Critique Red Lily Beetle

Pag

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
A couple of shots of a Red Lily Beetle. I'm not especially happy with the result of either so comments and suggestions are more than welcome. The first image was taken using the Olympus in camera focus stacking, 10 shots at f4, and the second is a single shot at f11.
red-lily-beetle132s-jpg.293420
Red Lily Beetle 072.jpg

Attachments

• Red Lily Beetle132s.jpg
    Red Lily Beetle132s.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 74
Agreed missed focus and personally I would have used an off camera flash

Les

Thanks fo the replies. The olympus does have focus peaking, but the beetle was starting to get a little bit active so that may have been what caused the slight OOF. I don't have much experience of using flash, off camera or otherwise, so that's something I'll have to look into.

I think that's the problem here, movement of any kind is the enemy of stacking and you have to be really lucky for a live creature to pose absolutely still for a series of images to be stacked.
Using flash is the key here as it will enable you to use a lower shutter speed and consequently a smaller aperture to get increased depth of field, at least it works that way for me.
I knew nothing about flash until I started doing macro. I still only know slightly more than nothing but just enough to enhance my macro shots. It's worth learning about.
When I was using Olympus for macro I bought a Smallrigg cage and was able to attach a small flash gun very easily to it with a flexible extension arm, I still do this for my Sony.

We have a love hate for these. As you can see from my avatar, they are really good to photograph but the wife hates them because they munch her Lilys. Also our Granddaughter's name is Lily Beetle :)

Back