is either cloudy days or dawn/dusk, but I full appreciate that's not always practical

Mike
Mike thank you :) I am going back later this month and will be turning my blinkies on and doing that test shot.
I have decided that I will just hang around the one area of the island this time and just take my time. Then next time go back and do the same again in another part of the island and If I feel I get what I am aiming for I will move on. I rushed it last time as not having been on the island before you wander about having no idea where the best spots are.So if any one has been on the Isle of May and thinks they know where the best spots are plaese feel free to share :)

Lovely shot Cathy, always great when you get a Puffin with Sand eels (y)

I've found when shooting auks in bright sunlight a good starting point is around 1/2500th, f8, ISO 400.

in bright light you really want to avoid them on any area of interest.

Not wanting to contradict Mike here Cathy and I've no experience with Canon bodies but with the settings I've given above and using a Nikon D7200 with the same lens as you, I get a touch of blinkies on the cameras jpeg on the whites but they can be easily recovered on the raw file, which in extreme situations on bright highlights and dark shadows, shooting in raw is essential.

Last edited:

I've found when shooting auks in bright sunlight a good starting point is around 1/2500th, f8, ISO 400.

Not wanting to contradict Mike here Cathy and I've no experience with Canon bodies but with the settings I've given above and using a Nikon D7200 with the same lens as you, I get a touch of blinkies on the cameras jpeg on the whites but they can be easily recovered on the raw file, which in extreme situations on bright highlights and dark shadows, shooting in raw is essential.

You're right Phil, you can normally recover a few blinkies, particularly on feather detail, even more so in dull light as the screen view on the back of the camera is a jpeg and the RAW will have more data available. Just on this occasion, the fish scales in bright light are a nightmare, and in reality, apart from cloning, there is very little that can be done.

Mike

Clack & white birds with silver in bright sunlight, you did better than I could have! I am going to teh May next Monday, do you have any tips??!!

TFS

Clack & white birds with silver in bright sunlight, you did better than I could have! I am going to teh May next Monday, do you have any tips??!!

TFS

John I wish I did but I would just say follow all the suggestions above and maybe start with the settings given by Phil and get your blinkies turned on.
I am going back on Thursday and will be setting mine on these settings given by Phil as a starting point and then I will work it out from there depending on the light on the day. Look forward to seeing your images and have a great day!
Cathy

Thank you Phil :) I am going back on Thursday to try again and I will give these settings a go.
Cathy

Still a lot there feeding their young Bob I was there on Thursday my second visit and loved it. A lot of the pufflings are now out at sea. All Terns now gone never even saw one this time. You can phone the cruise company they will be able to inform you how many are still there and it is well worth the visit. Hope you go it is amazing ! Here is a couple from Thursdays visit.

Herring Gull... by Cooriedoon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nailed those 2 Cathy, the puffin is really nice.

Back