Critique Puffin shot from the Farnes

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
One form a visit to the farnes were I was pretty happy with the outcome ,rather than look for blue sky shots I went in search of opportunities with a green background(my favourite background) slightly disappointed with the blurr on the wing but overhaul I believe (others may not) that the image is strong enough to get away with it. polite CC welcome In flight puffinwith sand eels by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Ya see Dennis....its a strange old world in this birding section......I looked at that and though, outstanding,amazing, superb :clap: ......yet you only felt pretty happy and slightly disappointed with something that I wouldn't have even thought worth mentioning
shrug2.gif

Why are you disappointed with the wing blur, it can add to a shot. Won't comment on this shot yet as on phone screen only.

Beginner??? :confused:

I don't think that it is disappointment with "wing blur" …….. It is just part of Critique that you mention that it is there ….. if Dennis had not mentioned it …and indeed even if he has you can still mention it… and you would also mention anything other that you see

Of course it is a very good shot - but that's not a reason NOT to make comments about the Composition or whatever ….. it being a very good shot can be irrelevant in "Critique"

Lots of guys seem to take it the wrong way and not understand what "critique" is - it is not really about liking it or not - you can say that as well, but that is a personal opinion

The far wing is blurred in part - that is a fact - not a criticism, a fact - not good, not bad…..or to say it spoils the shot or anything negative - and probably Dennis would have preferred in a near prefect world for it not to be blurred or less blurred……. had it been in focus there would have been no comment

But if you mention something like that on here, which Dennis will tell you IS important to MANY Bird photographers to at least discuss ……. all hell breaks loose.

It is not worth making Critique like that on here as we do not have the audience prepared to understand such and why it would be mentioned ….. and that, IMHO is a pity and has stopped the development of the section …… for all

I do not want people to Like what I post - I want them to "Critique" what I post so that I can consider what they say and learn ……. I am even happy for them to look at my images with a very critical eye and also give me their opinion

PS - it may not be or have not been technically possible to get the far wing area in focus - and there lies a discussion point which would be of help and interest to many and to understand why - it is not in focus for a technical reason which may be able to be overcome, the next time

That's what I think anyway - this is a mainly Critique section - not a "post for enjoyment" section .. enjoyment comes out of the Critique given not from whether someone likes your image

Last edited:
what a windbag.

just edited to add a few more thoughts!

just seen that this is in the "Beginners" Section - I need to modify, slightly what I have said.

Last edited:
Dennis - perhaps you'd care to explain what's been done in PP with this, as for me, it seems over-processed, with an almost surreal quality about it.

To quantify this:

1. The area about the head/neck where the white meets black has an almost painted-on look, whilst other parts of the bird in the same focal plain seem 'different'.

2. There is a bizarre green shadow under the bird - especially on tghe belly under the wing. This gets worse every time I look at the shot, both here and on Flickr.

3. There is an odd, sharp, straight line of green about the tail of the first fish/eel, as if the puffin has a green aerofoil or frontal undercarriage!

3. Perhaps because of #2 & #3, I'm much less keen on the green background.

Not a bad image in any way, but if it's not just a grab-shot (like mine are) then I fear too much in the PP stakes going on.

Minimal amount of PP used due to getting it pretty close in camera ,the head ,beak and part of neck were still damp due to bird not being long out of water creating a black sheen ,the shadow you mention is just a darker area of green bank which to me is pretty obvious, not being funny there but it just stands to reason .odd straight line under tail of sandeels ,sorry cant see much their ,i shoot in RAW and to be honest these days i don't usually have to spend much time in my workflow if i do the image is not right and eventually in the bin it goes overcooking isn't normally something i do ,the green background is personal and its a shot i have been looking for so no grab shot here as i nearly always have a shot in mind before i set off on my planned journey ,usually a plan A B and C all based on the light on the day.............I use lightroom only for my processing and i can asure john not much PP going on and you may be pleasantly surprised by how little PP you need to do when you get it right in camera....just asked my 30 year daughter who is a optometrist to have a look at 100% and she pointed something out and showed me and i believe its the area (around sandeels) were i selected,inversed then added NR then deselected but not covered the whole area with the selecting tool ,that's all i can add

Last edited:
Why are you disappointed with the wing blur, it can add to a shot. Won't comment on this shot yet as on phone screen only.
I was annoyed because i had the conditions to get this shot,if both wings were of equal blurr and a nice sharp head with sandeeels i would be happy ,but as said i had the chance to achieve what i wanted but didn't get it ,hope that makes sense

it does and I understand your annoyance now.

Dennis, I'd be absolutely delighted if I'd taken that shot.

Back