RAF LAUNCH Built 1954

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
A few photos on board an RAF launch, built for Air sea rescue and firing range duties. Original control panels, steering and twin 300hp Rolls Royce engines.

RAF Launch by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

The saloon as you may have gessed is not original, the superstructure is, but the internal furnishings were added fairely recently, within the last twenty years.

Last edited:
What is the engine, Eagle?

During the late 1970s/early 1980s, I had a few trips on the launches based at RAF Mount Batten. I was based not far away at RAF St Mawgan, and as Mount Batten only had 1 medic, there were opportunities to cover when he was away. This included going out on the boats when they were involved in sea survival training for aircrew. The baby aircrew would be mustered on the deck, then fastened one by one into a parachute harness and thrown overboard, whilst the boat accelerated. This was to simulate landing on water in windy conditions. They had to get out of the harness, inflate their dinghy and await rescue - which came in the form of a SAR helicopter that would winch them up and deposit them, in groups, on land. At the end there was usually the possibility for a few of the boat crew to go in, inflate lifejacket and be winched. It was like going back in time to some extent - being issued sea boots, sea boot socks and a white polo neck sweater - made me feel like John Mills in Above Us The Waves! When operating with the aircew we wore immersion suits, as the water is rather cold.

As I recall, directly behind the cockpit was a long, narrow corridor with sliding doors to the cabins. The area where the galley is in these photos was the chart room/coxswain's cabin, which also had all the medical equipment. Getting a wet, heavy patient into it would have been a nightmare, but thankfully I never had to do it.

The sound of the engines as the craft came up to speed was just incredible.

[QUOTE="Anubis, post: 7738202, member: 55125"

The sound of the engines as the craft came up to speed was just incredible.[/QUOTE]

I can imagine they would be something else sound wise.
This one was the only one built with teak planking I think, when the owner found out he put it into storage for 25years, the other ones he ran were mahogany planking, he sold them on, he had the contract for range safety at Milford /haven.
He also owned Cardiff Boat Building co, and his own staff well, Lynn to be precise did the conversion internally.

Do you mind me asking where is thiss craft moored as i build model RC boats and one of my fav boats is the Air Sea Rescue ones

Ohhh. I've come over all funny and it ain't the tablets!

The modern versions don't sound half bad either. Remember listening as one left on patrol while trying to get some kip in the van. Could hear it even when it had dissapeared over the horizon with the wind blowing on shore.
Malta in the 70's, thanks RAF. Lovely memorys. Thanks for reminding me "Lightshipman".

Back