Purple Sandpiper...another weekend, another Twitch".Close up image added.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Lovely little birds these are, a first sighting for me too.
Two birds had been reported in the area/location, but i think i only found the one.

Despite the strong winds and early morning light rain, the afternoon cleared up to give some great low winter sunshine.

Sometimes the local weather forecast, is "bang on the money".

Cheers Paul.

Purple Sandpiper. Hampton Pier. 30th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The next 2 images are not cropped.

Purple Sandpiper (uncropped). Hampton Pier. 30th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Purple Sandpiper (uncropped). Hampton Pier. 30th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Great shots! I've only ever seen one and got some shots but not as good as these.

Great shots! I've only ever seen one and got some shots but not as good as these.

Cheers Chris, i spent at least 2 hours in the area! which meant climbing/balancing on rocks! wiping sea spray off the lens.
Searching/re-locating the little bird down on the beach, laying on the pebbles and sneaking closer an closer, whilst keeping an eye on the surf/tide!
I was always going to get some half decent images on the day...........well, that was the plan anyway.

Nice work Paul don't like sound of spent 2hours in area / wiping sea spray off lens :eek:

Nice little bird, #1 for me ... saw one in breeding colours last year :)

Nice little bird, #1 for me ... saw one in breeding colours last year :)

Thanks mate, i would think that in their breeding colours, these would look smart.

Yeah, i was lucky with that 1st image(its a small crop). I was shooting some pics of it "tucked up" half behind a rock, when a small wave nearly knocked it off the rocks!
Whilst the bird re-gained its composer, i took advantage of it being out in the open...although, i missed a few action shots with the water, but you cant win em all!

Cheers Chris, i spent at least 2 hours in the area! which meant climbing/balancing on rocks! wiping sea spray off the lens.
Searching/re-locating the little bird down on the beach, laying on the pebbles and sneaking closer an closer, whilst keeping an eye on the surf/tide!
I was always going to get some half decent images on the day...........well, that was the plan anyway.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. My girlfriend is at uni in Cornwall about a minute walk from the beach so I'm often down there doing the same thing.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. My girlfriend is at uni in Cornwall about a minute walk from the beach so I'm often down there doing the same thing.

Excellent, the beach is a great place for sure...just remember to give the girlfriend a little attention first, before you leave her for hours on end, in search of that perfect "beach bird" shot ;)

A couple more images from that same session, cheers Paul.

Close up shot here, an one of the last shots of the day.

Purple Sandpiper, close up. Hampton Pier. 30th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Purple Sandpiper, Hampton Pier. 30th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Very nice shots Paul(y) A bird I've only recently discovered.

I saw these in the 'What Have You Seen Today' thread and did think they deserved a thread of their own:)

Excellent, the beach is a great place for sure...just remember to give the girlfriend a little attention first, before you leave her for hours on end, in search of that perfect "beach bird" shot ;)

Well lucky that I am, she's studying zoology and is really into birding and has just got her own camera and lens so she joins me! :D

Very nice shots Paul(y) A bird I've only recently discovered.

I saw these in the 'What Have You Seen Today' thread and did think they deserved a thread of their own:)

Cheers for that Phil.

Well lucky that I am, she's studying zoology and is really into birding and has just got her own camera and lens so she joins me! :D

Sounds like you are onto a "keeper" there mate, who knows, maybe you will end up borrowing her "top of the range" camera gear, in the near future, if she gets right into it. ;)

I only ever took my wife out with me the once!!!..................after less than half an hour, she says to me - "How many photos do you need to take of that Butterfly"...Needless to say, it was the 1st, and last time for her!!! ;)

Love the set, Paul...the very first image is a beauty, with great lighting and a good pose.

Nicely taken shots (y)

Cheers for that Phil.

Sounds like you are onto a "keeper" there mate, who knows, maybe you will end up borrowing her "top of the range" camera gear, in the near future, if she gets right into it. ;)

I only ever took my wife out with me the once!!!..................after less than half an hour, she says to me - "How many photos do you need to take of that Butterfly"...Needless to say, it was the 1st, and last time for her!!! ;)

Lol, my missus would never come out with me. She can't see the beauty of nature!

Back