Race Retro 2015

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, I've not frequented the forum in a while, but thought I should share a few shots from Race Retro that I attended on Saturday.
The first time I've been to this event, which has an extraordinary line up of cars, and while the live stage is limited compared with 'proper' rallying. It does give the spectator chance to view these cars being driven spiritedly, which is quite something to behold.
I've got a stack of action shots, but I am yet to process them, i'll add some up later if anyone is interested.

1) 6R4
rally-10.jpg

2) An absolutely mental sounding Chevrolet Firenza, I don't think I saw it travel in a straight line all day.
rally-11.jpg

3) Those arches! Renault 5 Turbo
rally-12.jpg

4) Ferarri 308 GTB Michelotto
rally-29.jpg

5) A dirty, dirty boy
rally-17.jpg

6) As it is a british event, I feel compelled to add a shot of a 'scort
rally-32.jpg

7) I still stare at the T16 in amazement!
rally-18.jpg

8) And to finish, a rather delightful Skoda. I remember these being the laughing stock of my school. I quite like it now!!
rally-25.jpg

Thanks for looking. I appreciate that the processing may not be to everyone's tastes, and there ain't any action at all in these, but I thought they fitted here, better than they would in transport.
Any C&C is always welcomed. I appreciate that it is not the most photogenic of locations to shoot these cars, but it's just a great opportunity to see machinery that you don't often see on the UK rally scene

Matty

Had a gleg at these earlier on Flickr. Great shots, something different for sure. Like you, the Skoda's and Lada's used to get laughed at but now they're pretty damn cool! :LOL:

Nice PP too ;)

That renault 5!!!!! They are my favourite retro cars of call time. I've had a few of them inc a Raider and they are just brilliant.

Obviously I've never had a Turbo 2 and never will due to the ridiculous cost but they are special little cars!

Great pics by the way the processing suits them a treat.

Love the processing on these (y) and the indoor environment certainly adds,I attended and can vouch for the Firenza being just plain mental :banana::LOL:
First two are my picks from a good bunch,just love the little glimpse of a reflection in the Firenza shot.
Clive.

Thanks for your opinions guys. A complete polarisation then. I understand this is what they mean by 'marmite'!
Glad that the shots themselves are ok. To redress the balance, here are a few action shots without the vaseline on the lens.

1) Scandi Flick
rally-40.jpg

2) A messy backside
rally-89.jpg

3) Never in a straight line
rally-88.jpg

4) Heat Haze
rally-46.jpg

It was quite a mission to avoid the proliferation of stage litter, but with such an array of machinery, I came away quite happy with some of the shots.
More shots from the day on my blog at www.aperturedramatics.blogspot.com

Cheers

I think the processing works best on #2, be interested to know how you achieved that effect actually.

For the others (with the exception of #6) it's not quite suiting the shot for me. Good shots all the same, especially like the #4 of the second set although I didn't notice the Haze until I read the title

Used to have a Firenza like that. Well, not with a 302ci lump in it, just a breathed on 2.2! Even with that it was a bit lively on its narrow tyres.

Wonder why the Skoda has the bonnet open? ;)

I think the processing works best on #2, be interested to know how you achieved that effect actually.

For the others (with the exception of #6) it's not quite suiting the shot for me. Good shots all the same, especially like the #4 of the second set although I didn't notice the Haze until I read the title

Thanks Russ, the processing is a lightroom preset called Nicolesy Matte or something like that! I've adjusted the levels to my preference following the preset, so it's not quite as the preset.
The haze is more subtle than I would have liked, but shows up well when not compressed. Thanks for your feedback

Used to have a Firenza like that. Well, not with a 302ci lump in it, just a breathed on 2.2! Even with that it was a bit lively on its narrow tyres.

Wonder why the Skoda has the bonnet open? ;)

Yeah! I wonder!! haha! Lovely looking car, must have been a hoot to drive!

Lovely set and remember the T16 fondly. Nearly had my 205 1.9 Gti converted to an Mi16 but went the chipped and remapped route instead, proper pocket rockets :).

Lovely set and remember the T16 fondly. Nearly had my 205 1.9 Gti converted to an Mi16 but went the chipped and remapped route instead, proper pocket rockets :).

They were indeed, I had a white 205 1.1, which totally wasn't, but as my first car, I could still close my eyes and pretend I was Timo Salonen!! I could quite fancy a 1.6 GTI now - thanks for looking

A good set, I like the processing on the first few. Just looked at the blog as well, can recommend that others take a look.

A good set, I like the processing on the first few. Just looked at the blog as well, can recommend that others take a look.

Cheers Paul, thank you very much. It is a very limited venue for shooting, even with Media access, but a quality array of cars which just need to be shot!

Great pics mate of some awesome machinery. I actually like the processing as i thinks it works well on the older cars, also it's a bit different.

Daz

Thanks Daz, I quite like the retro processing myself, admittedly, it isn''t to everyones tastes, but glad you think it works on these. Thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment

Matty

Really nice photos, especially the static ones!! The PP really give them a different, retro feel to them!!
Favourite are 1, 6 and 4 from action shots

Really nice photos, especially the static ones!! The PP really give them a different, retro feel to them!!
Favourite are 1, 6 and 4 from action shots

Cheers Yiannis, I quite like the 308 shot, but the fence and arrow are distracting. It was a nightmare place to shoot as a spectator, and not much better for the media guys I dont think!
Thanks for stopping by

Back