RC Heli Flying

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

New to this forum and bought my first DSLR about 4 or 5 months ago (Sony alpha 200). My main hobby tunningis Nitro RC Helicopters and it was stunning with all the snow so I thought I would share some shots with you. Hope its the correct forum to post these and hope you enjoy them. Last shot is the state my heli came home today in :bonk:

Any advice on my photos would be appreciated.

Thanks

4200261627_23d8a63be6_o.jpg

4200262847_a69b93fcec_o.jpg

4201023916_e7761a3c98_o.jpg

4200274463_d6c4b4b214_o.jpg

4200276381_d7c8e9a2d0_o.jpg

4201019566_c4e401354f_o.jpg

Number 3 is brilliant

Number 6 is devastating
As a fellow pilot it looks like a case of boomstrike?

Hope you get back in the air soon and keep on snapping

1 question - who was flying? (or do you have a camera rig on the Tx?)

Thanks.

Guy called Tim flying on those. Mine went in on my second flight today. Was doing a manouvere called a 'hurricane' and my battery decided to disconnect itself and went nose into the deck.

Brilliant pics, my heli flying always ends like No6, devastating, & usually expensive.

Dave.

Are people who fly toy planes really called pilots?..........:shrug:

Are people who fly toy planes really called pilots?..........:shrug:

toys no.

Precision engineered RC Planes and RC Helicopters - yes

A lot of skill is required to take off and land in one piece

A lot of skill is required to take off and land in one piece

How does image 6 fit into that assessment ?

:)

I am of course joking!!!!!!!!

Really nice to see something different on this forum. Good shots!

Cheesy

They may be precision engineered, and very expensive to boot, but they are still toys.

(And yes I've got a few myself!) ;)

I beg to differ on the opinion that these machines are called toys matey and if you think any different you really shouldn't be flying them.;)

Would you class a chainsaw as a toy.....:geek: these helicopters can do the same damage in the wrong hands.:puke:

Was a good day Richard and glad you posted these, Looking forward to the next outing.(y)

Last edited:
I beg to differ on the opinion that these machines are called toys matey and if you think any different you really shouldn't be flying them.;)

Would you class a chainsaw as a toy.....:geek: these helicopters can do the same damage in the wrong hands.:puke:

Was a good day Richard and glad you posted these, Looking forward to the next outing.(y)

These machines are just big boy toys; it’s as simple as that. Mind you, I love playing with my chainsaw when I have the opportunity so I’m just a big kid at heart.

Indoor contra's could well be classed as toys I agree because they can hit you and it wouldnt cause any damage.:)

Could you say the same if a T-Rex 700 hit you fitted with 710mm carbon fibre blades rotating at 2000rpm..:geek:

Sorry guy's we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.:|

I just hope you never fly such a "toy" into anyone.;)

Happy Christmas.:canon:

Fanatsic captures I really Like No.1 And No.3 Very sharp and crisp And Great colours Very well Done

Kirk

I saw RC helicopter pictures... saw the name Tim mentioned...thought of you... and here you are :)

Nice to see you here again.

I saw RC helicopter pictures... saw the name Tim mentioned...thought of you... and here you are :)

Nice to see you here again.

Hello Robert.:)

Hope you are very well mate, Lots to catch up on.:wave:

Just because it can damage someone doesn't make it any less a toy. A chainsaw is a tool designed for a job of work. A toy helicopter exists purely for someone to play with.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be operated without a level of circumspect, but you could argue that a piece of Lego could kill someone if they tried to swallow it - but it's still a toy!

Last edited:
Just because it can damage someone doesn't make it any less a toy. A chainsaw is a tool designed for a job of work. A toy helicopter exists purely for someone to play with.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be operated without a level of circumspect, but you could argue that a piece of Lego could kill someone if they tried to swallow it - but it's still a toy!

As I said earlier.

Sorry guy's we will have to agree to disagree on this subject

What you consider a toy I don't. Happy Christmas.:)

Indoor contra's could well be classed as toys I agree because they can hit you and it wouldnt cause any damage.:)

Could you say the same if a T-Rex 700 hit you fitted with 710mm carbon fibre blades rotating at 2000rpm..:geek:

Sorry guy's we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.:|

I just hope you never fly such a "toy" into anyone.;)

Happy Christmas.:canon:

I agree with you, I flew Rappy 50 and 60's and they really are serious pieces of kit, Great fun too. (y)

I agree with you, I flew Rappy 50 and 60's and they really are serious pieces of kit, Great fun too. (y)

You didn’t fly it…………You stood on the ground and steered the toy around an empty bit of air.:bang:

Excellent sharp shots on a poor lit day, shame about the finish.

(I have an Eco 8 for outdoor and a Hummingbird for indoors at work)

None of them are really toys, as Children don't play with them :)

Nice photos, and also a heli addict. But more of, i also know a guy called Tim who also flies a Trex 700, are you from the midlands by any chance? (although i didnt think he could perform the Hurricane?) lol

Andy

Hi Andy.

Not the Midlands but just out side Harrogate in Yorkshire.:)

PS: I can do hurricanes.;)

The one he was flying was a toy then.

Most definitely. It may be a superb precision engineered kit, but it serves no other purpose than to be played with, which makes it a toy.

Last edited:
Toy or not, I thought the question was 'are people who fly them pilots?'

Now, I am guessing that there is not a long and demanding course that culminates in the award of RC Heli wings so my initial inclination is that pilots is the incorrect term - operators perhaps?

The flip side to this is the fact that the RAF owned Reaper drones are flown by qualified RAF pilots. The Reaper is a big 'RC' aircraft and is most certainly not a toy!

The above wasn't designed to incite rage, just some opposing views!

Cheesy

Cheesy.

In order to fly at any BMFA (British Model Flying Association) affiliated club you need a certificate of at least a BMFA "A" standard acheavement unless you have supervision from an existing certificate holder... A bit like driving a car under supervision on "L" plates.:)

You can further your skills taking the BMFA "B" advanced certificate allowing you to fly at shows / competitions and public events.;)

You never know these "toys" might kill someone in the wrong hands.:wave:

Here is a link to a custom made T-Rex 700 I finished just this weekend.(y)

Clicky

nice pics - something I always wanted to have a go at but the cheap and nasty £20 ones dont do it for me, and these ones look serious £......

nice pics - something I always wanted to have a go at but the cheap and nasty £20 ones dont do it for me, and these ones look serious £......

The £20 "toy" ones arnt worth bothering with. Cheap crap that don't last 2 minutes.:puke:

The £1500 "toy" ones like mine are very expensive yes.:D

Toys for the boys

Must be great to think in 3D.

The word "toys" is not an insult as I'm an ex rc heli pilot of some 20 years, before computer sets and on board gyro's became popular. Regularly came from the flying field with a bin bag of bits.

Hope you fixed it ok.

Last edited:
Great point Cheesy about the RAF Reapers being flown by Pilots.... the X45 and X-47's along with predators are operated out of Nellis airbase in Nevada with the aircraft over the skies of 'Far flung' places

so I guess its a matter of opinion with these RC Models are flown by pilots or 'operators'
I think I will sit on the fence on this one - as I have no idea where the line is drawn in this case

these Heli guys are sure pretty talented guys though
my 2p

They may be precision engineered, and very expensive to boot, but they are still toys.

(And yes I've got a few myself!) ;)

There Are 2 grades of RC vehicles. Toy and hobby. Anything with a nitro engine is definately not a toy :bonk:

A few years ago I was with a Puma pilot while he was flying his model heli. He told me that learning to fly the model was more difficult than the real thing by a long way.

Last edited:
A few years ago I was with a Puma pilot while he was flying his model heli. He told me that learning to fly the model was more difficult than the real thing by a log way.

As a qualified pilot myself, I would second that. Flying the real thing, you don't have problems of being disorientated with the aircraft coming towards you, as it doesn't happen when you are sitting in it.

Left is always left, and right is always right. Flying upside down can have it's moments though, especially if there is a lot of crud loose in the cockpit!

As a qualified pilot myself, I would second that. Flying the real thing, you don't have problems of being disorientated with the aircraft coming towards you, as it doesn't happen when you are sitting in it.

Left is always left, and right is always right. Flying upside down can have it's moments though, especially if there is a lot of crud loose in the cockpit!

Flying 3d with these things and learning to fly inverted brings a whole new arena of orientations to learn too!!

Turned into an interesting debate this especially on my first post. Believe me I would not like to get on the wrong end of the stick with one of these machines. Those blades would shred you to bits if it hit you. I certainley would not class these nitro models or high powered electric ones toys. They can do some serious damage if not kill you in the wrong hands.

This is a toy ........

Untitled-1.jpg

........ and significantly more difficult to fly accurately than the Hawk!

Merry Christmas all,

Cheesy

Great pictures, I've been trying to get my dad to fly my little picooZ while I take photo's but he says he wouldn't be able to and that's even after I've fitted a carbon prophaft and bearings which has made it a lot smoother.

Great set # 6 now that's what would happen to me, lol

Back