Ready for harvest.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Is what the fields around the Cherwell valley are..... :)

Harvest%20Cherwell-4398_zpsuqnuw1eb.jpg

Harvest%20Cherwell-4421_zps28dfeky5.jpg

Harvest%20Cherwell-4416_zpsgelco71u.jpg

Harvest%20Cherwell-4456_zpswlkeronm.jpg

And from the other side of the valley.
Harvest%20Cherwell-4518_zps6zqzxzbo.jpg

C&C welcome as always. The colours of these seem to vary a lot - that's partly the processing, partly the crop (barley in the first, wheat in the rest) and also the angle of light.

I'm trying out a 50mm lens bought last week on the forum for all except the last.

Thanks for the kinds words gents.

But tell me what I might have done differently to make the others better, if they were salvageable at all? Does the flare in 2 put you off, and would it have been stronger with the bottom of the valley cropped out? Would no.3 be better in mono to emphasis the pattern, and would you have rather seen the point of focus close to instead of at the cross (I shot both, preferred this)? Is no.4 a bit dull? Does no.5 lack a focal point?

None of these were snaps, but on this occasion I couldn't bring back what I saw and wanted to produce.

Thanks for the kinds words gents.

But tell me what I might have done differently to make the others better, if they were salvageable at all? Does the flare in 2 put you off, and would it have been stronger with the bottom of the valley cropped out? Would no.3 be better in mono to emphasis the pattern, and would you have rather seen the point of focus close to instead of at the cross (I shot both, preferred this)? Is no.4 a bit dull? Does no.5 lack a focal point?

None of these were snaps, but on this occasion I couldn't bring back what I saw and wanted to produce.

1. A very clever shot. People like it as it is, other option would have been from lower down in the vertical, 1/3rd selective focus wheat, 1/3rd bokeh wheat, 1/3rd blue sky.
2. Is not my style of photography but for that summer timeless dreamy feel I think it is nailed, strong composition.
3. Too much OOF area at the bottom.
4. Light too difficult to work with, weakest of the set for me.
5. Technically not perfect, the telegraph lines for example but my eye appreciates that one the most, your eyes go round it more and it is a lovely scene.

But tell me what I might have done differently to make the others better, if they were salvageable at all?

I will not bore you with the basics of composition,
story telling, etc cause you know all that. I'll try.

If only I could illustrate… your edit says NO!
it would be simpler than words

The most interesting in terms of composition is #4
but the light is not quite there. In every scene there
is a subject. This subject exists only because there
in light. No subject can be more appealing than the
light that's falling on it. Every picture is much more a
light composition than a layout of subjects.

Last edited:
1. A very clever shot. People like it as it is, other option would have been from lower down in the vertical, 1/3rd selective focus wheat, 1/3rd bokeh wheat, 1/3rd blue sky.
+1 That would have been the way I'd take the scene
2. Is not my style of photography but for that summer timeless dreamy feel I think it is nailed, strong composition.
IMO, this should have been a wheat shot with tracks nothing else. I would have gone for tonal separation
3. Too much OOF area at the bottom.
+1 otherwise, playful
4. Light too difficult to work with, weakest of the set for me.
-1 the better composition for me but the shadow kills it I would have gone for tonal and WB separation
5. Technically not perfect, the telegraph lines for example but my eye appreciates that one the most, your eyes go round it more and it is a lovely scene.
… begs for tonal separation!

I am not sure on this series. Its just not my style. Of the ones you've posted five works for me. Give it a bit more sky and a bit less fg and it would be on the money.

Personally my advice to you would be to stick some petrol in your car and head to Scotland :D

I am not sure on this series. Its just not my style. Of the ones you've posted five works for me. Give it a bit more sky and a bit less fg and it would be on the money.

Personally my advice to you would be to stick some petrol in your car and head to Scotland :D

TBH I'm not so sure either. As for Scotland, sometime, but next stop is Turkey :D

Back