Recommend Chair for Hide

Edit My Images
Yes
I know this seems a relatively straightforward question but can anyone recommend a chair or what I need to look for in a chair to use in a photography hide. I've managed to acquire a Wildlife Watching Supplies standard dome hide at a good price and looking to get a chair to go with it. The aim is to start by practicing on garden birds and then move to woodland as a friend who has some land has said he's happy for me to use that.

Any hints or tips from hide users appreciated.

I have a pop up hide and that is fitted with a camping chair, even has a place for tea/coffee/beer. ;)

I had one from wildlife watching supplies but I've also used a camping type chair which was comfy for long shifts in the hide ( sometimes too comfy :sleep: )

If you're looking to save weight you might consider the Walkstool ( http://walkstool.com/ ) The wife and I have one each. We've used them at airshows and other events where space is tight. There are cheaper alternatives but we've tried some and none have been as light or as sturdy.

If you're looking to save weight you might consider the Walkstool ( http://walkstool.com/ ) The wife and I have one each. We've used them at airshows and other events where space is tight. There are cheaper alternatives but we've tried some and none have been as light or as sturdy.
They look just the job for watching golf too. I sometimes us a shooting stick but they're hardley comfortable.

I have one of these and find the fold out table very handy (to put butties, drink, note pad, etc. on), plus the side pockets on the left hand side too. I don't know if it will fit in your hide or whether you need something more portable and easy to carry, but if you aren't walking too far from the car it might be of interest to you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towsure-...noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Last edited:
Walk stools are probably the best out their in that design , they not cheap but good . The only thing I found against the walk stool is that they sink in the mud , you could always put a piece of wood under the feet . You also need to consider the height of your hides windows , you will soon acquire a stiff neck and or back if your bending or leaning to look through the viewfinder for long periods .

Personally I've never found those 3 legged walkstool things comfortable, they are fine for a quick rest but I wouldn't want to spend a few hours sitting on one. I think you need back support for that length of time.
I suppose the big question is does it need to be light? Theres plenty of camping chairs in places like go-outdoors, some are really great with padded seats ect, but they can be heavy.
As Lepus says work out what hight you need to be beofre going looking and take a tape measure with you.

Thanks for all the input. There some good suggestions in there. I'm not certain if the stool may work for me for sitting any length of time though.

Weight initially isn't going to be too much of an issue as I won't have to carry it that far but I'll certainly check out some camping shops with my tape measure.

I used to use a three legged stool for football matches, I never had any problems with it not being comfortable, but maybe that’s just me!

I used to use a three legged stool for football matches, I never had any problems with it not being comfortable, but maybe that’s just me!
I've got an old back injury (5 fused vertebrae) so it's more likely me than you Gordon.

les
a 60 kg chair you must be a skinny bugger lol lol

Not at all I'm 6ft 2 inches and weigh 16 stone - I used that as an example, of the type of stool I use for Photography and Shooting ( Ex Gamekeeper) :) sorry to the OP if that was unclear.

It would be exceptionally snug Les, probably best one at a time but I could pass some beer out to you. ;)

Now that sounds like a plan Dale :banana::beer:

Les :)

I use a folding boat seat for a lot of wildlife photography... I typically like to get lower, and this allows me to sit on the ground. It is also padded for comfort and has good back support. The hard plastic base prevents rocks from poking through and keeps you dry. I've used it on very uneven/rocky surfaces before w/o issue. I drilled a couple holes in the edge and attached a strap (it has a snap strap to hold it folded closed while carrying/stored).
But it is bulky and not particularly light. And the bottom has a webbing pattern that can pack with mud which can be a bit messy at times.

51HBYCycbML.jpg

Last edited:
The WWS dome has some low openings, doesn't it? Like Steve above I also like to get low. A little Kampa chair is what we use. I'd love to find something like this in carbon fiber if I'm honest. It comes in a little bag with shoulder strap. I guess I prefer a backrest I am lucky to not have Wayne's problems. If you are spending long vigils in a hide the biggest tip I can give is make sure what ever you buy suits you really well and is comfortable for you!!

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/kampa-sandy-high-back-low-chair/

We have been using these for a couple of years now,no real complaints. I'd like a better bag for it the strap is a bit short. My lady sadly suffers like Wayne with back issues this little chair has her approval,it's a little cracker for £20. It just might be too low for your needs. If weight is not an issue it's worth looking at what the Carp(fishing) guys use .

stu

Another option would be a fishing chair, if you are going to be sat for hours then they have adjustable legs so you can level it properly and a lot of them now have bolt on accessories too like side tables. I have the korum accessory chair (for fishing that is) and its been excellent

I use a folding boat seat for a lot of wildlife photography... I typically like to get lower, and this allows me to sit on the ground. It is also padded for comfort and has good back support. The hard plastic base prevents rocks from poking through and keeps you dry. I've used it on very uneven/rocky surfaces before w/o issue. I drilled a couple holes in the edge and attached a strap (it has a snap strap to hold it folded closed while carrying/stored).
But it is bulky and not particularly light. And the bottom has a webbing pattern that can pack with mud which can be a bit messy at times.

51HBYCycbML.jpg
Ohh this looks interesting.

I used to use camping stools. Error.

If there's space, a proper camping chair with back support is essential. I would even suggest getting something more rigid than the typical £10 chair you get get at a camping store. Proper metal frame (still folds up) with taught material will be a god send when sitting for a long time.

If you're restricted on space, you can get stools with backs. They are surprisingly hard to find, but I managed to pick one up somewhere for £30 (completely forgot where now, sorry).

Also, if you're on muddy ground, chairs will sink into the mud and it's a complete pain. So bring some small squares of MDF or plywood etc to put under the feet. That'll stop you constantly having to shift around and making your hide floor look like Glastonbury!

A fishing chair would be my only consideration - for the same reasons as keeweeman suggested plus the fact that they will also have feet that won't sink into the ground. Camping chairs tend to be utter rubbish IME.

Seeing @WillNicholls post reminded of something I recall from some time back on the same subject!

It was to use a 'shooting chair' and the suggested one was the Bergara Folding Shooting Seat (I won't put links to feed the sites ;) ) but do a search and they still look ideal(?) with a back, padded seat, adjustable length legs for uneven ground & legs with large feet, and swivel 360degrees plus they pack away for transporting..............though darned pricey!!!

Back