Mark
Edit My Images
No
1. Sirius and Orion
50234326_2190179991076917_725764179268468736_n.jpg

47688372_2144748422286741_307205893852758016_n.jpg

3. First Milkyway attempt
48194112_2147399965354920_3244165579522703360_n.jpg

With the Birth of my son back in August I got more into trying out some Astro photography just because it was easier to nip out when he went to sleep. I've posted one already in another thread, but instead of making a separate thread for each one I'll just clump them altogether here. These were all taken with a Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 lens.

Dont know why you are getting no comments for these they are great photos
Thanks Scoober for the comment, I suspect it's due to them not being linked via the likes of flickr so there's no initial image to attract the viewers attention.

No3 is excellent (y)

Great shots number three is my favourite, could you tell me where it is please?

Great shots number three is my favourite, could you tell me where it is please?

Thanks, no.3 was taken at the Stonehaven war memorial on top of black hill just south of Stonehaven.

They are all nice but as mentioned I think the last one is fab. I will have to have a dabble myself. Thanks.

These are great, very impressed with the 3rd one.

I have made a couple of unsuccessful attempts at astro photography but will aim to have another go.

They are all nice but as mentioned I think the last one is fab. I will have to have a dabble myself. Thanks.
Thanks, you should, something about standing alone in the dark looking at the stars that is rather healing.

Last one is the clear winner - stunning shot.

In one the foreground is to dark in too blue for my liking.
Thanks,

Yeah I was rather 50/50 when it came to the first one, I quite like the blue, but I'm not totally sold on the foreground visibility.

These are great, very impressed with the 3rd one.

I have made a couple of unsuccessful attempts at astro photography but will aim to have another go.
Thanks,

I've only done half a dozen astro images, while its still easier to get out when the little one sleeps, it's the weather thats letting me down at the moment. Hazards of living on the north east coast of Scotland!

Thanks,

I've only done half a dozen astro images, while its still easier to get out when the little one sleeps, it's the weather thats letting me down at the moment. Hazards of living on the north east coast of Scotland!

At least you do not have the light polluted skies of the south east of England which is my problem.

Nicely done, the bigger stars look very pronounced in 1 & 2, is this in camera or post processing? I like it, just wondering how you create it.

Thank you, it’s in camera, I was using the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 lens to take these on a crop body camera. I have another thread where I took one photo like no.2 but with a clearer sky and some of the main stairs in that are big too!

I love 2 - were you using a filter to get the starts to glow like that, or is it an effect caused by the mist?

Thanks, no it was the clouds that made the ‘glow’ which I thought was a cool effect. It was really windy and a race against time to get something without the clouds. I actually tried to out run them as I reached the castle was pretty cool to watch them totally engulf the clear sky in front. I kept this one because the stars make a kind of skull like face in the clouds.

Thanks, no it was the clouds that made the ‘glow’ which I thought was a cool effect. It was really windy and a race against time to get something without the clouds. I actually tried to out run them as I reached the castle was pretty cool to watch them totally engulf the clear sky in front. I kept this one because the stars make a kind of skull like face in the clouds.
I know that Alyn Wallace has been working on a filter that has a similar effect - he posted it on Youtube recently. It'll be interesting to see what he's come up with.

just came across this thread, I LOVE the last image with the Milky Way and ruins.
Going to have a bash at this astrophotography in the near future with a fellow TP'er when we can arrange it.

just came across this thread, I LOVE the last image with the Milky Way and ruins.
Going to have a bash at this astrophotography in the near future with a fellow TP'er when we can arrange it.

Thanks, much appreciated. Astro is certainly a rewarding experience!

Back