Recent Trip to Glasgow

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently had a nice day trip to Glasgow and managed to get some architecture shots. Here are the six shots I got from the day:

The University of Glasgow Cloisters
University of Glasgow Cloisters by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

The University of Glasgow West Quadrangle
University of Glasgow West Quadrangle by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

The University of Glasgow Chapel
University of Glasgow Chapel by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum East Court
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Central Hall
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Central Hall by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

St Aloysius Roman Catholic Church Glasgow
St Aloysius Church by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

The links are 800x534 preview resolution. On the flickr account I have posted the full resolution size being 5184x3456 if you are interested in seeing the full size versions.
:)

I am aware of perspective distortion with using such a wide angle lens and am aware that I can correct it via stretching the image in photoshop. My long term goal is to get a full fame camera and use a tilt shift lens. Unlike most people I don't want the full frame for noise performance but because of the crop factor. Canon's widest angle tilt shift is 17mm which isn't bad at all, although when you put that on a cropped sensor with a x1.6 magnification the effective focal length isn't that wide being 27mm instead of 17mm which is quite a big difference. For my personal tastes I am not "too" bothered about perspective distortion and as for shooting I shoot as a hobby and only want to please myself. Having said that I welcome criticisms with regards to full frame and tilt shift, they are nice but I have to live within my means. As for photoshop perspective correction, I'd rather correct the perspective optically and for personal preference would rather leave the perspective alone than stretch pixels. Thanks for taking the time to give some positive feedback Philip, it is much appreciated. :)

I like the choice of subject and the exposure, Michael. However, the amount of distortion takes away so much from the images. Have you considered adjusting it in software?

I agree.

Michael, how did you get these venues completely devoid of people. Never been in the church, but the Uni and museum are busy places.

I agree.

Michael, how did you get these venues completely devoid of people. Never been in the church, but the Uni and museum are busy places.

I think the University is quite quiet at the moment as I think most students have finished and it is graduation time. For the quadrangle the were actually a few people in it. Basically I metered the scene and shot in manual mode and took a few photographs all using the same exposure settings. Then imported the multiple photographs into photoshop layers and when I erased a person from one layer then underlying layer had no one in it. As for the museum and church, I went to the museum an hour before closing time, asked if I could take photos and use a tripod which they said yes. I just waited until no one was in the scene then took multiple exposures for an hdr image, no farting about with photoshop tricks that time. Basically museums really start to get very quiet in the last hour before closing time, enough that you can quite often get a clean shot with no one in the frame. As for the cloister I just waited until that was clear, only had to wait about 10 minutes or so.

A long time ago I went to the Natural History Museum in London. I went out of season late September and time wise I went in the last hour before closing time and managed to get a clear shot:
Natural History Museum by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

Basic rule of doing museums is that if you want no one in the shot then go out of season AND during the last hour of open time NOT in the middle of the day.

I think the University is quite quiet at the moment as I think most students have finished and it is graduation time. For the quadrangle the were actually a few people in it. Basically I metered the scene and shot in manual mode and took a few photographs all using the same exposure settings. Then imported the multiple photographs into photoshop layers and when I erased a person from one layer then underlying layer had no one in it. As for the museum and church, I went to the museum an hour before closing time, asked if I could take photos and use a tripod which they said yes. I just waited until no one was in the scene then took multiple exposures for an hdr image, no farting about with photoshop tricks that time. Basically museums really start to get very quiet in the last hour before closing time, enough that you can quite often get a clean shot with no one in the frame. As for the cloister I just waited until that was clear, only had to wait about 10 minutes or so.

A long time ago I went to the Natural History Museum in London. I went out of season late September and time wise I went in the last hour before closing time and managed to get a clear shot:
Natural History Museum by Michael D Beckwith, on Flickr

Basic rule of doing museums is that if you want no one in the shot then go out of season AND during the last hour of open time NOT in the middle of the day.

First rate shot, Michael (y)

Back