Re-sizing a new ring problem

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks, My wife saw a new ring( well 2 rings- a wedding band and engagement ring) last week in Glasgow. The ring she liked was a size too small so the sales guy said he had one the correct size in another store( wedding band was correct size but engagement was too small). We agreed a price and paid in full after being told they can have the other ring the next day. As we could only get there at the weekend we agreed today( sunday) for pick up.

Yesterday my wife got an email from “ the repairs dept” saying her ring would be ready on Sunday afternoon. This has us worried that it isnt a new ring but has been re-sized to fit. Its a platimum ring with 3 diamonds. She doesnt want a re-sized ring as we paid for a new ring. We read a re-sized can be weaker even when done correctly, is this the case and would you still buy the ring even costing several thousands of £.

Need a quick reply on ins and outs of a re-sized ring before i call the shop. Cheers.

Re-sizing will mostly involve the ring being cut and a piece either being taken out or put in. Both of these can leave the ring with a weak spot and 'may' effect it's value if ever it was to be re-sold (rather than melted down for scrap).

Another alternative is to stretch the band and this is less likely to leave a weak spot.

I'm no expert, but an ex-girlfriend was a jeweller.

FWIW - I wouldn't accept a new ring that had been re-sized, I'd want one made to the correct size.

Great, nice to know they weren't trying to rip you off. :)
I have a relationship with the salesman after buying a few expensive watches etc. He explained it all and gave his word it wasnt re-sized. Something to do with the shop recoding a sale and with it being a weekend the head office recording watch movements wasn't open so the correct size watch comes from 1 shop to the repairs centre and then sent on to the correct shop.

Reactions: Sky
Back