Quickly Pass Driving

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
I've gotten to that time in my life were it's about time I did something in regards to my driving or lack of. I've been content with public transport and despite peoples various views on it, I've found it to be a reliable mode of transport.

However, I've been jobless for a while and recently this vacancy has come up which (dare I say) has my name of it but a license is a requirement. Their is a high chance I won't get the vacancy in question but the having the acquired the license will be a bonus plus I'm hoping my experience backs me up.

I've recently made my provisional and I'm currently revising for my theory but in terms of the practical element I'd like to do that quickly. I've been made aware of driving courses and some offer 1 week full training but I have no experience as such I feel as though this would be too intensive but I was thinking along the lines of 2 - 3 week courses as the overall duration is still quick yet it isn't as intensive. I have a degree so I like to think I can cope with the mental load.

Could people share their views and any recommendations of businesses who offer quality service relative to a cheap price.

Thank You

First of all check the lead time on a practical test in your area.
Here, it's around eight weeks.

Have you checked with the employer ?
Driving jobs often require you to have held a full licence for at least a year

My understanding of driving courses is that their is a test after the practical period which is part of the overall package.

I've checked with the employer beforehand and just a clean license is required. I.E. I can apply the next day.

My understanding of driving courses is that their is a test after the practical period which is part of the overall package.

I've checked with the employer beforehand and just a clean license is required. I.E. I can apply the next day.

The driving schools can't book tests that way anymore.

Tests are booked for a specific person, and using the unique reference from your theory pass certificate.

Before theory tests, schools would "hold" test slots, cancelling them up to 48 hours in advance if they weren't going to be used....they can't do that now.

Having a degree is irrelevant to your driving ability.

My OH (a driving instructor) recommends, to those seeking "intensives", taking a two hour lesson a day, booking a test as soon as the theory is passed, and then, depending on progress/aptitude, keeping an eye out online for cancellations in order to bring the practical test forward.

I think you defo need to start that route, i am not a great fan of the car but it is a requirement now for so many jobs that you will restrict yourself without a licence.

Driving for a living is not just about having a driving licence.
Depending on the job, you have to know the legalities as well, once
you drive the vehicle you are responsible for making sure it is roadworthy etc.
If your employer runs a fleet then it is more involved, but if the requirement
is just a clean licence then l doubt it.
I drive for a living, l love driving, but it's not the easy job some think

Last edited:
I'll briefly explain my circumstances here as to make it easier for others. The role in question is to be a bus driver. This might seem counter intuitive considering I possess a degree but I've been jobless for a number of months now but after a number of interviews with the company (National Express (I have a interest in buses in general)), the advice I consistently get is to become a driver first and your likelihood of progressing upwards compared to others is high. Prior to my degree I wanted to become a bus driver anyway before taking a more operational interest. I've spoken to recruitment officers who've stated I could apply the next day.

I know a number of drivers who've provided keen insights and I feel comfortable with the role in question. In reference to the drivers, they've taken the traditional route which is XX number of lessons over a period of time. I, however am looking towards the more somewhat intensive route.

Go for Stagecoach instead - no need to be able to drive properly there!

More seriously, isn't there a requirement to have held a full driving license for a minimum period before getting a PSV license?

I am a Driving Instructor and have been for almost 20 years and have always undertaken Intensive Driving Courses, but I am very, very anxious as to motives and even more as to the driving experience as to those who want to undertake such a course and am very selective as to those who I accept as pupils to do courses.
Intensive courses are not intended for a raw learner. The clue is in the word Intensive, and are not for the faint hearted nor those who are lack experience in dealing with traffic and their abilities to be in full control of the car.
They are normally arranged in blocks of 4 or 5 hours per day every over a pre-determined number of days ( usually determined by taking an initial assessment drive) with the driving test being taken on the last day of the course. By far the most successful candidates in Intensive Courses are those who have some driving experience and require a quick "boost" to their driving abilities. The advise from Viv 1969 and National Express is well worth heeding. There is a huge difference in academic and practical skills and that become very obvious when driving in busy traffic. I agree with Nod, I'm pretty sure that any candidates for driving bus or coaches training will need to have held a full B car driving license.
What ever course of action you take will be the right one for you I truly wish you luck.

Go for Stagecoach instead - no need to be able to drive properly there!

More seriously, isn't there a requirement to have held a full driving license for a minimum period before getting a PSV license?

Sadly Stagecoach don't any services (That I'm aware of) where I'm from !

I was also surprised but many people (I visited an employment fare not to long ago and someone there confirmed this) stated as long as it doesn't have more than 6 points (I think), your free to apply.

, I'm pretty sure that any candidates for driving bus or coaches training will need to have held a full B car driving license.

Don't know if it's changed but, 25 years ago, I worked for London Buses (garage based) and thought about switching to driving. I didn't have a driving license but was offered the opportunity to train as a driver and, if I passed, it would count as a full driving license, albeit Automatics only).

I appreciate the replies.

To all the drivers I've spoken, they just simply state you need a drivers license simply put. One driver applied for a garage prior to him driving and he was told he could shunt (Move) buses around the garage without a PCV license.

I was made aware of these driving courses by a friend but even then I knew the 1 week course was far to intense for me as I have no practical experience. My mind started drifting to other courses which run slightly longer as the overall practical period is still less than the traditional method of having a 1 hour lesson a week.

I was also surprised but many people (I visited an employment fare not to long ago and someone there confirmed this) stated as long as it doesn't have more than 6 points (I think), your free to apply.

Requirements are:-

• You must be over 21 years of age.
  • You must have a full Category B driving licence and held it for more than 2 years.
  • You must meet the DVLA Group 2 medical standards (D4 Form)
From this site http://psvlicence.co.uk/

I appreciate the replies.

To all the drivers I've spoken, they just simply state you need a drivers license simply put. One driver applied for a garage prior to him driving and he was told he could shunt (Move) buses around the garage without a PCV license..

I've driven an artic lorry round a disused airfield, great fun, but don't have HGV licence, you can drive it on private property
without insurance or licence, with the owners permission, but not on a public road

Driving for a living is not just about having a driving licence.
Depending on the job, you have to know tge legalities as well, once
you drive the vehicle you are responsible formaking sure it is roadworthy
etc.
If your employer runs a fleet thenit is more involved, but if the requirement
is just a clean licence then l doubt it.
I drive for a living, l love driving, but it's not the easy job some think
It's the drivers responsibility regardless of whether you own it, borrow it, rent it or it's part of a fleet and is driven for a living.

It's the drivers responsibility regardless of whether you own it, borrow it, rent it or it's part of a fleet and is driven for a living.

What ever, as you seem to know best as usual, but there is just a slight possibility that someone who has never driven and is about
to embark on a driving career might not know, but hey I won't bother in future I'll let you be helpful instead (y)

What ever, as you seem to know best as usual, but there is just a slight possibility that someone who has never driven and is about
to embark on a driving career might not know, but hey I won't bother in future I'll let you be helpful instead (y)
So why not give them the full facts instead of just part of them.

Relevant facts warrant dummy spits now? :eek:

Relevant facts warrant dummy spits now? :eek:

Nope, this is about a driving career and it seems the op knows very little.
There are some unscrupulous employers out there who would take advantage and
send him out in an unroadworthy vehicle.

His own vehicle is entirely up to him.

Sorry to dig this old thread back up again but personal circumstances have made me push back my driving and as such I had to cancel my theory and put starting my practical to a later date. Let's just say my personal circumstances have changed for the better so time to get back on it again !

Question: I live in East Birmingham (Roughly halfway between the City Centre & Airport) and a driving instructor was recommended to me but he operates in South Birmingham. Can I still utilize his services ? I'm happy to travel over there ?

Sorry to dig this old thread back up again but personal circumstances have made me push back my driving and as such I had to cancel my theory and put starting my practical to a later date. Let's just say my personal circumstances have changed for the better so time to get back on it again !

Question: I live in East Birmingham (Roughly halfway between the City Centre & Airport) and a driving instructor was recommended to me but he operates in South Birmingham. Can I still utilize his services ? I'm happy to travel over there ?
You can use any driving instructor you choose, provided of course that they'll take you on.

You can use any instructor anywhere in the country, but one word of advice - make sure they are able to give you at least your later lessons in the same area where you will be taking your test, as they'll have the insider knowledge of the test route, including common things which catch people out - there are always one or two trickier places on each test route which are deliberately chosen to ensure you're awake and paying full attention.

I recall the old Bournemouth test route years ago, where the instructor would tell you to "Take the next road on the right" but if you did that, you'd go into a one way section and fail, as it was actually a slightly poorly-marked junction and although it looked like you could go in that way, the actual entrance to that road was hidden behind a huge wooded traffic island. Caught many, many people out, thankfully not including me as my instructor warned me about it in advance!

Well I used to live in East Bham and one of my driving instructors was from Solihull. The difference was that he knew the test routes. If, for example, your test centre is South Yardley (a common one and where I had mine), a good instructor will know what the common routes are and what to watch out for. FWIW I failed my driving test first time because I got into a horribly tricky situation*, I panicked and the examiner had to use the brakes. How you perform on the day is what matters. Apart from that incident, I had two minors IIRC on my mark sheet.

*I had to turn right from a small side road onto a 30mph dual carriageway. Whilst I was in the right position and doing everything correctly, the other drivers were doing U-turns illegally ie passing each other nearside to nearside instead of offside to offside. Obviously I carried on but realised as I approached the central reservation what was happening and tried to steer towards the "wrong side" but I got worked up, panicked and couldn't work out what to do next when I had a car facing me.

I recall the old Bournemouth test route years ago, where the instructor would tell you to "Take the next road on the right" but if you did that, you'd go into a one way section and fail, as it was actually a slightly poorly-marked junction and although it looked like you could go in that way, the actual entrance to that road was hidden behind a huge wooded traffic island. Caught many, many people out, thankfully not including me as my instructor warned me about it in advance!

I took my test in Weymouth, many years ago and the tester did that to me! I wasn't familiar with the town, let alone the test route and I reckon that's one reason I spotted the No Entry sign at the "Next right". The No Entry was clearly marked though.

The Southampton route had the same, on Shirley High Street. Was a bus only road.

The Southampton route had the same, on Shirley High Street. Was a bus only road.

Very familiar with that one, as I go through there daily and lose count of the amount of learners I see go down that part into the bus lane. Can't help but feel bad for them. :D

same as the greek islands ,make a appointment to see the chief of police or the mayor ,sometimes the same person . take along a few bottles of wine or olive oil ,a small bribe for the paperwork and walk out with a licence . or then again do as lots do in wales apply for a provisional buy a car drive round for a few weeks with a mate ,then simply throw away the L plates and drive solo .if the car is insured ,taxed and mot.the chances of getting a pull are slim to non existent

ive just checked to see if this thread started on april the first ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nope ,,,,oh dear

Allow me to give an update. After negotiating with the instructor, I've managed to procure lessons albeit some time from now as he's fully booked.
Does learning in a different area impact driving in any way ?

Allow me to give an update. After negotiating with the instructor, I've managed to procure lessons albeit some time from now as he's fully booked.
Does learning in a different area impact driving in any way ?

Nope, you have to be able to drive anywhere in the country so where you learn has no real impact

Nope, you have to be able to drive anywhere in the country so where you learn has no real impact
unless its in a war zone and theres mnes lol

Back