Question about the new CC and CC Classic

Name
Leroy
Edit My Images
Yes
So ive updated to the new cc classic, which i subscribe to through the Photograpy plan, and also the CC version. My question is...Does my subscription cover both products? As ive reader here about the storage costs. I hope it does, or I will be binning the CC.

So ive updated to the new cc classic, which i subscribe to through the Photograpy plan, and also the CC version. My question is...Does my subscription cover both products? As ive reader here about the storage costs. I hope it does, or I will be binning the CC.

It does. You'll find for the CC (essentially mobile version) you'll need to pay more for more storage. AFAIK, anyway.

Cheers.

I've just come off the Adobe site and really can't make sense of it, if I go for the update using the Creative Cloud panel am I committing to paying the extra, just don't know... I'm close to binning too. As a hobby/club photographer I'm now beginning to think Adobe doesn't realise where most of their users come from...

I've just come off the Adobe site and really can't make sense of it, if I go for the update using the Creative Cloud panel am I committing to paying the extra, just don't know... I'm close to binning too. As a hobby/club photographer I'm now beginning to think Adobe doesn't realise where most of their users come from...

This:

I pay £9.98 pm and as a hobbyist I'm OK with that.

Cheers.

Last edited:
On the website there are 3 'Photography' options:

(1) PS, LR CC, LR Classic CC, 20GB = £9.98
(2) PS, LR CC, LR Classic CC, 1TB = £19.97
(3) LR CC, 1TB = £9.98

(1) is like the existing Photography plan, only with the new versions of LR. If you don't want more storage, you should pay the same as before.

I was confused too...

They're basically charging for LR Mobile by throwing 1Tb storage at it. You continue to get it for free as part of the Photography plan but without the large storage.

My fear is that classic will eventually be deprecated (just like standalone) and I'll be left with a bunch of substandard tools for mobile and a ton of storage I'll never use. It's just a fear though, and until that day, I'll continue to be a photography plan subber.

Lots of tools missing on the CC version. I guess its a work in progress.

What you get in Classic but not in CC

Probably a few others as well.

Change sort order / filter photos in Import dialog
Add metadata during import
Apply presets during import
Rename photos during import
Tethered Shooting & Watched Folders
View Photos in Survey View
View Photos in Compare View
Secondary Screen
Secondary Screen
Organize using Folders
Color Labels
Add other IPTC metadata
Tone Curves
Split Toning
Sync settings
Match Total Exposures
History
Reference View
Snapshots
Soft Proofing
Send to Photoshop Elements
Send to Other External Editors
Third-Party Plug-ins Yes No
Export as new file name
Export with watermark
Export with specific metadata

I was confused too...

They're basically charging for LR Mobile by throwing 1Tb storage at it. You continue to get it for free as part of the Photography plan but without the large storage.

My fear is that classic will eventually be deprecated (just like standalone) and I'll be left with a bunch of substandard tools for mobile and a ton of storage I'll never use. It's just a fear though, and until that day, I'll continue to be a photography plan subber.
If you use LR Classic and LR Mobile you don’t need any additional storage. The smart previews that are used are not included in the storage restrictions. You can even use LR CC on a second laptop/desktop to easily edit the images you have “sync’d” with LR Classic.

It’s only if you need to store RAW (or for that matter JPEG) originals in “the cloud” will you need additional storage.

It's true also, I believe, that LR CC can only be used with one catalog. Not a disadvantage for some, but a potential non-starter, for others.

I think they probably do realise :)

According to Jeff Schewe, when CC was selling at its peak (not entirely sure what date he was referring to) less than 10% of Adobe customers were photographers, and its likely to be less than this now. If you think about what percentage of this 10% is likely to be hobby/club photographers, it would seem they are likely to be very far from being "most of their users"

That is of course no excuse for a difficult to follow web site

The numbers must be quite different for Lightroom, though. Photoshop is used by all sorts of people who need to deal with digital images, many of them not photographs, or photographs provided by third parties. LR is much more of a tool for photographers.

What you get in Classic but not in CC

Probably a few others as well.

Change sort order / filter photos in Import dialog
Add metadata during import
Apply presets during import
Rename photos during import
Tethered Shooting & Watched Folders
Secondary Screen
Secondary Screen
Organize using Folders
Color Labels
Add other IPTC metadata
Tone Curves
Split Toning
Sync settings
Match Total Exposures
History
Reference View
Snapshots
Soft Proofing
Send to Photoshop Elements
Send to Other External Editors
Third-Party Plug-ins Yes No
Export as new file name
Export with watermark
Export with specific metadata

There's one rather major omission on that list - 'Print'. Can you believe it, there is no 'effing print option in the new lightroom!

I am completely agree with you!!!

There's one rather major omission on that list - 'Print'. Can you believe it, there is no 'effing print option in the new lightroom!

I never print from LR so no loss for me. Having said that there's a lot I don't use but I think it's an improvement over LR6.

I will just throw my twopennoth in .
I subscribe to the existing photography package which includes 20gb of storage and now includes the new LR CC, I have just spoken to adobe to clarify what happens with the new CC.
I have been told I get the existing package and CC at no extra cost until I get to the 20gb storage and then I can't upload any more unless I contact adobe and pay for the extra storage.
I have just had a quick play with CC editing a photo on my desktop and syncing and it works pretty well and is impressive, I cant certainly see the value for anyone wanting to do an edit in front of a customer or tweak a photo and post on social media.

Tim Grey did a TV episode about the CC lightroom V's Classic lightroom. I can see its advantages ( a few) plus disadvantages. I'm sticking with classic

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYVhtou5pVI

Thanks for that; it does help to distinguish between the two versions of LR now available. Why ever didn't Adobe call the new app something completely different, though?

But I can't agree that Adobe listens to feedback from its users ...... from its shareholders, perhaps........

On the website there are 3 'Photography' options:

(1) PS, LR CC, LR Classic CC, 20GB = £9.98
(2) PS, LR CC, LR Classic CC, 1TB = £19.97
(3) LR CC, 1TB = £9.98

(1) is like the existing Photography plan, only with the new versions of LR. If you don't want more storage, you should pay the same as before.

I used to pay about a quid less for option #1 due to some old HotUK deals promo. So now I pay the full 9.98 for option #3 as I'm currently working across PC and Mac and find it easier to use the cloud. I'm wondering if I did the right thing though...and I'm still in my 14 day cooling off period.

It's annoying because to edit externally only Photoshop is an option listed now, and of course option #3 does not include photoshop, and I use Affinity Photo anyway. So there are limitations.

I used to pay about a quid less for option #1 due to some old HotUK deals promo. So now I pay the full 9.98 for option #3 as I'm currently working across PC and Mac and find it easier to use the cloud. I'm wondering if I did the right thing though...and I'm still in my 14 day cooling off period.

It's annoying because to edit externally only Photoshop is an option listed now, and of course option #3 does not include photoshop, and I use Affinity Photo anyway. So there are limitations.
Option #3 isn't cheap as cloud storage goes - e.g. you can get 1TB OneDrive with an Office 365 subscription for £5/month (so adding this to #1 would beat #2). I suppose #1 vs #3 comes down to convenience and not having to pay any extra to work from the cloud vs PS and the 'missing functions' that are only in LR Classic.

I gave it a go but I will wait till they add some more features. To me, it seem like a bit of a beta version. I also noticed that on the photography plan, the wording was “ CC is available for you on the current photography plan to TRY”. That makes me think, once people are invested in it with their current plan, they will up the price. Glad the brought back the easy flagging on the mobile version, ive no idea why they took it out, it was on of the main reasons I used it for, so easy to sit in front of the tv and do some culling during the ad breaks.

I've actually just ended up binning it. Interesting glitch on cancellation though: I was still about 4 months away from completing my full year of the old photography plan (despite paying monthly). I 'upgraded' a few days back and as I'e finally had enough I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period. It's actually cancelled the entire plan with no need for me to pay the remaining time off. Happy days.

Although not so happy I'm needing to hunt for an alternative DAM solution now!

Thought I would share the cancellation glitch with you all though in case it helps

Edit: So Adobe wins after all. I find that if I install my last version of LR standalone, the develop settings are disabled until I renew my membership! Awesome job Adobe, you've disabled a piece of software I legitimately bought a while back because I didn't fancy renting newer versions of the software. I'm amazed and disgusted at Adobe's arrogance now. Oh well - I'll be sure never to buy any future Adobe products now no matter how good or bad.

Last edited:
Edit: So Adobe wins after all. I find that if I install my last version of LR standalone, the develop settings are disabled until I renew my membership! Awesome job Adobe, you've disabled a piece of software I legitimately bought a while back because I didn't fancy renting newer versions of the software. I'm amazed and disgusted at Adobe's arrogance now. Oh well - I'll be sure never to buy any future Adobe products now no matter how good or bad.

If you have a standalone perpetual licence I'm sure this can be fixed. You might need to run this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

:dummy:Probably user error. Really people Adobe aren’t out to get you :rolleyes:

Probably poorly written licensing software. There are numerous reports of CC installations breaking standalone products. This is why they have the cleaner tool, which wouldn't be necessary if CC always cleaned up after itself properly.

I've actually just ended up binning it. Interesting glitch on cancellation though: I was still about 4 months away from completing my full year of the old photography plan (despite paying monthly). I 'upgraded' a few days back and as I'e finally had enough I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period. It's actually cancelled the entire plan with no need for me to pay the remaining time off. Happy days.

Although not so happy I'm needing to hunt for an alternative DAM solution now!

Thought I would share the cancellation glitch with you all though in case it helps

Try the Trial version of ACDSee imo it is a damn sight faster than my LR6 Standalone, and got a good Dam.

Really people Adobe aren’t out to get you

But they do make some things a bit more difficult than they should be.

The monthly subscription with mandatory auto-renewal and a very tight window for penalty free cancellation is .... well not quite what a company as respectable as Adobe should be doing. Moreover when you do cancel just after autorenewal in the UK from what I've seen they try and hit you with an automatic penalty of 6 months - the UK has a 14 day cooling off period for these sorts of contracts - including auto-renewals. Adobe seem to want to make you think you'll have to pay the penalty - then offer you a credit as an incentive to stay with them - and after that? Well presumably you have to push them to get a penalty cancellation. Naughty IMO.

So I think they are out to *keep you* rather than 'get you'.

Just updated my subscription to CC Classic but the older version it's supposed to have replaced is still there on my desktop. Looking at the information that came with the update, I thought it should have deleted the older versions.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to like CC - I tried to like LR Mobile, and my dream was to have a "To Do" folder in the cloud, so I can do some culling, rating, basic edits in the cloud via phone/laptop/web which are instantly shown in LR Classic (as it is now).

And new Lightroom CC almost gets there! But doesn't! Argh! I can add my "To Do" folder into CC, and this is then hooshed into the Cloud, but if I also have a cull and edit in Classic, any deletions aren't carried over.

Also no plugins for CC (yet) is a blocker from making the whole switch

Just updated my subscription to CC Classic but the older version it's supposed to have replaced is still there on my desktop. Looking at the information that came with the update, I thought it should have deleted the older versions.

Just had a look at mine, the "update" deleted the icons, which I had on the taskbar but the old programs are still on the HDD.

I really want to like CC - I tried to like LR Mobile, and my dream was to have a "To Do" folder in the cloud, so I can do some culling, rating, basic edits in the cloud via phone/laptop/web which are instantly shown in LR Classic (as it is now).

And new Lightroom CC almost gets there! But doesn't! Argh! I can add my "To Do" folder into CC, and this is then hooshed into the Cloud, but if I also have a cull and edit in Classic, any deletions aren't carried over.

Also no plugins for CC (yet) is a blocker from making the whole switch

Why don't you just use CC Classic for this. Create a collection called To-Do and sync it to the cloud. You'll pick up all those images on CC Mobile and any culling on the desktop will be replicated on the mobile. That feature has been there for a while.

The first version of the installer did delete the old version (unless you specifically told it not to) ... Adobe changed the behaviour (iirc) after people lost their Lightroom 6 (non CC) version trialling the new Classic CC which updated over the top of the old one.

Back