Puffins engaged in bloody battle

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen a few Puffin scuffles before, but nothing as prolonged and vicious as this one...
It lasted almost half an hour and included five falls off the cliffs before they'd fly back and carry on - around ten other Puffins walked over to watch.
Edit/ It appeared to be a dispute over a Puffin trying to enter another pair's burrow.

Violent Puffin Fight, Shetland, August 2020tland, August by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Violent Puffin Fight, Shetland, August 2020tland, August by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Edit/ The victorious (I think) Puffin and it's partner standing outside their burrow.

Taken with the 200-400 and a loaned D810 whilst my D500 awaits the insurance company.

Last edited:
A well photographed interesting set John (y)

I've only ever seen Puffins around the East Coast but never witnessed anything as aggressive as these 2

Did it end in exhaustion or a truce? :oops: :$
I think the invader eventually gave up - it seemed to be trying to get in to the burrow of the bloodied one - this one's partner is the one shown in the last couple of pics. Almost felt like stepping in to separate them, lol.

I think the invader eventually gave up - it seemed to be trying to get in to the burrow of the bloodied one - this one's partner is the one shown in the last couple of pics. Almost felt like stepping in to separate them, lol.
Ah, that makes sense now ... context. :)

Lovely set- it amazes me how defensive some of the smaller birds can be, whilst defending a nest/Burrow :runaway:

Les :)

Back