Radial engines...the twilight years

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been scanning some of my old Ektachromes from the 70's and found this quartet of radial engined beauties. The slides have fared pretty well considering that they were stored in a barn for over 20 years.
I can hear the sound of those pistons just looking at the photos.

RCAF CP107 Argus (marimtime patrol aircraft akin to the British Avro Shackleton). The Canadair CP107 Argus was a licenced built derivative of the Bristol Britannia and re-engined to give longer flight duration.
p4078034549.jpg

Vickers Varsity. Typically used as a radio trainer at flight training schools until replaced by HP Jetstreams and colloquially known as "The Pig". This example had been seconded into the RAE at Farnborough.
p4078034528.jpg

KC-97 Stratotanker. These magnificent birds were still visiting USAF bases well into the 70's
p4078034487.jpg

A Dakota III. This aircraft left the RAE and is currently with the BBMF as a support aircraft to provide tailwheel familiarisation for potential Lancaster jockeys.
p4078034474.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderfull. Thanks for sharing. They put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Happy days.......

Great shots (y)

Looks like Mildenhall tower behind the KC-97?

GC

Wonderfull. Thanks for sharing. They put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Happy days.......
Happy days indeed. You should invest in a box of Kleenex, I've got about 3000 slides to get through and I'm sure a few more will pop up in here.
Great shots (y)
Looks like Mildenhall tower behind the KC-97?
Thanks.....yes, very likely to be Mildenhall although Greenham Common was a similar tower.

Excellent photos. I have Housands of aviation slides from the 70s too. I served at RAF St Mawgan and RCAF Argus aircraft were regular visitors.

Excellent photos. I have Housands of aviation slides from the 70s too. I served at RAF St Mawgan and RCAF Argus aircraft were regular visitors.
Thanks Glenn, I believe that the Argus was on finals at St Mawgan (1975 or 76). You need to get your slides out and start scanning before they're lost forever.

Thanks Glenn, I believe that the Argus was on finals at St Mawgan (1975 or 76). You need to get your slides out and start scanning before they're lost forever.
Some cracking shots there Bob, I live at St Eval and remember the Argus and Shackletons, the last Shackleton was on the end of the runway at St Mawgan for many years rusting away and only moved a few years ago.

Love them.
Thanks Jason....they're quite evocative aren't they?
Some cracking shots there Bob, I live at St Eval and remember the Argus and Shackletons, the last Shackleton was on the end of the runway at St Mawgan for many years rusting away and only moved a few years ago.
St Eval had ceased flying by the time I visited. I was at the other end of the Shackleton's life....they were built at Woodford which was just a short cycle ride from my home. Alas the final one (of 185) rolled of the production line the year that I was born so I had to make do with a diet of Vulcans, Nimrods and HS748s throughout my childhood. The Shack's were still regular visitors during the 60's (for mod's and alike).

Happy days indeed. You should invest in a box of Kleenex, I've got about 3000 slides to get through and I'm sure a few more will pop up in here.

Thanks.....yes, very likely to be Mildenhall although Greenham Common was a similar tower.

Is this the same Mildenhall as the wartime airfield? My father served in the RAF and I remember him telling me about it, and the Lancasters based there.

Is this the same Mildenhall as the wartime airfield? My father served in the RAF and I remember him telling me about it, and the Lancasters based there.
It is, Martyn.....the base was made available to the USAF in 1950 and they've been there ever since.

A Dakota III. This aircraft left the RAE and is currently with the BBMF as a support aircraft to provide tailwheel familiarisation for potential Lancaster jockeys.
Is that the same aircraft that takes part in some of the displays such as here at Weston Super Mare?

Battle of Britain Flight at Weston Super Mare Air Show G9 P1010725.JPG

It is, Martyn.....the base was made available to the USAF in 1950 and they've been there ever since.

Thanks Bob. My father died many years ago and I can't remember everything he said about Mildenhall, but the name rang a bell when I saw it. I must try to go there one day, even if it's just to see where it is.

Back