Non UK Pyrenees next week

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m off to the Pyrenees at the weekend and will be there a week. My plan currently is to go to Ordesa national Park, and then one or two other places.

Does anyone have any advice?

I’ll probably be in the Dolomites later in the month too, but am somewhat knowledgable there. Much less so in the Pyrenees!

Thanks

You can’t go wrong. I’m there now.

Gavarnie in France is essential - hit the Pic Du Tentes trail for a different take on the Cirque.

Ibon de Piedrafita in the Tena valley is nice - I was there yesterday but the lake level is low.

Ibons de Anayet

Ossau Valley - do the walk to Ayous refuge

Ibonet de Batisielles
Ibon de Plan

Anisclo Canyon

Just to name a few

Thanks, that's a very helpful list! I might start to put together a Google map of locations to make this easier. I find European parks to have vastly less info about hikes and locations compared to the US, so it can be a challenge for me to plan!

Do you have an opinion on good locations to be based? I'm only there for a week, so not much time. Broto is one idea as a base that I have. I think I would be best to base in two locations to give time in each area and an ability to not have to worry so much about weather.

It's tempting to stay in one area and do the French side and Spanish side. So somewhere north of Gavarnie, and then somewhere west of Ordesa.

Last edited:
Don’t stay in France. Just drive into France for French locations but stay in Spain overnight. Hotels are literally half the price and the Spanish are a lot more accommodating re food times ie you can get food all the time pretty much in Spain but France tends to be more rigid. If you want to eat dinner after an evening out that’s a deal breaker - particularly as most locations here require a degree of walking to and/or some driving. Actually bar the Anisclo Canyon and Embalse de Pineta all of these require a degree of walking.

Broto is a fine place to stay. It’s ideal if you want to really focus on the Ordesa Valley. It is quite central with the Tena valley maybe 30-40mins drive - the Ossau Valley just over an hour away. My approach is to generally pick locations according to the weather forecast then find a hotel but I’m very drawn to the idea of one hotel that’s central that suits my requirements.

I’m currently holed up in Bielsa but the room is £33/night and the hotel has masses of private parking so that’s ideal for me. Bielsa is a little more out the way but I drove back from Torla in a little more than an hour but I drive somewhat faster than most and I like driving - more than hiking anyway. There’s also a cracking lake that works well in the morning nearby that requires no hiking (I’ll be honest I don’t like hiking - I’ll hike to take pictures but not for the fun of it).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!

I’d say I’m more there for walks than photography. Photography is an excuse for me that makes me go on hikes in beautiful places!

My current thought is to head down to Gavarnie after my flight lands. Then stay a night somewhere near there, then head down to Spain via a route that gives me a hike or two in France.

I may just book a few nights accommodation and book the rest when I’m there.

Is phone signal ok around there?

Thanks for all the info!

I’d say I’m more there for walks than photography. Photography is an excuse for me that makes me go on hikes in beautiful places!

My current thought is to head down to Gavarnie after my flight lands. Then stay a night somewhere near there, then head down to Spain via a route that gives me a hike or two in France.

I may just book a few nights accommodation and book the rest when I’m there.

Is phone signal ok around there?

Phone signal is mint to be fair. Better than UK by a mile.

If it’s hiking you like the Ordesa Valley offers a lot so your plan to stay in Broto makes sense.

I did the first part of the Faja de Pelay yesterday-total lung buster and would much rather have been able to drive but the view is mega and if you actively like hiking it’s the one. The views a total 10/10 so I put myself through that walk time and time again...

There’s other walks in the Ordesa Valley that are long but not so steep.

The trail in Gavarnie village is fine but maybe a bit padestrian - I like the Pic Du Tentes walk. Not arduous but mega views. You can scare yourself silly and do the Breche de Rolland walk and hike into Spain but that’s for experienced mountaineers. Gavarnie hotel wise is expensive-I stayed in the hotel Terminus in Luz St Saviour and it was fine but a hotel of a better calibre costs literally half in Spain.

The Ossau Valley has a lovely walk up to the Ayous refuge - not hard but not a stroll either - do it on a still day and get there to the refuge for sunset (it might be closed so it’s a head torch job back to the car) - from there just drive to a hotel in Spain via Formigal...don’t stay in Laruns. Rip of central and the road to Spain is very nice to drive on.

The Tena Valley - there’s heaps there - the Ibon de Piedrafita is a nice walk easy but more than a stroll. There’s lots more though like the walk to the refuge respomuso - I’ve not done it yet because I need a still day to get reflections at a lake a little beyond this - and it’s a 3hr hike each way so I want to be confident what’s waiting for me is worth it.

You’ve got the Ibon de Estanes walk. Looks easy but not found a day still enough. There’s the Ibon de Acherito walk but you guessed it - not found a day still enough.

There’s a website that gives heaps of info on the area. It’s geared up for hikers though not dedicated photographers but it’ll help you plan great hikes!

https://www.excursionesporhuesca.es

If you click on my social media pages and website (blog and galleries) you can see what the place is all about.

My feeling - having done the Dolomites albeit briefly is that the Pyrenees are better. Less spoilt, due to their unique geology a real feast for the eyes and just a really special place you’d want to call home.

Last edited:
I'm in the pyrenees myself at the moment... Anyone else still about?

When are you in Gavarnie? I was there yesterday up near the Dam
I am - a bit stuck at the moment. Too clear to grab anything of real substance so having a nice lunch.

I’ve got a few nice ones and am here for two more weeks - I’ll be at Pic Du Tentes tomorrow evening in Gavarnie

What time? I'll come up....

Do you mean here....? What time Screenshot_20191012_134054_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpeg

Oh dear..... Hope your OK mate.... It was awesome up there tonight.... I was only Tog up there

I’m on the way to Pic Du Tentes. I drive a black Volvo S80 reg Mark M16 SFT and if I’m not in the car I’ll be on the trail

I’m on crap number 13 today so if you see me with my trousers down then that’s why...

Lol poor you.... I'm not up there today mate... Off to airport at 5 anyway... Boo hiss home today

How are you doing now pal? Fully recovered.... [emoji106]

How are you doing now pal? Fully recovered.... [emoji106]

No - not yet but it’s not as bad - it seems I have contracted a thing called giardiasis - I’ve got all the tell tale signs and it’s easily contracted if you drink untreated water (guilty as charged)

I’ve been getting shots but also having to crap alfresco on my outings. Not ideal.

The plus is it does go away in 2-6 weeks and if not - it’s easily treated with antibiotics so can wait to I’m back home. What’s important now is I get the shots I want and work around this thing whilst I’m here which by adapting my meal times I’m getting there

Last edited:
I'm back again Steven.... Any reflections I can capter you know of today......

I'm back again Steven.... Any reflections I can capter you know of today......

Bloody hell - lucky you. I miss it terribly and they’re always on my mind.

Reckon from what I see on social media from over there it’s full snow ahead - so a lot of the higher up lakes could be frozen.

That said - I’d try Embalse de Pineta, Lac D’Oredon if the roads open. If not you might be able to drive most of the way up and just walk the rest - I did that one may.

I’d try Piedrafita lake and maybe the lakes at the Ayous Refuge.

Get over to Gavarnie and up to the Ordesa Valley too

Back