Red Squiggle

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
My very first sighting jeepers haven't we lost something special.

I'm pretty sure this is mum who is just in the process of kicking out the last of her big babies and heavily preggers with a new litter.

A real mix of emotions here ,both of us were grinning like cheshire cats but then the utter sadness of these being almost taken from us ,so some rich guy could see a different colour squiggle on his estate god we have alot to answer for

I gotta say a huge thanks to photographers and folks we met along the way. A lovely family whose grandad planted the very woodland we stood in the Nikon guy (yeah I know helping a canon guy) who just couldn't help me enough to make sure we saw a red...................... and a bloke called Paul who watches over 'em and is there in all weather to give them a bit extra food

The Squirrels are therefore baited no ruddy light 1/500 f 5.6 iso 12800

_S2I6591 sm j peeping red by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

stu

They are indeed the most engaging of creatures.................great that you managed to meet such a nice range of folks there :)

Did you get onto the DWT lagoon hides & walk as well?

PS might make it down there again next year ~ we love the whole area, though for various reasons we don't always make to Brownsea. If you go again have a look at Dean Mason's Window on Wildlife website. Harvest Mouse workshop and very nice bird hides including a reflection pool.

You should come and visit the Isle of Wight - there are no grey squirrels here at all.

I'm looking out at my feeder now with a youngster filling his face with peanuts. :)

Great shot BTW. (y)

They are indeed the most engaging of creatures.................great that you managed to meet such a nice range of folks there :)

Did you get onto the DWT lagoon hides & walk as well?

PS might make it down there again next year ~ we love the whole area, though for various reasons we don't always make to Brownsea. If you go again have a look at Dean Mason's Window on Wildlife website. Harvest Mouse workshop and very nice bird hides including a reflection pool.

Laurence........ how ya doing mate? After we spoke on Mark's thread i posted again in the talk nature section,with a new thread. I sort of hoped to build the start of a little knowledge base that might serve the southern guys especially newer members who would like to see the reds there. Sadly no one came back no replies at all...........so;)

I actually took your words on Mark's thread to the letter mate...slung me hook and found some of me own to show:LOL: Well what can I say you are a clever guy I listen. So sadly I can't answer much of your post.

Buddy my photography is for me and my darling lady first, we sort of love hardship I guess,I dunno there are easier ways to get an image, than my road We fail alot, actually, a hell of a lot but that in it's self drives me personally. The journey both physically in this case and metaphorically of learning the species being with it, missing it up over and over, messing up the chances over and over.............. adding the brill light stacking it all on top of each other to finally nab a frame I'm sort of proud of, is really what I do,where I get my kick!!. But my subjects are wild always wild. I used to speak to a guy whom did catch and release with field mice,cor hell of a tog!! It's just not really for me. I have no feeling of anything negative about workshops paid for hides or bating ( beasties wellfare first I'm good). It's just fun for me to work it up from what ever I can. But the resultant image is mine as much as it can be. Does than make sense mate tis a bit long winded??

There is a degree of other folks work in this image Laurence,the nik guy, (ha I knew where I was going he gave me within yards:cool:). Paul, the guy who feeds week in week out..... the guy that planted the woodland ,but I can't access wild reds like me hares as there are none left.
So when I read your tongue in cheek words it made me stop and muse a while,I sort of felt the risk of nowt and doing all I could homework wise might take the sting out of using a few nuts to slow a squiggle down at someone else's feed station:LOL:

Mate,even though I'm pretty gregarious I'm such a bloody hermit I worried that so many folks would be on Brownsea I'd get freaked out,that was also part of my reasoning ,but yeah you made me stop and think a while;):cool:. So first up we went looking for a needle in a haystack mid country mainland reds then did an island pop which it's fair to say was a bit far from home to get back to in a day. I utterly misjugded that one oops :rolleyes:

Buddy this one was a first me, first big trip in my old van, my first ever sighting and image of a tiny rodent i'm so gutted to not have right here in my back yard. It is the start of why I've been grafting meself stupid for so long : a chance at subjects I can't reach in a day .

But the really lovely bit is the grand daughter of the guy who planted the wood is a tog............... she wants to see a kingy and make a pic. A guy from somewhere else told me a spot very close to where she lives... Ha ha as they walked away I squeaked them back as they left so they got a squiggle pic too. I'm never going to be a tog bro I hadn't got a pic for me yet but hey........... so I got to give his words to the lovely lady as she tried to give me another spot for reds if she goes she will get her chance I did but no time

There is a tiny circle of kind folks here mate in this image and you started that with a few words.................. hence the bl**dy big waffle:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The actual shoot was funny table chairs cups 'o' char on tap vast quantities of choccy biccies I could get used to this:cool:,it's a far cry from buying paint ball arm protectors because I wanna pic of a hare huh??

Thanks mate, I had a ball because of you just tipping the balance, I might even be able to help them a bit with info gleened from images taken

mucho gracias or what ever it is:rolleyes:

can't help much with Brownsea but maybe one day

stu

You should come and visit the Isle of Wight - there are no grey squirrels here at all.

I'm looking out at my feeder now with a youngster filling his face with peanuts. :)

Great shot BTW. (y)

Yeah I know all the island pops are doing ok ,well not too bad, ! Always challenges!!

Trev I'm deeply envious of you we nearly came to your home cheers for the reply I'd love to one day. Cheers on the image with the gear I have there was more to be had. But I was very very cautious . I don't know them to an islander they are there all the time to me no idea......... I spent alot of time watching before really getting images by the time that came little light to play with,wonderful animals though I so want them back here. Although how we would get rid of the greys now I know not.
many thanks

stu

Reactions: Sky
Awesome Stu, congrats on your first red. I remember the feeling when I saw my first at a localish reserve, a great feeling.

I hope you get the chance to go back, like kingies, SEOs etc, they can be addictive. (y)

The best isn't it mate:cool:. We will go back sadly it's too far for frequent visits. I'd like a winter hi pressure visit though like that will happen. I think my return home journey was 9 hours no motorways Bit of a hike Dale to say the least I'd love to have a couple of weeks at them condensed. The way they move is amazing as is the sound of those nails on a scots pine so loud! I've got a mad OOF shot of one running up a pine no contact at all,pine is vertical I found tracking up and down in portrait hard and simply couldn't move FP's fast enough lol:LOL:

Dale they aren't at their most fluffy right now so possibly not at their most obvious photogenic prettyness. But it was lovely to see mums and young kids
Maybe we got pics of ten or so individuals they can be so different in their colours. They also look in great shape which is fab as now is the lean time for our native reds
i'll also know alot more next time,wish it was closer. Hard journey home so tired :I need to try again with camper bed............. but what a blast:D !!

stu

Back