Purple Peak District

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Me and my mate made a weekend dash up to Derbyshire for the heather in bloom last weekend.

Got done by the cloud cover in my opinion, most of our locations were based around nice warm side light to work with, or colourful skies to shoot into. For sunset we never saw the sun, and at sunrise we had a burst of colour on the horizon then it took an hour to get high enough to light anything up. Still pleased we went though, and I've got loads more to process.

Sunrise over Over Owler Tor by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Silver Birch & Heather by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Over Owler Tor Gritstones & Heather by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Silver Birch & Heather by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Bamford Edge by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Copse of Trees & Heather by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking C & C welcome.

I agree about #1....the sky makes it.

I also like the composition on #4. I've been there a few times and sometimes struggle with the composition by being at the highest point but looks like you went a bit lower down which works well.

Nice shots. The first one is my favourite. Looks like you're looking into Mordor.

I agree about #1....the sky makes it.

I also like the composition on #4. I've been there a few times and sometimes struggle with the composition by being at the highest point but looks like you went a bit lower down which works well.

Another vote for #1, it has great atmosphere.

A nice selection. Heather is such a wonderful colour, I'm surprised it's not a more popular subject. Mind you, the weather in August has been so crap in recent years.......

First one definately my favourite. Lovely atmosphere to it

Really like number one, it looks positively apocalyptic.

Thanks guys, at the time I was a bit gutted the sun never lit the landscape up, but when I went back through the images this moment had plenty of atmosphere to it.

For me two. I like the brighter, lighter, more summery feel of the shot over one.

Cheers Steve, yes, even though the sun was higher by this time I was pleased to see it as the blue skies and sunshine suits the heather in a different way to the first shot.

Lovely set Craig, although more muted I really like the comp in the Bamford Edge one

Thanks Stuart, yes this shot was crying out for the light to come through. Regarding composition I used 18mm nearly entirely for the whole trip to encourage myself to think about wide angle shots. I was very low for this one so it is actually focus stacked, and luminosity blended. I intend to do a lot more with the 18mm in future.

That's a nice set Craig! I Like No1 but I feel the heather is just a touch to saturated, however I guess the overcast conditions tends to saturate the colour more. (I was there the other week too but all my sunrises were flat as a pancake). Its still a killer combination with the strong colour of the sunrise the heather and the threatening cloud, Nice!
Like Bamford edge too, great vista across Ladybower. As Stuart says nice muted tones. I had to watch the SS along the edges as the heather and the trees were wafting around like the clappers

Nice work Craig but for me the shadows have been lifted too much losing the play of the light.

Stunning, love the first. Is it looking up towards Higgor Tor and Stanage Edge?

Great set from one of the best areas in England(imo), no.1 is my favourite however no.5 is my favourite view in the peaks from bamford edge.

That's a nice set Craig! I Like No1 but I feel the heather is just a touch to saturated, however I guess the overcast conditions tends to saturate the colour more. (I was there the other week too but all my sunrises were flat as a pancake). Its still a killer combination with the strong colour of the sunrise the heather and the threatening cloud, Nice!
Like Bamford edge too, great vista across Ladybower. As Stuart says nice muted tones. I had to watch the SS along the edges as the heather and the trees were wafting around like the clappers

I know what you mean about the heather blowing in the wind mate, thanks for your comment. Looking forward to seeing what you got too.

Nice work Craig but for me the shadows have been lifted too much losing the play of the light.

Looking back on these a couple of weeks later I really appreciate this comment Alf, and I agree with you. I think the processing is fairly accurate to the light, and the mood I was in when I done them but the tree shots in particular need a little more dark contrast. Cheers.

Stunning, love the first. Is it looking up towards Higgor Tor and Stanage Edge?

Yep, you got it, thanks.

Really like No 1 - it has bags of atmosphere. Also like the Bamford edge shot -reminds me of my early days on my local patch of the Peak District.

Great set from one of the best areas in England(imo), no.1 is my favourite however no.5 is my favourite view in the peaks from bamford edge.

Lovely set there Craig. Fantastic place the Peaks.

Cheers guys. I'll be back next year!

Really like the colours in one. Do you know how much longer the heather lasts for?

Nice work Craig, lovely set.

My fave is the last but one and if that had had some light going up the valley, it would have been epic. I love the whole set, the colour and light are wonderful.

Back