Rare visitor 2016

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
In July 2016 whilst I was just leaving WWT Slimbridge I spotted a Stork on the chimney of the original home of Sir Peter Scott, (if you have ever visited WWT Slimbridge it is the small cottage opposite the entrance ramp). The Stork remained in the area for a few days, having apparently flown in from Europe and spent some time in various areas of the UK - 'right place, right time' again. :)

Stork.jpg

We have a stork that sits on the garage roof sometimes in the early morning
It comes from Knepp castle just down the road where they have a breeding programme

Presumably the ring was read, or perhaps it was ringed at Slimbridge? I see it has a colour ring as well, higher up the other leg, in shadow.
History

Possibly not the most difficult of subjects......
:thinking:
We have a stork that sits on the garage roof sometimes in the early morning
It comes from Knepp castle just down the road where they have a breeding programme
I've seen reports about that colony, doing well I gather. :)

Last edited:
Looks like it's lost the baby :)

I've seen reports about that colony, doing well I gather. :)

Yes they are, often see them fly over and some lovely walks through the grounds so you can see them
roosting

We had one in Herefordshire in 2017 Same bird? Somebody managed to get a view of the ring and it came from Gdansk , Poland.
Picture the scene; it is early morning on 21st June 2011 and Polish bird ringer Krzysztof Załuski is making his way to the village of Kleszewo in the province of Mazowieckie, some 70km due north of Warsaw. Krzysztof’s mission is to ring a brood of White Storks in the village. He climbs up to the nest and finds a brood of four healthy youngsters. He fits each of the young birds with a metal ring on one leg and a plastic colour-ring on the other. The purpose of the colour-rings being to enable the bird to be identified with the aid of a pair of binoculars, rather than having to capture it. One of the colour-rings was Green Z1213, and that particular bird is the subject of this story.

For more, click on the link in the post above. :)

Superb

Cracking shot Roger- I do miss Slimbridge :(

Les

Back