Wild Red Deer Stag

Lovely.

tripod mark? Mate this is a proper grey ol day had to have a look at the techs , always trying to learn am forced like so many of us to go out when given a chance to hell with the weather. I'm stunned by how low your shutter is buddy detail is fab ,but wow on that shutter. Mark tis a cool image as always cracking in execution,although I was ribbing ya the other day about Nikon( I'm always up for a laugh) now i'm being a bit more serious.......

it has always been said that they really have fantastic sensors( Nik ) probably out class canons,(i'm cool with all this stuff not precious about the brands at all). You call your camera the master of darkness yourself,which I have always believed is a ref to the sensor's ability to function in low light levels Why didn't you push the iso further mate for more shutter? You obviously have the technical, ability hard won, to achieve sharp at this lower shutter but if beastie moved you surely would have had motion blur?

Does this choice have anything to do with the dark BKG? the rain??

I'm very curious as to your choice of techs bro pure and simple,i don't know where the iso can be pushed to on the D4,but imagine much higher than 1800 I'm trying to work out if the choice was first deliberate and if so, second why these techs. Apologies Mark, trying to learn how to deal with crap light I hope this is ok,I do bother folks with Q's but there is no real point to a critique forum without questions.

Mate in these conditions I think it is an incredible bit o work. detail and colour on the old man look wonderful as with the grasses up front love the slope on the grasses reversed in bkg. Mark tis cropped to square one way or another ,do you have more to the right,the way the hill runs up and away pulls the eye round the pic,personaly I'd like to see more. if you have it:eek:ne never knows the real confines of a shot. like this as an onlooker.
Very cool bro, special moment with a wild deer is hard won,but nailing the shot like this in crap weather is amazing kiddo god I'd love to be able to do that

Ha that's blighty though at least we get chance to practice in the dull grey even us southern folks:D

Stu

Stuart, the lower iso was due to the dark background which show noise quicker than lighter background. I have had that lens for may many years so know what i can hand hold. As you say though is you can get subject movement however knowing the subject and how its likely to react helps and i know i can go lower speeds if i wanted to which would mean i could again lower the iso. I have shots that im happy with from the D4s which are shot at over 12k iso, it depends on the overall image though. I often set my auto iso to around 10k but thats only with fast moving subjects with lighter parts in the image. I agree with the Nikon having better sensors for higher iso etc however Cannon have better focus systems. Im happy shooting some subjects at 1/10th sec including some birds with tge 600f4 and 1.4tc either on a tripod or on a bean bag. This images has more on left and right however with the head on subject and eye contact i wanted to let the viewer get a closer view. I only left a little on the right due to the line from the trees weaving away from the image. Hope this helps.

Stuart, the lower iso was due to the dark background which show noise quicker than lighter background. I have had that lens for may many years so know what i can hand hold. As you say though is you can get subject movement however knowing the subject and how its likely to react helps and i know i can go lower speeds if i wanted to which would mean i could again lower the iso. I have shots that im happy with from the D4s which are shot at over 12k iso, it depends on the overall image though. I often set my auto iso to around 10k but thats only with fast moving subjects with lighter parts in the image. I agree with the Nikon having better sensors for higher iso etc however Cannon have better focus systems. Im happy shooting some subjects at 1/10th sec including some birds with tge 600f4 and 1.4tc either on a tripod or on a bean bag. This images has more on left and right however with the head on subject and eye contact i wanted to let the viewer get a closer view. I only left a little on the right due to the line from the trees weaving away from the image. Hope this helps.

Many thanks Mark for the time and insight in the reply. the experience you have mate is what made me ask. There was a reason for that choice in techs, many thanks for sharing that. It's hard at this stage not being able to explore post properly,i'm not able to gain much experience of NR and how that can effect the choices in techs,but I am starting to become very aware of certain situations where i'm struggling,appreciate this mate really do.

Love the second pic,amazing what can be done with scooby snax;).

Ha, you are a dead ringer for an axeman I used to jam with, lovely guy, also called Mark...... weird !!

Joking aside thank you Mark I do appreciate your time,I'd love the chance to get out more in better light,but need to be much better tech wise when things are less than ideal.

much to learn cheers

stu

It'll come in time Mark,I honestly don't think I could enjoy it more.I've always been telling someone about this encounter or that:rolleyes: The dimension of adding an image into that is kinda wonderful.

I'm brutal with myself Mark, realistic, I feel, when one sees what can be done: the levels that are being achieved. But any craft isn't easily won,I'll always be frustrated by not being able to bang in the hours I need,but little will dampen my enthusiasm for this

belucky mate

Stu

Back