Red Grouse

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, anybody know any good locations they are willing to share to photograph red grouse in heather please. Ideally the Peak District if possible.

Many thanks

J

Higgor Tor. Curber edge. Stannage edge, In fact anywhere that the heather is growing you will find the Grouse.

IMG_1129.JPG
Cheers John, any of these locations suitable for photographing from the car.?

You probably need to get out of the car, but will not need to go far. I was taking a landscape last year and didn't realise there was a red grouse in tree. 100/200 yards from the road. You could also listen for shotguns but probably not wise the get too close! Walkers will usually say if they have seen any.

Last edited:
Going up to the Peaks myself soon. Found a few on Higger Tor before. Unfortunately we are only a few days away from the ‘Glorious Twelfth’ so may be a little more skittish than usual.

Yeah I realise that, a bit late I guess.. You going up,with George.?

Cheers John, any of these locations suitable for photographing from the car.?
Higgor Tor is a short walk, Curbar is a bit longer but still fairly short, with the added bonus of possibly seeing Red deer at this time of year. Early morning being the best time for both places.
Neither of these venues have shooting on them.

Report in the press today that grouse nos are substantially down this season due to the harsh winter and hot summer. Several shoots have been cancelled.

Sheffield end of Stanage Edge is usually good for grouse and with parking and a flat path.

There are some amazing deer around at the moment, generally on Big Moor behind White Edge.

I am visiting next week, any signs of red grouse? Is the heather good this year?

I am visiting next week, any signs of red grouse? Is the heather good this year?
I visited last week, the heather didn't look as good as previous years when it was a sea of vibrant purple. It looked quite dry and frazzled (as my wife described it) by the recent hot weather. There is some patches of vibrant purple but large amounts of dry lighter areas of heather. If you got some sun it would probably looked better but unfortunately the sun was missing most of the time I was up there.

Back