Red Kite

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip to Gigrin today. Was thinking of giving Bwlch Nant yr Arian a try, but the forecast there was for dark cloud. Nearly had a wasted journey as the lens mount had somehow worked its way loose on the way down so I had no AF and no tools to fix it. Fortunately, the lady in the cafe lent me a sharp knife to use as a screwdriver and all was well again!

redkite1v2.jpg

Mike

Splendid capture and rendition!

Nice shot Mike, I think I saw that bird when I was there earlier in the year. Can I ask what settings you used and how much post processing?

Nearly had a wasted journey as the lens mount had somehow worked its way loose on the way down so I had no AF and no tools to fix it. Fortunately, the lady in the cafe lent me a sharp knife to use as a screwdriver and all was well again!

Talk about making life difficult! :D
Which hide did you use?

Nice shot Mike, I think I saw that bird when I was there earlier in the year. Can I ask what settings you used and how much post processing?

This is the straight lift from LR with no edits made by me other than what LR does to the file on import. I actually use DPP4 and PS but it was easier to use this than mess around with my DPP edited file. Not too much done apart from the crop and lifting the shadows.

red-kite-no-edit.jpg

Settings were a Canon 1dx with 500mmf4 is. ISO 2000, 1/3200th, f5.

Stunning shot Mike (y)

Talk about making life difficult! :D
Which hide did you use?

Cheers Roger. Fortunately I got there early, but I think some of the other visitors in the hide below me might have learned some new words today!

I used the regular tower hide. I looked at the new close up hide, but it didn't appeal to me. It's set nice and low, but actually a bit further away than the other hides. Nobody was using it, so maybe the farmer purposely didn't put food near it, I don't know, but I'm not sure it's worth the £45. Maybe if I was going a few times I'd give it a go out of curiosity, but it's only the second time I've been to Gigrin, and it's a 5 hour round trip for me, so stuck with the tower this time.

Mike

Last edited:
good pose and detail

I looked at the new close up hide, but it didn't appeal to me. It's set nice and low, but actually a bit further away than the other hides

I saw it when I went a few weeks back and cant see the justification for £45. I will stick with the Gateway Hide

Stan

Out of curiosity how much is it generally compared to the £45 hide mentioned? Lovely shot too, often see them out Harewood way but never have my camera with me at work.

Out of curiosity how much is it generally compared to the £45 hide mentioned? Lovely shot too, often see them out Harewood way but never have my camera with me at work.

I think to go in the general hide it's about a fiver, but there isn't much space to swing a lens in there.

There are a couple of other options, I paid £20 for the tower hide - my theory is I've paid a lot for my kit, spent plenty on petrol and use my own time, so to scrimp on a few quid seems a bit silly, regardless of if I think it's overpriced or not. I just didn't see the shots from the £45 hide being worth it personally.

Mike

Back