Recent move to Wester Ross

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
No idea why but on the spur of the moment we put our house in Cumbria on the market in late June. Sold the same day and bought a place by the beach in Wester Ross the same week. Been in a month or so now and loving it. Totally different to the lakes. These are four from within three miles or so of the house.

There are all very nice but I think some would benefit from different crops. In my opinion:

2), take some off the sky, that dark band at the top has a negative impact

3) right side all dark unbalances it, I’d use the same ratio but crop more off the right and sky

4) just seems a bit too much sky to me :)

Not so much snow on the west coast. It's the midges that you need to worry about!

There are all very nice but I think some would benefit from different crops. In my opinion:

2), take some off the sky, that dark band at the top has a negative impact

3) right side all dark unbalances it, I’d use the same ratio but crop more off the right and sky

4) just seems a bit too much sky to me :)

I think we'll likely agree to disagree. I don't think folk use enough space in images. I tend to compose for the sky as much as anything else. I like the darkness at the top in two as it finishes the picture. In three I want the trees to have space and they are at the bottom of a dark hill and I like the tree in shade at the edge of the picture which finishes that side. Four is a actually a shot of the squall and the land at the base is just to ground the sky as opposed to the other way round. Obviously that's all my opinion as well but I tend to take pictures for me and tend to keep them the way I see them. That might make me a closed off grumpy bugger but its just the way I am.

Not so much snow on the west coast. It's the midges that you need to worry about!

I know! Not really looking forward to midge season but we are right on the coast so hopefully a bit of a breeze might keep them at bay a bit....

Some lovely light in all these - agree with the comments above about cropping #4 to a square / taking some sky off

I did look at it but this is the way I prefer it. I was just in love with the squalls coming through and it was a struggle to crop to a 5:4 never mind a square.

Aye, yer in the wilds now.
Lovely collection and the skies up there are the business. Looks like the move is suiting you, Mrs L and big Red.
Wait till the snow arrives. :D

I'm loving the skies mate. They are amazing. I've taken loads of photos of nowt but skies with wee slivers of land or sea but I'm not sure they'd go down well on here..

Looks good at your spot as well.

Yes, a breeze helps, as does rain!

There can be three midge seasons. Definitely invest in hoods/jackets, they are well worth it (but create diffraction problems on camera viewfinders). Smidge works, but also I'm happy to recommend a midge repellant that is only sold in one location, as far as I know - pm me!

I like them all as they are. Great captures. I would like to see 4 in a square crop but thats just me.

Cheers - I'm just in love with the skies and its a struggle to crop into them at all.

Cheers - I'm just in love with the skies and its a struggle to crop into them at all.

So don't...:D

I like the skies in all bar the last - but that's the weakest of them, crop or not crop.

For me the one is 2. It seems the best balanced composition and that light, sky is to die for. One of the best coastal shots I have seen in a very very long time. I'd be all over shot 3, with a little less contrast/blacks but the fencing really kills off the feeling for me. Such a wild place shouldn't have such ugly features in it. Just my 2p. Shot 2 is the one.

Yeah they are amazing. The square crop might lose the impact on the last one but I was intrigued is all. Amazing work as always Mr LJ :)

I'm loving all, but 3 in particular. i think because on first glance it tricked me into thinking it was a little stream with some bracken or summat. then yhe scale hit me...
seems pretty moody around there, in a good way of course. i guess what uou save on suncream can be spent on smidge instead

For me the one is 2. It seems the best balanced composition and that light, sky is to die for. One of the best coastal shots I have seen in a very very long time. I'd be all over shot 3, with a little less contrast/blacks but the fencing really kills off the feeling for me. Such a wild place shouldn't have such ugly features in it. Just my 2p. Shot 2 is the one.

Cheers. I know exactly what you mean. Problem is that without the fence we wouldn’t have been there. They put in a steep track over rock and bog when they built the turbine on the river. The fence was a by product. I’d like to think I’d have found this composition anyway but doubt it. It’s one to remember for winter I think.

Back