Puffins: Lundy vs Skomer island and best time to visit?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I am very much looking forward to some puffin action this spring. I am planning to pick one sunny day and go for one of the island boat trips. Which one is better and / or easier to get on a boat? Ideally I wouldn't want to book in advance in case weather is poor or I get customers that day.

Skomer has about 18,000 puffins to Lundy's 200. I'm not familiar with exactly what it's like on Lundy, a quick google suggests their puffin locations on the island aren't geographically idea for photography. So I'd suggest doing as everyone else does and head to Skomer.

Skomer's day trips can't be booked in advanced – you have to turn up early and aim to be in the queue early enough for one of the 250 places. During school holidays and at the weekends, that can be a very early start, probably less so for weekdays (no boats run on Mondays). The people who run the boats have a twitter account that gives daily updates on whether sea conditions are a go (@skomer_boatinfo) so you can the night before if you should jump in the car.

However if you're doing Skomer as a day-tripper, you're doing it wrong! Book a stay on the island, miss the day-tripper crowds and enjoy the early/late light when Puffins photograph well. Competition is fierce for the best dates (June-July) when bookings open in Oct/Nov. However, I believe they do tend to end up with some spare dates here and there, especially for earlier in the season (and especially if you're happy with a bunk in the communal room). I'd read http://www.welshwildlife.org/overnight-accommodation-on-skomer/ to get an idea of the prices, then give them a call and see if they've got any space for a night or two during the next month.

Skomer it is then. I'll go for a daytrip on weekday initially and see how it goes first.

Does it make sense to go this or next week or should I rather wait a month or two?

Skomer it is then. I'll go for a daytrip on weekday initially and see how it goes first.

Does it make sense to go this or next week or should I rather wait a month or two?

May-July is the breeding period but for the best opportunities (sand-eels being brought in etc) June is the best month usually.

Island is lovely in May with the flowers coming out but a bit limiting for puffin activity, depending on what you want to achieve. Staying on the island is great. Get a couple of mates and try and book a room together. Evening light is wonderful and there are more birds around after the crowds have gone.

If you're going on a day trip in the June/July period be warned that turning up 30 minutes before the first boat leaves and expecting to get on the island is likely to leave you disappointed. People are queuing at 0700 for the first boat. 15 minute boat ride

Steep climb up stairs from the landing area on the island.

Great place to go, the Wick is very popular with photographers and gets crowded. The wardens will move you on if it becomes too congested.

I try and travel light when I go to the island and leave my 500 at home. The boat carries 50 people on each trip and space is tight. Think sardines in a tin. Last year I stayed for 2 nights on the island and used my 100-400 exclusively for the visit.

Opportunities to photograph other birds as well as Puffins. Razorbills, Guillemots, Short Eared Owls, Little Owls

Never been to Lundy, but did an overnighter on Skomer. The daytime is a great experience, but all my photos I've ever shown anyone are from the times outside the day trippers being there - on a sunny day trying to retain detail in the whites and blacks is just about impossible.

I spent the evening by myself down at the jetty getting down to eye level with the puffins in the sea, then got up before first light and went to the Wick, where I had the place to myself, Magical.

The June/July sand eel period is the usually recommended time. However the first time I went was the week that straddled April–May and I found a lot to recommend it. It was a year of a cold spring (not unlike this year?) and the puffins hadn't long been properly resettling the colony (after the first return, there's a couple of weeks when they only return to land for brief visits on calm evenings). It meant that the island was less busy, there was a lot of courtship behaviour from the puffins rebonding and claiming a burrow, and sunrise/set times meant I got a bit longer in bed!

Skomer's day trips can't be booked in advanced – you have to turn up early and aim to be in the queue early enough for one of the 250 places.

Actually there is a way to get a guaranteed place. We went with Andy Davis (I think he's a member on here as well) and he gets places for his small group photography workshop attendees
http://www.andydavies.info/pages/workshops/skomer.html

I had a day with Andy a while ago. Certainly less hassle just turning up and having a reserved ticket but an expensive way of making sure that you get the first boat. I had a good day but pretty much was left to myself as the group I was with was made up of widely varying levels of experience and I found that he spent the majority of his time with those. The day was a gift from someone so it was no big deal to be left on my todd. If you're competent with your camera then I really don't see much advantage to his trips.

If someone wants to go to the island and get tuition then I can recommend this guy.

http://drewbuckleyphotography.com/workshops

He is a friend of mine but he's a really good bloke and very knowledgeable. You still don't get reserved tickets but you won't have to queue to get them.

If you just want to go yourself then get there early and get a ticket. its no big deal. Take a book and a folding chair.

Puffins is def on my wish list for the next couple of years - would like to get them in Iceland but haven't been at the right time - will be watching this thread for all your sage advice :)

The puffins of Skomer and the Farne Islands must be the most photographed, but I'd love to make it out to some of the more remote islands of Scotland.

Lundy is lovely has lots of birds but not ideal for puffin photgraphy they are a long way away from where the paths are down a steep side in Jenny's Cove, Skomer would be far better I'm sure.

Lundy is lovely has lots of birds but not ideal for puffin photgraphy they are a long way away from where the paths are down a steep side in Jenny's Cove, Skomer would be far better I'm sure.

When I stayed on Skomer the puffins were sitting around my legs quite happily. Even with the day visitors on the island getting close is no problem. Sometimes its better to get yourself away from the main places and go down to the landing stage where you'll be the only one and try for something different.

When I stayed on Skomer the puffins were sitting around my legs quite happily. Even with the day visitors on the island getting close is no problem. Sometimes its better to get yourself away from the main places and go down to the landing stage where you'll be the only one and try for something different.
Jenny's cove is a good few miles walk up the hill from landing stage and halfway over other side of island skomer definitely better !

Some accommodation places near to Skomer will do the queuing for you. I went last mid-June, loads of birds, great day. Stunning location. The boats are of course weather dependent and I had to wait 3 days for the crossings to resume. However I think I was unlucky and it could happen with any island crossing. Worth the wait.

I had a day with Andy a while ago. Certainly less hassle just turning up and having a reserved ticket but an expensive way of making sure that you get the first boat. I had a good day but pretty much was left to myself as the group I was with was made up of widely varying levels of experience and I found that he spent the majority of his time with those. The day was a gift from someone so it was no big deal to be left on my todd. If you're competent with your camera then I really don't see much advantage to his trips.

If someone wants to go to the island and get tuition then I can recommend this guy.

http://drewbuckleyphotography.com/workshops

He is a friend of mine but he's a really good bloke and very knowledgeable. You still don't get reserved tickets but you won't have to queue to get them.

If you just want to go yourself then get there early and get a ticket. its no big deal. Take a book and a folding chair.

Interesting as this is what you thought of the day http://www.andydavies.info/pages/client/garyjenkins.html I certainly make sure that no one is left on their own and stress that I am there all day to support everyone on a one-to-one basis as well as holding group sessions.

I'm pencilling this in my brain for next year, would ideally like some Icelandic puffins, but not sure i'd visit in peak time due to costs over there so this looks like a good choice instead. as i said above, def on my bucket list. Might have to think about getting a lens. Might have a 70-200mm by then, but def wouldn't have a 300mm of my own (FX sensor) so maybe i'd have to rent. As i seem to do most things by myself these days, a group thing might be a better option.

how big is the boat you go over on? i am not keen on boats!

The ferry crossing only takes 10 minutes over a sheltered stretch of water so no need to worry about that.

how big is the boat? i cant swim and dont like small boats :p
It carries 52 passengers and is very stable. I'll be doing the lifejacket demonstration if you come over with me. I'll make sure you're the first one to be given one ;)

I'm pencilling this in my brain for next year, would ideally like some Icelandic puffins, but not sure i'd visit in peak time due to costs over there so this looks like a good choice instead. as i said above, def on my bucket list. Might have to think about getting a lens. Might have a 70-200mm by then, but def wouldn't have a 300mm of my own (FX sensor) so maybe i'd have to rent. As i seem to do most things by myself these days, a group thing might be a better option.

You will have a very high success rate of capturing puffins in flight with a 200mm on an FX sensor.

@Andy Davies thanks - i think i can cope with that kind of boat :) - will have to have a think on seriously considering this - really hoping to have a 70-200mm by then, as long as no more car trouble gets thrown my way! But if not, i'll rent it as i really like that lens :)

Ive been wanting to do orca watch in scotland for a few years now, but it seems so very far and a bit expensive, im hoping i can make this more achievable!

Interesting as this is what you thought of the day http://www.andydavies.info/pages/client/garyjenkins.html I certainly make sure that no one is left on their own and stress that I am there all day to support everyone on a one-to-one basis as well as holding group sessions.

I stand by those comments that I made at that time Andy. They were made as a view of the whole experience not just from a personal point of view.

For less experienced photographers then there is lots to recommend it but, as you have no control over the make up of the groups, less experienced people expect more of your time.

I also stand by the comments about being pretty much left to myself. I also qualified it by saying that was ok. I realise that the group I was with that day may have been exceptionally inexperienced and I had no issues with you devoting your time to them. Your opening words to me when we went to the wardens house and everyone got out their cameras were " are you sure you should be on this workshop".

I did, and still would, recommend it to aspiring photographers but by the very nature of a group that size you cannot be all things to all people and that is the reason for my comment about competent photographers.

As a final point, I did at the time and have since recommended your trips to people who wanted to guarantee getting onto the island with the least amount of hassle.

Last edited:
I've not been to Lundy so can't comment but have been to Skomer quite a few times and the only word that describes it is "Magical"

This is my son being stalked by the locals ;)

neil_puff.jpg

Im heading off for a camping trip to Pembrokeshire soon, is it still worth a day out on Skomer in August? It won't be a major photo trip just a general touristy type day out.

Im heading off for a camping trip to Pembrokeshire soon, is it still worth a day out on Skomer in August? It won't be a major photo trip just a general touristy type day out.

Unlikely to get any/many puffins but if you get a fine day it is a great island. Make sure you take a packed lunch and drink. Pembrokeshire is beautiful.

It's worth the trip even without the puffins. The island has plenty of other wildlife (little owls &SEO's!). The coast around Skomer is great, something many miss if favour of the puffins.

It's worth the trip even without the puffins. The island has plenty of other wildlife (little owls &SEO's!). The coast around Skomer is great, something many miss if favour of the puffins.
Thanks Rob, we're off to Pembrokeshire tomorrow and it looks like we might get some decent weather so really looking forward to it.

Thinking of taking the plunge for 2019 - is it possible to book accommodation and then do your own thing? or do you have to be part of an organised over night workshop? I can see there are a number of companies/people offering 2-3 night stays on the island with tuition - but as I'm an anti social git, i dunno if i want to do the communal room sharing thing, or how the food side of things works if you are going for more than one day.

does anyone have any experience about overnight trips/workshops they can impart? am on a few waiting lists for details - and have just got the 70-200mm i was talking about way back in 2016 in this thread but not sure what the best options are for solo travel

You're best booking through the Welsh wildlife trust. Bookings normally open up around September and you'll need to be fairly quick, members get first choice of bookings. No need to be part of an organised workshop. You won't get your own room unless you pay double. I normally stay in the 5 bed dorm as thats the cheapest, and you can be as social as you want to be.

You take all your own food and drink and bed sheets - its very basic and you're responsible for yourself, so be aware you'll be carrying and passing all luggage up the steps when you first get there, then they'll take the gear to the accommodation in a tractor.

I love the place. 70-200 possibly a touch short for frame filling flight shots, put plenty for when they're on the ground.

Unless you live reasonably close you might want to consider staying in a B&B the night before you go

Mike

but as I'm an anti social git, i dunno if i want to do the communal room sharing thing, or how the food side of things works if you are going for more than one day.

I'm sure somebody will confirm, but when I looked into it, sharing a bunkhouse was the only option...

thanks @pooley and @Jelster - the welsh wildlife trust seems to say you can stay in a room with two single beds and pay regular price plus 50% - although when it's so small, i do feel a bit mean, but would be far more likely to sleep if by myself (I have weird dreams about strange people in my flat/house/room and thats when im alone with all the doors locked!)

Sounds like a fun test for an over packer like me lol.

Not sure i've got the skill to be doing frame filling flight shots - or the biceps, so i think its my best bet at this point.

I'm in Essex so yeah def have to stay somewhere night before - so not sure i can justify a longer workshop, but also, seeing as I am clueless, it would be a wasted opportunity to go and just try and wing it (no pun intended) and then be disappointed with the shots. Then most of the 2 day workshops seem to cover all the fees and accommodation and meals and stuff (altho maybe im too fussy for the meal thing) hmmmmm. Wish i had a similarly puffin/photography loving friend!

Ive been the last few years but I'm not going this year for a number of reasons (both photography and personal). You can book direct via the wildlife trust, no need to do the photography workshops. Bookings for members opens the first two weeks of October and the main dates go pretty fast. There a about 5-6 rooms which vary from the 5 bed dorm room to 2-3 twin rooms and triple & quadruple rooms (if I remember rightly). You can book a single place in the mixed dorm room but have to book the other rooms at the full of the room (i.e. there is no single supplement). The rooms are actually surprisingly good, better than I expected them to be. There is electricity powered by solar, bottled gas for cooking and running the hot water in the evenings (powered by solar during the day). There is a basic kitchen to cook in and a lounge with sofa's and two tables. You are booking up months in advance so the weather is a huge gamble, and the boats running too because if the wind is in the wrong direction they can't land on Skomer (I've not experienced that yet but I often see their twits says no boats running during the summer so it can happen.

To be honest I've now got mixed feelings about Skomer having visited for the last few years. As an experience its great and t's difficult to get the same experience else where (going out around 1-2am for the Manx Shearwaters is a must- as a nature lover its fantastic to experience the noise and atmosphere of them coming in under darkness). It can be a lottery who is on the island with you, you can get some great people to be with or can get some right a*******s (the one who told me one year its everyone for themselves for example). Part of my problem now is the impact photographers are potentially having. Each year more and more photographers turn up. I've been there when there are only a few photographers at the Wick in the evening (once I was the only photographer), then last years possibly 15-16 of us (that included a film crew too), all within what is roughly about 30m of clifftop. To get low eye level images means laying down, taking up room across the path and stopping the Puffins crossing the path if there are a number of you doing the same. Most people act well around the Puffins but some don't, and there is the potential for damage to be caused to burrows or stopping Puffins with sand eels getting to their burrow before they are attacked by the Gulls. Every time I see those Puffin with Sand Eel images it makes me think should it really be possible to take those images, the Puffin should land and be straight in it's burrow rather than be standing about with enough time for a photo. (That said it can be possible for young/non breeding Puffins to replicate this behaviour and stand about with nowhere to go). To be honest I've been feeling this way about wildlife photography for a while, I don't want to go anywhere where I would join a circus of photographers (one of the reasons I don't go to places like Richmond Park). Its not a slight on Skomer in any way, its sadly a victim of its own success photography wise. I wouldn't say don't go because of this as its a great experience but just follow the code every wildlife photographer should follow (the animals welfare is more important than a photo), and make sure to be polite to everyone else staying (remember not everyone staying will be a photographer. There will be birders and some who come just to get away from it all) and everything should be fine.

thanks @pooley and @Jelster - the welsh wildlife trust seems to say you can stay in a room with two single beds and pay regular price plus 50% - although when it's so small, i do feel a bit mean, but would be far more likely to sleep if by myself (I have weird dreams about strange people in my flat/house/room and thats when im alone with all the doors locked!)

Sounds like a fun test for an over packer like me lol.

Not sure i've got the skill to be doing frame filling flight shots - or the biceps, so i think its my best bet at this point.

I'm in Essex so yeah def have to stay somewhere night before - so not sure i can justify a longer workshop, but also, seeing as I am clueless, it would be a wasted opportunity to go and just try and wing it (no pun intended) and then be disappointed with the shots. Then most of the 2 day workshops seem to cover all the fees and accommodation and meals and stuff (altho maybe im too fussy for the meal thing) hmmmmm. Wish i had a similarly puffin/photography loving friend!

I'm not sure a two day workshop is necessary as there is only so much the tutor can teach you. Static puffins are easy to photograph, in flight they are very difficult but once you have been taught the technique it is down to your ability and equipment. In 2015 I went on a one day, non residential course with the organiser arranging the ferry and landing tickets for the first boat. I stayed nearby on the mainland. Very enjoyable but most struggled with BIF, as did most members of the group.

I went again last year but arranged everything myself. Stayed on the mainland at a top quality B&B which provided a great service in having somebody queue for ferry tickets whilst I had a leisurely breakfast. Like you I don't like sharing a bedroom with a stranger partly as my snoring has been known to make roommates sleep in the corridor. At my age I also enjoy my creature comforts. I visited Skomer twice during my stay. Very enjoyable but BIF still difficult.

I have some sympathy with rob-nikon as although visitor nos are limited each day, they have different requirements and some are just very selfish. The wardens are also variable, some like to help visitors, others are very officiously and seem to detest photographers. You are given a briefing on arriving at the island on the importance of keeping to the paths and allowing space for landing puffins to reach their burrows, but unfortunately some choose to ignore this instruction. If you expect to be able to lay down to get shots at peak times, forget it.

I joined WWT last year and was about to book accommodation on the island for this year but decided against it on account of my snoring etc. They did not offer single occupancy at increased rates but I didn't ask. I'm sure staying on the island offers more photo opportunities.

I was caught out by bad weather in 2015. Although the distance between the mainland and Skomer is short, the wind is temperamental and I had to wait 3 days for a ferry. Ended up an expensive visit.

Don't let this put you off, it is well worth the visit, even if you don't take any photos.

I have some sympathy with rob-nikon as although visitor nos are limited each day, they have different requirements and some are just very selfish. The wardens are also variable, some like to help visitors, others are very officiously and seem to detest photographers. You are given a briefing on arriving at the island on the importance of keeping to the paths and allowing space for landing puffins to reach their burrows, but unfortunately some choose to ignore this instruction. If you expect to be able to lay down to get shots at peak times, forget it.

I probably need to explain I was staying overnight, I’ve only ever done one day trip whilst I’ve now stayed three times. I dont go down to the wick during the day, I retreat back to the accomdation to relax as soon as the first boat arrives. It’s very busy with day trippers and as I was able to visit outside of day trip times it’s not fair on day trippers swelling the numbers further when you have plenty of time outside the day trippers (Day trippers are only on the island roughly between 10am-4pm so there are two very good morning and evening sessions- at the start of July sunrise is around 4-5am and sunset about 9-10pm so there plenty of time outside of day trips). You are definitely right that you can’t think of laying down on the path on a day trip, it’s far too busy during the day and would cause a huge bottleneck as the path isn’t very wide.

There is around 16 overnight spaces so it’s a huge reduction in numbers compared to during the day. Last year I was probably unlucky as there was roughly 12 photographers out of 16 staying and a 4 man film crew. It made the wick very busy in the evenings.

Most of the wardens are volunteers who change weekly (there are a couple of longer term volunteer places as well as the permanent wardens and the visiting officer). If you stay overnight you get to know the volunteer wardens, ive found them to be very approachable and helpful during my stays, often telling me what and where they have seen the little owls and SEOs. Most of them are avid bird watchers rather than photographers, I think as photographers we sometimes forget that others have a different aim to us. To be fair during the day at the wick they have a very hard job, there are 250 day trippers all on an island to see puffins and there is only one very small area where everyone heads to. Having several photographers with huge 500mm f4 and 600mm f4 lenses setting up and never moving all day can make things a little more challenging for the wardens.

Personally I don’t think the workshops can teach anyone anything on Skomer. It’s better to stay overnight to get the chance to visit in the best light periods. Portraits of puffins in the evenings is probably as easy as wildlife gets. They are literally 1-2m away max, stand quite still most of the time and usually quite relaxed towards people (remember they see so many people on a daily basis). The hardest thing is trying to get the whole beak in focus if it’s head on to you. A focal length of 70-200 is perfect for portraits. You don’t need wide apertures to get a nice diffused background as you can get low with the background cliffs a long way behind the puffins and you only have a very short distance to the subject. For in flight you need something longer but it’s very much trial and error. Puffins are small, fast and erratic in flight, definitely not an easy task.

Don’t let me put you off in any way, Skomer is a fantastic place and worth visiting/staying on. Its probably just me being unsociable! I partly do photography to get away from it all so turning up and being part of a large number of photographers in such a small area makes me question myself. That said there can only be 16 people max overnight so it’s not too bad, much better than the 250 during the day.

Last edited:
I probably need to explain I was staying overnight, I’ve only ever done one day trip whilst I’ve now stayed three times. I dont go down to the wick during the day, I retreat back to the accomdation to relax as soon as the first boat arrives. It’s very busy with day trippers and as I was able to visit outside of day trip times it’s not fair on day trippers swelling the numbers further when you have plenty of time outside the day trippers (Day trippers are only on the island roughly between 10am-4pm so there are two very good morning and evening sessions- at the start of July sunrise is around 4-5am and sunset about 9-10pm so there plenty of time outside of day trips). You are definitely right that you can’t think of laying down on the path on a day trip, it’s far too busy during the day and would cause a huge bottleneck as the path isn’t very wide.

There is around 16 overnight spaces so it’s a huge reduction in numbers compared to during the day. Last year I was probably unlucky as there was roughly 12 photographers out of 16 staying and a 4 man film crew. It made the wick very busy in the evenings.

Most of the wardens are volunteers who change weekly (there are a couple of longer term volunteer places as well as the permanent wardens and the visiting officer). If you stay overnight you get to know the volunteer wardens, ive found them to be very approachable and helpful during my stays, often telling me what and where they have seen the little owls and SEOs. Most of them are avid bird watchers rather than photographers, I think as photographers we sometimes forget that others have a different aim to us. To be fair during the day at the wick they have a very hard job, there are 250 day trippers all on an island to see puffins and there is only one very small area where everyone heads to. Having several photographers with huge 500mm f4 and 600mm f4 lenses setting up and never moving all day can make things a little more challenging for the wardens.

Personally I don’t think the workshops can teach anyone anything on Skomer. It’s better to stay overnight to get the chance to visit in the best light periods. Portraits of puffins in the evenings is probably as easy as wildlife gets. They are literally 1-2m away max, stand quite still most of the time and usually quite relaxed towards people (remember they see so many people on a daily basis). The hardest thing is trying to get the whole beak in focus if it’s head on to you. A focal length of 70-200 is perfect for portraits. You don’t need wide apertures to get a nice diffused background as you can get low with the background cliffs a long way behind the puffins and you only have a very short distance to the subject. For in flight you need something longer but it’s very much trial and error. Puffins are small, fast and erratic in flight, definitely not an easy task.

Don’t let me put you off in any way, Skomer is a fantastic place and worth visiting/staying on. Its probably just me being unsociable! I partly do photography to get away from it all so turning up and being part of a large number of photographers in such a small area makes me question myself. That said there can only be 16 people max overnight so it’s not too bad, much better than the 250 during the day.

Good post Rob. Especially the point about some photographers never moving all day. I was probably just unlucky with one warden.

As you say, whatever the possible negatives, it is still wonderful.

Back