Recomendations on best Apple imac for large raw files.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Ok I’m at a loss, I’m not in any way someone who knows much about computers.
i love photography and enjoy all now digital, but my Apple iMac is so very slow

I have an Apple iMac thats over 8 years old and so slow when working with large raw files from my z7 etc.

So I’m looking at getting a replacement new iMac that’s faster with a bigger 27inch screen.

So I’m looking for any recommendations on best model plus recommendations on best places to buy.

I really would appreciate any help here.

using lightroom and adobe

thank you

Last edited:
I had a Mac- it was slow using Photoshop too- My new PC is a Dell Inspiron with a 36 inch monitor - 1TB Hard drive with a 2TB external Drive and 16Gb RAM- works very well indeed- I will never go back to Mac ( oh that rhymes lol ) :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

This is not the time to buy an iMac, with new chipsets being developed. Best bet if you want to stay Apple is a 16GB M1 Mac mini plus good screen.

This is not the time to buy an iMac, with new chipsets being developed. Best bet if you want to stay Apple is a 16GB M1 Mac mini plus good screen.
I’d second this.

I’m in the same boat as you as I have a 2012 21.5 inch iMac. It started to slow down a couple of years ago so I started to boot it off an external SSD. That’s helped a bit and hopefully extend it a bit longer.

I’ve started to look at the new Mac mini as a replacement but I’m going to try to wait until it has native adobe software and the second chip second is out to replace the i5 and i7 intels they are still selling. I’ve even looked at PCs too.

Have you considered the new Mac Mini with M1 chip and a good monitor?

I've been an iMac user since 2009 but with the new Apple silicone, I'm changing to Mac Mini.

I've just ordered a 16gb version for my photo editing and in the next year to two will upgrade that to the next gen chip and use this one to replace my work iMac with a couple of cheaper monitors.

Why not buy the iMac Pro with the Xeon processor.

Because today that is the ultimate way to waste money for a system that will only remain current for a few months and probably stop getting updates soon after... The writing is on the wall for any apple with intel CPU. Unless you are just happy running bootcamp windows.

Op there may be a couple of ways to prolong the life of your system by about a year. Max out your Ram, and ensure you are working from full Ssd. As a last resort you can I stall the Mac os to external USB / thunderbolt Ssd and work from it. It's not difficult at all. 2nd half of 2021 should offer plenty more and better choices with usb4 and ddr5, and likely much improved apple M2. Now it's really s*** time to buy anything

Because today that is the ultimate way to waste money for a system that will only remain current for a few months and probably stop getting updates soon after... The writing is on the wall for any apple with intel CPU. Unless you are just happy running bootcamp windows.

Why do you keep writing this nonsense?

Why do you keep writing this nonsense?

Whatever. It is probably just a conspiracy theory that apple is halfway through migration to own chips and that 2017 iMac pro is considerably outperformed by much cheaper high end latest non-pro. Sadly not everyone is a globalist like you with a daily spending budget of £10k or more

Whatever. It is probably just a conspiracy theory that apple is halfway through migration to own chips and that 2017 iMac pro is considerably outperformed by much cheaper high end latest non-pro. Sadly not everyone is a globalist like you with a daily spending budget of £10k or more
"a system that will only remain current for a few months"

Meaningless Nonsense.

Back