Re-emergence

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely shots although I would have liked to have seen a whole one in focus and please tell me, what flies are they ?

Ah cool, Are you on FB ? Great groups to ID them there.

I think that the adults don't eat the bugs but they put them paralyzed into a hole with an egg and the young do.

Yeah adults feed on nectar they hunt for food for the larvae to feed on. One of the all black digger wasps that one has a soldier fly I think.

More Dof would be better

Yeah adults feed on nectar they hunt for food for the larvae to feed on. One of the all black digger wasps that one has a soldier fly I think.

More Dof would be better

Mmm more dof, ill have a go, These seem to be particularly difficult to nail down an ID on, a species of solitary wasp has been floated on another forum

_IMG8956ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

some from last year

IMGP4735edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

They were discarding this guy

IMGP4989edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Now those last three shots are very good.

They are solitry wasps even tough numerous wasps may go down the same hole they have seperate chambers underground they nest in individually they could be Crossocerus cetratus or a number of similiar species now I read things properly and they are in wood

Post the them in some wasp or bee/wasp groups on Flickr asking for an ID but it is not easy

http://www.bwars.com/wasp/crabronidae/crabroninae/crossocerus-cetratus

Last edited:
With a bit more PP these could be great also you should reduce the size of shot you post on Flickr and change your settings as I downloaded this straight into Photoshop at original size

Not my shot 2018-12 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I usually upload 2mb files to Flickr.
What should I be uploading ?
And your version is better than mine
Going off to cry now :sorry::sorry:(y)

I see you are using Photoshop CS6 when you save a 1600 pixel on thelongest edge jpeg is my advice.
You need to lift the shadows a lot in RAW and drop the highlights then add the contrast where you need it in PS I find works the best. You could do better than I did as you have the RAW file. I use Lightroom and PS combined myself.

Last edited:
I see you are using Photoshop CS6 when you save a 1600 pixel on thelongest edge jpeg is my advice.
You need to lift the shadows a lot in RAW and drop the highlights then add the contrast where you need it in PS I find works the best. You could do better than I did as you have the RAW file. I use Lightroom and PS combined myself.
Cheers man, it's one from last year. Hopefully my pp us a little better this year
I don't really crop to a size, more to what I feel suits. I just use cs6 I do have Lightroom but never got the hang of it.

A few from today, some pushing and shoving to get out, 1 with red legs ? 1 with a badly damaged wing, 1 with a tooth pick for some sense of scale

_IMG9027sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

_IMG9039ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

_IMG9042ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

_IMG9044ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

_IMG9045ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

not a good shot I know, but i only just copped it and didnt have a chance to compose properly as it was speed walking
_IMG9048ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

_IMG9074ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Look at the histogram when you do this and ideally check it on another screen after uploading to flickr.
What aperture are you using and why? Have you ever tested to see the best settings for your lens or checked to see what other people use (not always so helpful as sometimes people use variable settings with success).

This shot interests me as the wasp on the left is an icneumnoid wasp (which are parasitic) as far as I can tell but not sure it would parasite this type of wasp maybe it was just passing by hunting for prey.

This shot interests me as the wasp on the left is an icneumnoid wasp (which are parasitic) as far as I can tell but not sure it would parasite this type of wasp maybe it was just passing by hunting for prey.

Cool. The diffuser is so big I can only see through the camera, and only just managed to get this before it disappeared. Shame it's not sharp and I clipped it's antenna.

Look at the histogram when you do this and ideally check it on another screen after uploading to flickr.
What aperture are you using and why? Have you ever tested to see the best settings for your lens or checked to see what other people use (not always so helpful as sometimes people use variable settings with success).

From my own use and trial and error, f8 on the lens is where I usually am. Stopping down more means the flash power needs to be on max and the light is unpleasant.
I might get around to getting a new flash system one day but for now, I'm happy enough with the results, within it's limitations. Iso is usually 200-400 .
All shot with a bellows with around 130mm extension, handheld.

Kapow... how sharp and detailed are some of those images.

You really are getting some Superbe results with this set-up, if I was you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Back