Rayflash tryout

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I continue my mini spend spree by getting a Rayflash Ringflash Adaptor to use with my new Venus Laowa wide angle macro lens.

Tried it out on Sunday. Unfortunately not much about due to weather but got a couple of spiders with it.

On the 100mm first.
MG_0396.jpg

Then on the Venus 15mm
Closeish
MG_0443.jpg

As close as I could get without lens touching leaf.
MG_0444.jpg

This is the thing - used on Canon 580ex flash. No diffusion added.
20160821_181737_1.jpg

That's a good solution for wide-angle macro. Lighting the subject is tough at such short distances, but a ring flash may be the best answer. Doesn't look like it needs much diffusing either with the light source being so close. Good result!

Thanks Tim - yes it is a good solution and reasonably priced too. I already had a speedlight.

Diffusion will be clearer tested on more reflective subjects I guess. Not much that can be added being it is so close and with the wide angle you can't get anything in front of the lens - else it shows up.

Some nice shots of the spider, No 1 and 3 are the best imo with No 3 the best colour wise.
TBH I dont see the hype with the 15mm lens but I guess the sharpness with this lens wins it.

:clap::clap:Chris I know I have limited knowledge but I prefer the result of the 100mm. There again who am I to judge a master.:)

It certainly looks good on the test shots. How was the weather like when it was used?By the way, I like that spider.

Thanks - the weather was overcast, with spots of rain. Not warm.

Some nice shots of the spider, No 1 and 3 are the best imo with No 3 the best colour wise.
TBH I dont see the hype with the 15mm lens but I guess the sharpness with this lens wins it.

Thanks Graham - each to their own. I like it as it is just a bit different. Gets the environment in too. I think will be best with flowers and larger insects.

Very nice subject, I do like the wide result it is something different, can you actually get even closer?

Thanks Plamen - yes you can get a lot closer - up to 0.47cm when it is 1:1. The limiting factor with the spider is I could not get any closer without the lens touching the leaf it was on.

Interesting product and some nice results. I found with my rings was that the front facing flash caused almost 2D images as it killed shadows. Once I switched to an overhead diffused setup, it all came to life more.

Thanks Graham - each to their own. I like it as it is just a bit different. Gets the environment in too. I think will be best with flowers and larger insects.
I agree Chris and I was`nt being negative about your choice of lens and like I said, Im sure the sharpness is in a class of its own.
Saying about getting the environment in, I got a shot of a Apollo butterfly and the environment with my old but trusty Tamron 24mm, it does allow you to get close enough and include the surrounding area.
But I guess its not in the same class as the Laowa :(

Interesting product and some nice results. I found with my rings was that the front facing flash caused almost 2D images as it killed shadows. Once I switched to an overhead diffused setup, it all came to life more.

Hi Andy - yes there will probably be an issue being ringflash on the shadows. With this wide lens I would struggle to put anything in front - as would get in shot. Have other flash for other lenses.

I agree Chris and I was`nt being negative about your choice of lens and like I said, Im sure the sharpness is in a class of its own.
Saying about getting the environment in, I got a shot of a Apollo butterfly and the environment with my old but trusty Tamron 24mm, it does allow you to get close enough and include the surrounding area.
But I guess its not in the same class as the Laowa :(

Sorry Graham if I came across like that, I took no offense about your comments - and was assuming that you just did not like the wide macro stuff - Have to check the sharpness with more use.
My other wide lens 17-40 need tubes to get close, and that above shots not overly great examples anyway of what I think I may use for. Thinking of flowers with views behind. Maybe some fungi from different angles.

Looks good with both lenses to my eye.

I am seeing soft, pastel shade colours (which I like btw). Is that anything to do with the flash, or something else (subject matter, processing or whatever)? Is the contrast low too? Something else I'm comfortable with, and do myself, but would they lack "punch" for ? the majority, both the contrast and the colours? (Not that that is what matters of course, I'm just meandering through my thoughts here.) I suppose this is related to @andythilo's comment.

Back