Red squirrel

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
I've seen many incredible images of red squirrels on here and I know this is only fit for the waste bin in comparison however.............it's my first ever red squirrel sighting. At Loch of the Lowes near Dunkeld on our way up to Wester Ross (where there are no squirrels of any colour). Taken with the Sigma 150-600 at 600mm in poor evening light in trees, handheld at 1/250 sec, iso 6400 (my camera really isn't comfortable at high iso hence the noise) - I was surprised I captured it at all but I did. There were two of them dancing through the trees and what absolutely delightful little creatures they are. Later that same evening I read in a magazine there's a plan to try to reintroduce them in Cornwall. Oh yes, yes, yes......!

Red squirrel by Jannyfox, on Flickr

Always good to get a first Jan, especially if it's a Red Squirrel. :)

I've yet to get any image of one of these beauties, so you're ahead of me.

Thrilled for ya Jan I'd take that as a first !! I've never seen one here in the wild. I share your excitment;)

Man there are a lot of greys down west have they cleared a location for reintroduction ??

stu

Thrilled for ya Jan I'd take that as a first !! I've never seen one here in the wild. I share your excitment;)

Man there are a lot of greys down west have they cleared a location for reintroduction ??

stu

I've binned the magazine now, Stu (knew I should have kept it), but I think it's the west of Cornwall. With the sea on three sides it's easier to defend against the grey tree rats. The breeding programme for reds at Escot is a player in it. I really hope it goes ahead and is successful. One glimpse of a red and we were both instantly smitten :)

Back