Red Arrows close pass

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive seen some excellent shots of these aircraft passing each other so thought I would give it a go. Unfortunately because I am panning on one to keep it in focus, the other is always blurred. (I suppose with a closing speed of about 7-800mph thats not surprising.) How to get them both nice and sharp? Anyone any ideas or proven technique please?
Examples...

Arrowspass by 1979Bree, on Flickr

Redspassed by 1979Bree, on Flickr

Redspassing1 by 1979Bree, on Flickr

Redpass by 1979Bree, on Flickr

Hopefully I will get another opportunity at Waddington so I have set myself a bit of a challenge.

I can understand your problem. But three and four look good to me even with the focus on the nearer plane.

They look ok to me a few tweaks to processing and they will look good. As for getting the two planes in focus you would need to increase the shutter speed and F stops to increase the depth of field but that would increase the iso and image noise. Hope that helps.

As you said, the act of panning with one combined with the closing speed means that the other will be out of focus, my favourite crossover shot also has one blurred but I can live with that. The other thing to consider is that the Hawk's wingspan (of 32') means that you're looking at around 40' of distance between the 2 fuselages which in terms of DOF will add to the separation effect (for the shots where they're straight and level).

Back