Red Arrows at the Great North Run

Edit My Images
Yes
Shots were taken from the car park at Tynemouth Priory car park. It has the advantage of being across the river (Tyne) from where the display is (South Shield), so you get a slightly different perspective on the action. The other great thing is that its about 150' higher than the display area, so the planes are having to fly around you, hence the ability to 'see' into the cockpits :)

I must be learning as I took all the shots at iso 100, Tv set at 1/500 and let the camera do its thing for the aperture.

#1 Diamond 9
GNR_RA_2.jpg

#2 Solo
GNR_RA_4.jpg

#3 Air Brake!
GNR_RA_6.jpg

#4 A Smokey Display Ground
GNR_RA_7.jpg

Can here's me thinking you need something fancy to get shots like that!:D :D

Timing was good today. Just got a nice fat hot dog in me mouth and they arrived. Fortunately I had me daughter with me, so she could hold the grub during shooting. Not sure if the lens is fried onion proof :LOL:

#5 Low Pass
GNR_RA_3.jpg

#6 Inverted
GNR_RA_5.jpg

Must control the urge to post more picy's :|

I was busy putting up a new fence when 4 of them flew over the house at about 250" - by the time I had ran in got the camera, changed over from the 50mm prime to my 300mm, got in the car and got down to the coast.... they had gone.

I had a feeling somebody else might post them up. Great shots from the priory looking into the cockpit. Thanks for posting them up and also the settings - very helpful.

Did you get caught in the torrential downpour afterwards?

Bob

Lovely set Wetsparks - crystal clear and sharp as anything... last one made me do a double take!!

John

Got home before the heavens opened :)

As I said, I set the camera on Tv @ 1/500. Range of apertures was from f7 to f10. Needless to say I am well pleased with the results, far better then I got at Leuchars.

4 Arrows
4_Arrows.jpg

I could swear when I zoom in on the original shot that the pilot in the middle plane is looking at me ;)

Climbing Arrow
Climbing_Arrow.jpg

:nono: Must stop :nono:

Wetsparks,

They are al great shots, but "4 Arrows" is out standing! I hope you're going to get that printed and framed!

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for that :)

Yes, I'm seriously considering sending a couple of them off for pro printing :)

Nice shots - I love the perspective from that viewpoint too - gives a totally different look to the whole thing.

Must be my rubbishy laptop monitor but they've got a distinct blue cast here?? :cautious:
Other than that they're really nice captures indeed (y)

very cool!

Thought I'd just tack this shot on the bottom :eek:

It was a strange day weather wise, with the breeze coming off the land and rising. There was also a lot of light reflected off the water which I think may not have helped. But certainly as the display progressed the smoke was, well see for yourselves:

The Fog
The_Fog.jpg

BTW, many thanks to all for your kind and encouraging comments, even about the hot dog :D

Back