Radish Adventures, episodes I-IV

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Inspired by @sunnyside_up .. I was trying to get familiar with a new lens (Tamron 70-200 f2.8) on a new body (D750) and these radishes got in the way.

I bruised my elbows doing this one.. silver trigrip below

but got a cushion for this one. Silver trigrip again:

Mildly distraught that I didn't notice I'd needed more DoF on this one until after I'd eaten the radishes - but that was one of the points of the exercise. Roguewave Flashbender snooted speedlite with a clothes peg to keep the slot of light really narrow. I can't think of a way to soften the specular highlights and keep the narrow beam of light (other than compositing).

Roguewave Flashbender snooted speedlite & grid, plus match. The falloff isn't quite right but it's reasonably convincing.

I particularly like the last one and think the penultimate one has real potential with perhaps a slightly different lighting setup?

I know what you mean.. I played around with a few different angles. My gut instinct tells me to add some red & blue dots of light as if from emergency services vehicles. But maybe my instinct is rather odd :chicken:?

You do have some good imagination.
Maybe a bit more brightness at the bottom of #3.

Haha I totally love these, my favourite being the last one... great imagination! Thanks for the shout out too! :)

Awesome, dude.

You ate a member of the radish family? Shame on you! :p

Both 3 & 4 for me...super cute ( don't think I've ever said radishes are cute before) lol

Artichokes are weird!

What about peppers, red green and yellow you can have a reggae clan :D

Artichokes are delicious, have a cool name and are interesting from a photographic point of view (although too early for the very pretty flowers). Do it.

They also have cyanide in them - classic murder plot.

Really like that last one Simon, definitely the pick of the bunch for me. How are you finding the Tamron, was considering selling my Nikon 85mm and getting the 70-200 instead.

Really like that last one Simon, definitely the pick of the bunch for me. How are you finding the Tamron, was considering selling my Nikon 85mm and getting the 70-200 instead.

Thanks... I've got the 85 1.8G too. I haven't used either a lot yet but if I had to choose one on gut instinct I'd go for the 70-200 - and I'm a big fan of primes. It's properly sharp, well made and focuses quickly. Background blur has no unpleasant artefacts. I've had far fewer focus misses than with the 85 but that might be down to improved technique and the fact that f2.8 just gives that little bit more leeway. The greater reach and flexibility is much more useful for both posed and candid portraiture than I was expecting.

The 70-200 has a reputation for lower image quality at 200 but I don't have any issues with it at all.

It's obviously heavier but not unmanageable and it's a focus breathing design so at close range the max focal length is nothing like 200mm. It's not really long enough for wildlife stuff and only works in manual focus with teleconverters, but manual focus is easy with it on the D750.

I'm going to hang on to the 85 for a while to see how often I actually use it at f1.8 but I suspect it's days are numbered.

I can dig out some other recent shots with the Tamron if that helps.

Thanks... I've got the 85 1.8G too. I haven't used either a lot yet but if I had to choose one on gut instinct I'd go for the 70-200 - and I'm a big fan of primes. It's properly sharp, well made and focuses quickly. Background blur has no unpleasant artefacts. I've had far fewer focus misses than with the 85 but that might be down to improved technique and the fact that f2.8 just gives that little bit more leeway. The greater reach and flexibility is much more useful for both posed and candid portraiture than I was expecting.

The 70-200 has a reputation for lower image quality at 200 but I don't have any issues with it at all.

It's obviously heavier but not unmanageable and it's a focus breathing design so at close range the max focal length is nothing like 200mm. It's not really long enough for wildlife stuff and only works in manual focus with teleconverters, but manual focus is easy with it on the D750.

I'm going to hang on to the 85 for a while to see how often I actually use it at f1.8 but I suspect it's days are numbered.

I can dig out some other recent shots with the Tamron if that helps.

yes pleas Simon would be handy. I'm really thinking of it for everything from landscapes to portraits as well as an opportunity I might have with horse events. It would just get more use overall as I haven't really got into the portrait side of things like I thought I might so the 85 hasn't had much use.

yes pleas Simon would be handy. I'm really thinking of it for everything from landscapes to portraits as well as an opportunity I might have with horse events. It would just get more use overall as I haven't really got into the portrait side of things like I thought I might so the 85 hasn't had much use.

pm incoming..

Back