Reasonable priced Photo printer?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

As a hobbiest, I’m looking for suggestions for a photo printer, A3 if possible, that is compact, not overly expensive, but still give nice results?

Also one that doesn’t require the set up of specific colour profiling etc, I just want to be able to process the image from raw to jpg then print

Thanks

I have a Canon ix6850 works for what I need

I bought it because my a4 ip7250 died and it uses the same inks
Use compatible ink off Amazon
Prints are only for me and family so no point in spending lots on genuine canon

I have a Canon Pixma pro 100 with Octoink German refill ink. Works at treat and the German ink and refill kit makes it cheap enough to use. The Octoink was recommended and has worked perfectly for me, not as cheap as some refill ink but seems very stable, colour correct and has not caused me any clogs.

Hello,

As a hobbiest, I’m looking for suggestions for a photo printer, A3 if possible, that is compact, not overly expensive, but still give nice results?

Also one that doesn’t require the set up of specific colour profiling etc, I just want to be able to process the image from raw to jpg then print

Thanks

I would at least calibrate the screen, sure fire way to get rubbish prints otherwise.

What sort of percentage is your monitor set at brightness wise?
Above 50% and I wager you will get dark prints, in fact probably much above 40% would do it.
Most people have their screen set far brighter than is suitable to get a decent print.

Then we get onto colour, calibrator is your friend, well worth the outlay after all nobody does it just for fun.

I would at least calibrate the screen, sure fire way to get rubbish prints otherwise.

What sort of percentage is your monitor set at brightness wise?
Above 50% and I wager you will get dark prints, in fact probably much above 40% would do it.
Most people have their screen set far brighter than is suitable to get a decent print.

Then we get onto colour, calibrator is your friend, well worth the outlay after all nobody does it just for fun.
Thank you for the tip.

I have a Pro100, you can spend less (IP8750 from memory when i was shopping) and still get very nice prints. But honestly icc profiles are pretty darn easy and really do make a big difference. And GIMP is free and soft proofs very nicely.

I have the new canon ts8755 I think - but only goes to a4. I think you would be happy with any canon printer. I print for myself and club competitions. Occasionally sell a few.

Personally I would go for one that has independent tanks , so you can buy cheap refills rather than liquid gold ones . I have had most longevity out of canon printers as opposed to other brands . Don’t in all honesty think there’s a lot between them .. a A4 is the obviously cheaper option unless you live in a 6 bedroom mansion with lots of wall space .. and if your only going to want a odd photo to hang it’s usually cheaper to use a print shop anyway

Personally I would go for one that has independent tanks , so you can buy cheap refills rather than liquid gold ones . I have had most longevity out of canon printers as opposed to other brands . Don’t in all honesty think there’s a lot between them .. a A4 is the obviously cheaper option unless you live in a 6 bedroom mansion with lots of wall space .. and if your only going to want a odd photo to hang it’s usually cheaper to use a print shop anyway

I also have the Canon Pro 100
on the plus side - Its very, very good
minus is Inks are expensive, paper is expensive....

As said above, if its only once is a while, save your money & get it done in a print shop.

Thank you both :) After writing this and looking into things further, your right it’s either the size of the larger print printers & for any decent once it’s the cost of the ink + paper.. So yeah for now I agree & am going to look into local print shops and save some money.

forget the local print shops Joe I use these from time to time DCSL in Manchester superb quality ,cheap and ultra quick service

:agree: with Jeff @the black fox

I think that it is actually DSCL - Search for DS Colour Labs.

For many years I have produced a photobook of our year's events and I find that Photobox does a good job of an A4 book. But always wait for their offers when there can be anything betwen 25-70% off. Of particular note are their offers to buy a credit book. This allows between 1-3 months to produce.

Recently i carried out a comparison between DSCL, Photobox and Snapfish for 'A4' type prints.
I sent each six, 4x3 photo files.

Colours were comparable but DSCL had more depth.

Snapfish cut off alot of the image, as did Photoshop, but not as much. DSCL printed true to size because they have the widest range of standard sizes. In this case I chose 12x9 inches and they produced the file (shot as m4/3) accurately.
At 70p a print they are also cheaper than either of the other two. P&P is expensive at £4.99 if I remember but they state that they will send back by return if files are submitted before 1pm - and they did, as I received them the next day. The other two took over a week.

Back