Wild Red Kite

Good hunting Dennis! Cool take and rendition.

Reactions: den
Great pose and detail but I'm not likeing the crop personally. Slightly too close at top and bottom but just my preference.

Den, you are just too good

just on the crop comments - I think that it is good to try different ones - you never know until you try - the image would look good no matter how it's cropped ...... but I can see why you made the comment Chris

Thanks for the crop comments ,what I was looking at was the emphasise of the bird from the inside looking out(if that makes sense) ,as my main POF in my opinion is the eyes

Saw this on Flickr earlier, probably one of the best Red Kite photos i have seen, the lighting is absolutely perfect, great pose, and eye contact too, couldn't ask for more

What I wanted to say has already been said, so "cracking" is all I can say.

great shot - my first thoughts were about the 'tight crop' then thought, bo***cks, its you're photo..you like it and thats what matters most
there is 'generally' no right or wrong
nice one

Works terrifically well for me, Den (y) - Great technical detail, pose and colour too!
What are you doing straying into Gods Own Country? :D

Russ
Hi Russ,i am on the border of Lancs and Yorkshire, Leeds is only 20/30 mins away for me ,spent a lot of time around Fairburn over the recent years ,thanks for taking time to comment

great shot - my first thoughts were about the 'tight crop' then thought, bo***cks, its you're photo..you like it and thats what matters most
there is 'generally' no right or wrong
nice one
Hi Rob, as said personal choice no right or wrong on certain occasions but good to hear different views

With that diagonal pose the crop is just right. My only nit is that it is posted too big to see on my screen without scrolling

Stan

it may be that it is because it is a more or less square crop but it much bigger than your normal posts

Presume you know there is a drop down box on flickr so you can choose the size to copy and post

Stan

Shan't pontificate Den no time the dog's *****
nuff said

Stu

I missed this earlier in week just seen now and it's a wow factor image for me detail is just stunning in perfect light

Wow, very nice and appears to be looking straight at you :)

And the wing tips flared out, giving you a real sense of him ? moving and turning...

It's all been said above!! Brilliant shot.

Great shot and I quite like the crop on this. What settings were used and what equipment

Simply stunning! My first time in this area and what a shot to start with.
My favourite raptor and now my favourite photograph...well done indeed!

I must be looking at a different image to everyone else. :thinking:

Before daring to comment, I've checked the image on three different screens, on here, and on Flickr too.

It's a great capture, of that there is no doubt, but the resulting image that's been posted I find to be wildly over-processed and unrealistic. On close inspection, there is virtually zero detail about the head and the forward areas of the wings. In fact, there is far more feather detail (albeit noisy) under the bird at the back of the wing and the tail, than there is at the front/head. To me, this looks more like a painting than a photograph. It's a great 'image'.

I'd love to see what was obtained SOOC Dennis, but would that be asking too much? I realise that you will probably take this as a 'dig', but I can promise you that is not the case. I see lots of wild Red Kites, both in very good light and under cloudy conditions. I've never seen one looking quite as flourescent as this! Granted, the 'wow-factor' is there, but is it real?:confused:

there is the ignore button which is far more effective than the RTM button ............ it's all just not worth it anymore

It's all manipulation?

Last edited:
Bit of a tidy up in here guys.

@den please stop being so sensitive and interpreting things as a personal dig every time somebody makes a constructive comment about a shot.
I'm fully aware of the history here, but sometimes it really is just about the image and there's not a personal undercurrent aimed at you as an individual.

It is a striking image Dennis, I like the composition it works well with the aspect of the head on shot

It's a great capture, of that there is no doubt, but the resulting image that's been posted I find to be wildly over-processed and unrealistic. On close inspection, there is virtually zero detail about the head and the forward areas of the wings. In fact, there is far more feather detail (albeit noisy) under the bird at the back of the wing and the tail, than there is at the front/head. To me, this looks more like a painting than a photograph. It's a great 'image'.

For me, that's a very fair critique.

My own comment / critique would be in line with the above. Granted I enjoy birdwatching perhaps more than photography, so commenting on the rendition of the bird itself more than the photo, but I watch red kites often, and they don't look like that. They're scavengers, and the plumage detail is much softer, less contrasty. It really is a 'wow' image, but in becoming that it has lost quite a bit of the red kite.

I like the structure of the composition, and image is well selected for the one with good eye contact, which draws the viewer in.

The rendition of the kite I can't get to sit with the picture in my mind of the kites I watch, but overall nice composition and capture timing. Thanks for sharing.

Back