Recent selection

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while...started dating a new girl who happens to be Chinese, so between her and trying to learn Chinese, I haven't had much time for photography! We'll be going to China in April/May and visiting a wetland area so really looking forward to seeing what birds are there! Should be amazing!

Anyway here's a selection of the shots I've taken over since December which I've only just got round to processing.

Wigeon walking on ice

Another Wigeon

Couldn't believe this one. Went to Alkborough Flats to get the Beardies. I've never seen a water rail before, went into the first hide and there are THREE right in front of us! Stayed mainly in the undergrowth but kept running out so managed to get a decent one

https://flic.kr/p/TbgqGy
I've never seen a photo of one swimming before...probably just my lack of knowledge but I didn't know they swam out to catch fish so I was happy to get this even though it's not the best shot and the light was dull etc.

Reed Bunting

First Goldeneye shot I've got. Spent a good few hours down the local lake trying to get this one to come close but lots of dog walkers around. The morning I was due to leave (this was back home at my parents house) it came really close and the sun was out so I was really happy with this

Fieldfare

Hopefully I'll be able to get out and about again soon!

Last edited:
Nice set, I especially like the Bunting and Fieldfare.....and good catch on the Water Rail, would love to get that one:)

first class Chris

The edges on the Widgeon just seem a little too pronounced for my liking, (too sharpe!)

Last edited:

Wigeons & Fieldfare for me Chris, delicious!

Some really good work here Chris, looks like you've put some good thought onto them before pressing the shutter, and really good PP work as well.

I love the second wigeon with that low POV and the timing so we get a clear look at the breast between the foreground obstructions.

The Reed bunting also caught my eye, superb light and feather detail.

You did well with the the Water Rail and the details and perspective with the goldeneye are beautiful

A very strong set.

Mike

Another cool to see more from you type comment Chris grats of the new relationship all the best there

Banging set of images chris comments above more eloquent than I can give.^^^Great work some lovely pov's great detail,just a fantastic set mate. Buddy you have always produced some cool work these I feel are some of the best I have seen from you,sure i'm limited in what I do see,but they really are very well executed love them all

Post what you come back from china with please mate,I'd love to see some of them

stu.

Glad to see you back Chris, missed your contributions ... didn't realise you had been hacked by the Chinese! :D

Love the Reed Bunting.

Thanks for the great comments everybody! Still haven't got round to doing the majority of my Spain photos from last November! Will have to get round to it soon!

first class Chris

The edges on the Widgeon just seem a little too pronounced for my liking, (too sharpe!)

Haha what would you have done differently to combat that? Slightly shallower DoF? Actually I was at f5.6 so with the 1.4tc this was as low as I could go. I guess I'll be writing to Nikon to tell them the 500mm is too sharp :LOL:

Very nice Chris, great to see you back, Only wondered recently where you'd been?

Seems you've been doing a different kind of birding! :D

Really nice set, with the Fieldfare and Goldeneye as my favourites (y)

Haha yeah mate, but just the one bird this time ;) Yeah wanted to get a goldeneye for a while, I love the contrast of shimmering green and yellow eye. Hopefully will post more soon!

Another cool to see more from you type comment Chris grats of the new relationship all the best there

Banging set of images chris comments above more eloquent than I can give.^^^Great work some lovely pov's great detail,just a fantastic set mate. Buddy you have always produced some cool work these I feel are some of the best I have seen from you,sure i'm limited in what I do see,but they really are very well executed love them all

Post what you come back from china with please mate,I'd love to see some of them

stu.

Cheers Stu!

I'm blushing! Though I do have to admit it's a pretty strong set with the swimming water rail the weak point for me. I'm definitely going to enjoy China! Never been before and will be doing the great wall but I'm not really a landscape photographer, so will be mainly interested in bird life! She's happy to take me to xixi wetlands so I'm hoping loads of birds there :D

Glad to see you back Chris, missed your contributions ... didn't realise you had been hacked by the Chinese! :D

Love the Reed Bunting.

Haha luckily this one is really beautiful and doesn't hack websites :)

Haha what would you have done differently to combat that? Slightly shallower DoF? Actually I was at f5.6 so with the 1.4tc this was as low as I could go. I guess I'll be writing to Nikon to tell them the 500mm is too sharp :LOL:

:)

Chris, still looks a little "odd" to me - did you sharpen the edges in Photoshop? .. the image looks cut out and pasted on to me, (looking at it on a 27" 5K retina)

looks at edge of ducks breast

image as above

Chris_1.jpg

amended, only edge of Ducks breast

Chris_2.jpg

Last edited:
@BillN_33 I've not done anything at all to the breast, it's exactly as shot with a bit of exposure and 25 sharpening (default) on ACR. I can't tell on my phone but I'll check your edit when I'm at work.

@BillN_33 I've not done anything at all to the breast, it's exactly as shot with a bit of exposure and 25 sharpening (default) on ACR. I can't tell on my phone but I'll check your edit when I'm at work.

@htid - It is not just the breast, I just selected that as an illustration

There is no problem with the image and it is not lens sharpening that I see, it is digital "sharpening" - which is not sharpening but is caused by post processing and "black edges" being put around each pixel to give the effect of sharpening

I guess that this shot was taken with the D500 ........... if so I always have seen that the D500 has a "look" of it's own - so that is what I could be seeing

my comments only relate to the Widgeon image

Last edited:
@htid - It is not just the breast, I just selected that as an illustration

There is no problem with the image and it is not lens sharpening that I see, it is digital "sharpening" - which is not sharpening but is caused by post processing and "black edges" being put around each pixel to give the effect of sharpening

I guess that this shot was taken with the D500 ........... if so I always have seen that the D500 has a "look" of it's own - so that is what I could be seeing

my comments only relate to the Widgeon image

You're right that it was taken with the d500 and i agree about the look of the camera, so I'll put it down to just that. Will still go back and check what adjustments i made to see if anything there could be causing it, but i don't remember doing anything drastic.

Back