Recoloring old pics?

Name
Annet
Edit My Images
No
What do you think about recoloring of old photos? I mean, getting rid of all the scratches and stains is a good thing but I'm not so sure about recoloring. To me it just doesn't look really right, as if the photos lose a big part of their authenticity. I know it's always very subjective but looking at the photos that are provided as an example (like from this Family tree article) makes me feel as if the recoloring was unnecessary. What do you think? Do you like recolored old pictures or is it just me?

Attachments

Name
Anthony Ralph
Edit My Images
Yes
Keeping the saturation contained, lowering as necessary, often gives a more authentic look.

Anthony

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I quite like the idea.

I've been thinking for a while about printing a B&W image out on matt paper and having a go at recolouring it (what that actually means to me is "colouring it in")

All that's stopping me is a lack of colouring implements. I'm sure my daughter has some coloured pencils in the loft....

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
If you use the original watercolours, it can go very wrong very quickly,
I even failed with Bob Ross' '2" brush', so there's no way I'd be any good with delicate watercolours. Pencils though... Right. Off up into the loft!

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
What do you think about recoloring of old photos? I mean, getting rid of all the scratches and stains is a good thing but I'm not so sure about recoloring. To me it just doesn't look really right, as if the photos lose a big part of their authenticity. I know it's always very subjective but looking at the photos that are provided as an example (like from this Family tree article) makes me feel as if the recoloring was unnecessary. What do you think? Do you like recolored old pictures or is it just me?
Adding colour by hand to mono images was very much the thing to do at one time - my inlaws had a wedding photo with the bride's lips coloured scarlet, boquet leaves green, roses red, rouge on cheeks etc.

In a wider sense, I have a friend who does hand coloured fine art prints (they look horrible to me here on her website, but they're actually nice in meatspace). https://www.janinekilroe.com/about-me

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
In a wider sense, I have a friend who does hand coloured fine art prints (they look horrible to me here on her website, but they're actually nice in meatspace). https://www.janinekilroe.com/about-me
Thanks for the link Toni... Yeah... It'll be a while before I get to that standard :)

I really like some of it... Some of it not so much... I've had a go at a couple more myself and they've just gone straight in the bin. The art is in getting the right colours and blending them well. And I need a lot of practise at both. As for using watercolour like your friend... lol... I'd just make a terrible mess.

Name
Catherine
Edit My Images
No
I don't really like colorized pics but if always depends on the particular picture. Sometimes even the historical pictures look much more interesting in color and more details can be viewed.