Puffins

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Lovely weather yesterday for it, cracking tan aswell! 20c plus all afternoon, made it challanging with the light but still workable.

Canon 1Dx - 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
f/4 - 1/3200 - ISO 200

Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica)
by Joe Turner, on Flickr

f/4 - 1/3200 - ISO 1250

by Joe Turner, on Flickr

f/4 - 1/3200 - ISO 320

by Joe Turner, on Flickr

f/4 - 1/2500 - ISO 250

by Joe Turner, on Flickr

f/4 - 1/2500 - ISO 250

by Joe Turner, on Flickr

f/4 - 1/3200 - ISO 800

Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica) by Joe Turner, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
exceptional shots Joe, very well shot. Love the in flight shot with sandeels with a lovely flowerbed background.

where did you to shoot these? did you make it to Skomer?

Nice set of photos, I must get out there ASAP seeing it’s on my doorstep. Did you stay there or a day trip?

And yesterday was a nice day! I was on a different island yesterday and got very Sunburned ouch.

nice shots
but looks like you've blown the highlights in some of these shots
seen you post far better standard than this before
just my opinion as i thought it was only people like me totally amateur that done that kind of thing
i thought you were up at pro standard especially with the kit you have access to

Cracking set Joe - you've certainly made the best of your visit! If I had to pick my fav, it would be the second shot with the sand eels in it's bill (y)

Russ

Cheers Russ! :)

exceptional shots Joe, very well shot. Love the in flight shot with sandeels with a lovely flowerbed background.

where did you to shoot these? did you make it to Skomer?

Skomer indeed, after your recommendation, walked the full one way loop of the island, all these bar one taken at the wick location, really challenging light as its was 90% shooting into the sun, and as you know the ones with the sun going the right way are few and far between looking inland! (y)

Nice set of photos, I must get out there ASAP seeing it’s on my doorstep. Did you stay there or a day trip?

And yesterday was a nice day! I was on a different island yesterday and got very Sunburned ouch.

Thanks Jase, Did the day trip to Skomer, would love to stay the night but I hear wait lists are rather long, something on the cards for the future for sure. It was indeed, put it this way my feet are that white compared to my legs they don't look part of my body any longer! :D

nice shots
but looks like you've blown the highlights in some of these shots
seen you post far better standard than this before
just my opinion as i thought it was only people like me totally amateur that done that kind of thing
i thought you were up at pro standard especially with the kit you have access to

Completely agree with you, 3 has a little and 6 (last one) you could argue alot on the chest, the downsides to not being able to photograph at the time of day you want too, with the boat timings you can argue with a beautiful blue sky with no clouds its great to sit in and go into but a downside for the camera specially with the dark cliffs to over sunny grass change when the birds are inflight, all in all got a couple I'm happy with from the day and would possibly take further and publish, but nothing major, thanks for the reply (y)

A great set; each nicely different. Well done. :) (y)

Thanks Trevor :)

Excellent shots.
Love #2....

Cheers Bob :)

Great set. Can't even choose a favourite.

I posted some recently but none had those sand eels. Maybe they weren't hungry that day..lol.

Skomer indeed, after your recommendation, walked the full one way loop of the island, all these bar one taken at the wick location, really challenging light as its was 90% shooting into the sun, and as you know the ones with the sun going the right way are few and far between looking inland! (y)

yes the lighting can work against your sometimes.
IMO this is the main reason to stay on the island. you can pick the best times when the light works for you instead of against you. I have been on two trips and I want to go on more but having been both 10am (first boat) and 12pm (last boat) I do not think there is really a best time during the day trip. I imagine the morning and evening i.e. before and after day trips arrive and leave is probably really the best time for it.

No idea if an overnight stay will be possible next year but I will try for it.

All has been said Joe, you've done your bit, nice action, accurate AF, some nice imagination, but bright light is a killer with puffins - exactly the same happened to me at the farnes 2 years ago.

I got loads of nice shots but binned almost all of them due to the light.

Overnight stays are a totally different story though, sat alone at the wick is a wonderful experience. I'm incredibly lucky with some of the places I've been, but Dawn and dusk at the wick is right up there with my favourite places on earth to be.

I'm fact, I'm normally asleep when the day trippers are on the island unless it's really overcast!

Mike

I did notice the blown whites but photographs are more important than just technical perfectness.
with the challenging light and the birds themselves getting technically correct shots of them can be tricky. the bird themselves are largely at the opposite end of the spectrum (both black and white).
I personally just underexpose them, boost them in post and recover shadows for the details in black feathers/parts.

I did notice the blown whites but photographs are more important than just technical perfectness.
with the challenging light and the birds themselves getting technically correct shots of them can be tricky. the bird themselves are largely at the opposite end of the spectrum (both black and white).
I personally just underexpose them, boost them in post and recover shadows for the details in black feathers/parts.

The OP has a Canon camera...dynamic range isn't what it is on a Nikon or Sony. There is quite a difference - these are fine

Back