Wild Red Ape

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
Last week BBC2 aired a compelling documentary with the same title. I have to say it effected me deeply. I have been photographing these great apes in Borneo over the past 5 years, with Indonesia being the most frequent. Having seen them in the wild I found the piece particularly distressing to watch. Last night we saw the equally catastrophic future that lies ahead for the Pangolin. The unflinching spirits of those championing change and protection are truly remarkable. We can do better.

These two images were taken a few weeks ago in Indonesia where I spent over a month leading tours. These are the fortunate ones because they're protected within the boundaries of a national park. The wider view is at 35mm, to give a better sense of the environment. The second was at 400mm.

orangutan01.jpg

orangutan02.jpg

First image really shows the perspective, space and environment well.
Second one is just superb, great shot, sharp and composition.
I feel for them.

Des me too deeply affected,mind I have been for years,thier plight is so sad and they are the most wonderful of apes

I'm incredibly jealous that you have seen them in the wild and I love the frames and that you took time to share with us.

but the sadness ahh man I have no words,it rips me apart

stu

Wowza!

Have to say i love wider environmental shots showing animals within their natral habitat (or whats left of it in all too many cases). Wonderful images

Really nice shots.

Which park were they taken in? I saw them in Gunung Leuser National Park, Sumatra five or six years ago. I'd love to go back to that part of the world and see them in a different area some day.

Beautiful - thank you for sharing :)

Back