RAF Sea king and Welsh Air Ambulance

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Aberystwyth photographing some friends taking part in a local rugby 7's tournament which was great fun. Unfortunately one of the players got a suspected neck injury and the air ambulance was called in. I was expecting to see an RAF Rescue sea king helicopter as the coastguard support crew had arrived at the other end of the play fields so I was surprised when this nice red air ambulance turned up.

copters1of6.jpg

copters2of6.jpg

I tried to get a composition that would show the ambulance, casualty and helicopter in the same frame, not sure how well that works though, crits are welcome.

While the welsh air ambulance was still on the ground the coastguard popped a smoke flare at the other end of the field which is a designated landing spot for coastguard RAF Rescue helicopters. I ran over as a sea king approached from the right to drop off someone they'd plucked from a cliff!

I'm quite pleased with these, shot at 1/60 with no stabilisation :woot:

copters6of6.jpg

copters4of6.jpg

copters5of6.jpg

Hoped you enjoyed these, I'll post some Rugby to the sports section later (y)

As Always, Comments and Crits are welcome (y)

Last edited:
Rob,

The COASTGUARD Heli from RAF Valley? Dude, the clue is in initials 'RAF' under the cockpit!:)

And there was me thinking that you knew a thing or two about aviation;)

Nice shots though!

Cheesy

Pffft, I put it in laymans terms ;)

so how comes the coastguard came too?

was it a race?

Hah no - sorry, bad explination. The boys in the sea king were handing over a non-injured person they'd rescued to the police, the fields are a drop off point for the RAF S&R guys - completely unrelated to the accident on the field.

Here's a slightly less typical shot that I found in my library

top-heli1of1.jpg

Last edited:
i really like that last one (the less typical one). reminds me of the shots taken by Rodchenko.

I would be tempted to B&W it, but I know that probably wouldn't work out well.

Thanks for the feedback Aleksander - I'll have a look at the conversion and see how it comes out (y)

Nice set of pictures, always good if you are there when it happens AND have a camera with you!

Thanks Mark!

I'd like to try the bush hawk again, I had to shoot a lot of frames to make sure I got a few really sharp ones, that said I'm really pleased with the results :woot:

Love the sea king.:):clap:

I like the sea king

Both were out over the lake at the back of cad on Monday - someone had collapsed on the hills.

Nigel B got some excellent shots of the Sea King with casaulty in stretcher underneath.

And when i say excellent I mean of them in work - those who have accidents or become ill on the hills certainly must thankful for the crews.

Back