Red deer "eye spy"

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I was taking some photos of a stag in velvet and relying on the advice that they don't really recognise humans if you stand absolutely still. He was clearly suspicious though, and eventually closed one eye as we might do when taking photos or firing a gun. I've no idea whether this is normal behaviour or not, so thought I would ask here.

DSCF5278-tp.jpg

DSCF5285-tp.jpg

I've not shot many reds Pete,seen falow munty and roe all close eyes and all also sort of wet their nose with the tongue also a bit of head dipping. All behaviours of utterly wild deer trying to work out what it is clicking at them. Pete these observations are mine as are the conclusions. They are not from a book and there is no science behind them,but they all do it and so regularly there has to be a tie in to a certain set of circumstances. IE me pretending to be a tree and them not quite able to work out what they can hear. IE your circumstances.

Mate normally I see both eyes close and together at that, not a wink but a blink,whether that has significance I know not,I suspect it might have????
T'other thing is your buddy has closed the eye that is on the sun side,the brow has shaded the other open eye . Maybe fella can try see you better like this?

Peter I'm a bit OCD I guess,I sort of wear camo for a pastime so if i'm chasing deer tis likely i'm head to toe glove head covered the whole shebang. . The first thing they spot is a moving human shape,the three white blobs of hands and face mean they have you a field away,lesser with those covered. They will see a standing human but it's a struggle,munty will have you first fallow next roe can be silly blind up close if one is a tree or trying to be one. So I'm a bit unsure as to reds,because I don't interact with them..... see them. watch them................. ha:D try to make a piccy, at the same level as the other species. I know hand on heart the species I see, see me in slightly different ways. So logically red might differ somewhat.

how did ya make these images..... landscape or portrait??

Just thoughts Peter, god knows if any help......... could be as simple as a fly in the wrong place:) I don't think anyone could give a definitive to cause of the eye being shut but there are def behaviours shared betwixt the species of deer in how they react to an image maker stood stock still;)

take care

stu

Thanks Stu, that's helpful. You're right enough about it being his shaded eye that's open, since I hadn't clocked that.

The photos were all landscape and cropped quite heavily, and luckily I had the 55-200 lens on the Fuji when I was getting it out of the car. He had his head down chomping away and I was downwind of him, so was able to get in position before he lifted his head up. As soon as I took one step, he was off back through the greenery behind him at top speed, so clearly the movement was what made him realise I was human!

Pete if after a close deer portrait shoot portrait they are long not wide. I probably move FP's too early ,but put them up towards the top..... don't move ......... I'm using shutter noise, to provoke curiosity but I guess you might be silent/mirrorless ,keep still let them come to you..move they go.it's a given. If you move go low and when they have their head down,but be aware once suspicious they'll look back up quick. and catch ya mid stride. which can be hilarious

I guess image makers focus on eyes Pete so it's it might have been nice if the bugger would have winked the other way...as it were;)

I’m a human! But I’m brown, so I guess I’d be fine
ha I don't know whether they class me as human Leroy and I'ma bit on the old brown side myself bro .........................,weather beaten they call it:LOL:. I think your skin might give you a slight advantage but they'll still have you if your moves are too abrupt,as sure as houses. Have a go buddy come back tell us what you find out(y)

Back