Red Footed Falcon

A beautiful bird to get, very well done.

We had one last year or the year before ( bad memory ) down here in Cornwall at Porthgwarra which I managed to get
some shots of, though always at distance.

This birds shows really well and often comes too close to photograph hovering over the heads of the people watching.

Tim

This birds shows really well and often comes too close to photograph hovering over the heads of the people watching.

Tim

Very different to the one we had, could not get withing 100 yrds of it, a very flighty bird. I have being following the news of yours and
other birds on a different forum ;):)

Last saw one about 2 years ago in Derbyshire and that was the same it just stuck the other side of the field from where we stood only coming briefly to hunt over the river.
But this Staffs bird really doesn't care and gives great views and you just have to wait a while and it will come very close, some times too close in fact.

Tim.

I read that it was being well fed with Locust's and Mealworms :), some was saying they think it could be an escapee as it so approachable though I have no idea if that is true or not. We get a lot of over shooting migrants down here, many do not survive for very long which is a shame, like the Yellow Billed Cuckoo which turned up back in the Spring totally exhausted, I dipped out on that one, its also being a very good year for Hoopoe's, not a lot happening at present just the local birds. Autumn will soon be here so will see what turns up then.

Someone indeed feed the bird on Saturday with some locusts, but the bird comes very close with out have to bring food for the bird, yes it gave us all great views but came far too close for anyone to actually get any shots. Its just best waiting and letting the bird come to you, you wont have to wait long before you get some great views.
People have talked about it being an escapee but that has been put to bed, see the thread on BF for the whole story.

Tim.

Had a quick trip to see this bird last Saturday (thanks to Tim) after visiting my mum in Staffordshire.

One of the easiest twitches I've ever been on! not that I've been on many.....

For a long period on Saturday morning it was perched in a hazel bush/tree on the edge of the road, probably to get cover from a stiff breeze. Probably about 4 feet from the edge of the pavement. But there was quite a thick shield of branches and leaves between bird and viewer. If you chose your spot carefully you could see its feet or its face, but I had to take a few steps back as my bins wouldn't focus that close!

Stunning little bird.

Glad you managed to get and see the bird, as you say Jerry it's a real stunner and well worth the trip to see it.

Tim.

Its a great shame that someone has tried to capture this bird.

Tim.

Back