Beginner Quick portrait of my wife

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I usually enjoy landscapes but having bought a softbox and a single flash last year and used them only once, I thought I'd have another go and see if I could improve at all. I've tried to study a little on lighting etc but think I need to spend more time on posing. I'm also new to post processing people so hope I've not over done this? I know the hair is messy, but it was a quick shot in a tv break :) Any pointers to improve would be great.

I had my flash behind to try to get a rim light that only partly worked and had a silver reflector in front of her.

Thanks
Steve

1) Colour

Karen by Steve Babb, on Flickr

2) Black and White

3) Colour

4) Black and White

Cool, you have a model at home!
I see two easy to fix problems in these:
• Some flair caused by the kicker —make sure that you position the kicker
so it will not throw light in your lens. If necessary, flag it.
• The ratios should be inverted —the kicker's light should be less powerful
than the main… use the flash in front and the reflector in the back

Last edited:
Like Kodiak I prefer the second image, and your model would probably look better if her shoulders were not rotated quite as much.

Lighting in 3 & 4 is definitely better for a female, being softer and without the deep shadows.

I also agree that the model should have been lit with the flash, and the reflecto used to provide the rim lighting.

All imho, of course. Lovely model so I hope we see some more of your work with her.

Nice first attempt :) A few suggestions, hope they help:

Start with one light, see what's going on and tweak - e.g. adding reflectors - later.

Is your wife self conscious of her teeth? She has a nice smile trying to escape but you need to give her the confidence to let it out. A natural smile with wonky teeth is nearly always more attractive a mouth clamped shut. (Hint: shouting SMILE is unlikely to help). Alternatively, you could try to create a more reflective, quieter look without any smile at all and with the jaw & cheek muscles more relaxed.

I don't know your wife but most non-models are more likely to relax in front of the camera if more conventionally clothed.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. She's not teeth conscious but hates posing! Probably doesn't help with me messing around trying to get things right. She was actually wearing a dressing gown, so I don't think that was as big an issue as me taking too long! I'll have another go and post back. Many thanks.

#3 pose for me, such a natural pose for a beautiful woman and the colour suits her. Not sure about the first pose, I understand it for the lighting practise but it doesn't work for the subject.

I'm no expert but I think you've done a really nice job with the lighting on this. Your wife doesn't look totally comfortable and relaxed but it is still a very nice shot that I'm sure she will like.

Very nice. Lucky guy having a willing model at home. Only advice from me.... take longer TV breaks; they look much more fun! :)

A very pretty model and the tousled hair adds just the right amount of informality to the shots IMO.

Back