Quite a few from South Africa

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
We went on a Safari on a private reserve, so the animals were out and about, but not totally free.

IMG_0790 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_4720 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Very rare double-headed Rhino...

IMG_4751 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_4755-2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

This one always made me think of two Toon fans discussing the performance after the game.

IMG_4766 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_4792 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

My daughter out of the truck...and convinced she was going to be eaten.

IMG_4825 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Right on the edge of my zoom...

IMG_4829 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Just as my daughter sat down for a pic, the Cheetah reminded us that they're not completely domesticated...

IMG_5419 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5428 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Feeding the Cheetahs

IMG_5485 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5487 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5502 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5513 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5520 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Servals - loved these. Really friendly, would rub up your leg like a house cat and purred, but quite big.

IMG_5539 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5542 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5564 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5568 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5603 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Lion cubs - we were there just as they'd got this pair. They're now fully grown and a lot, lot bigger...

IMG_5640 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5651 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

We did a full day at the rehab centre which included feeding some of the injured animals.

IMG_5668 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_5682 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Stunning shots Kell, have to say I love the Lions, captured so much detail well done!

Thank you.

I think the day with the Cheetahs was hard to get great shots (for me) as the conditions were challenging to say the least - very rainy, overcast and humid.

In fact I had to stop using my DSLR and switch to a waterproof point and click camera we had as my Canon is only a 600d and not weather sealed.so it completely steamed up.

Thanks.

The lions, rhinos, zebras were all in a place called Aquila in the southern Karoo.

https://www.aquilasafari.com/

The cheetahs, lion cubs, penguins etc were in a place called Tenikwa - which is a rehabilitation/awareness centre not far away from Plettenberg bay.

http://tenikwa.com/

We spent the day there doing their ‘crazy cat day’ which involved taking the cheetahs for a walk (or them taking us for a walk), then helping out with feeding and grooming the cheetahs and then helping out behind the scenes with other animals.

It was an utterly amazing day.

We went on a Safari on a private reserve, so the animals were out and about, but not totally free.

Are the animals ever really free? Even Kruger National Park is fenced off, the only difference between KNP and the private lodges is the area available to the animals. It's not like they can leave KNP and wander off to visit their neighbours.

Yeah, it's about 10,000 hectares, so it's big and all the animals are free to roam wherever they like - except the lions, which they do keep in a separate enclosure.

We also did a safari on horseback and they only told us after they got back that they think they have two leopards on their land. I didn't take my SLR for that bit though.

10994247_10152558948621021_7739449162072513310_o.jpg

Love the lions, especially the image with the two looking to the right ;)

Back