Red underwing Close up

I am trying to get a some better close up pics I have been trying different lighting what do you macro men think of this ?

I like the overall look of it Kevin.

I'm wondering about several things:
  • What aperture you used and whether you could usefully use a smaller aperture to get greater depth of field.

• How much you cropped. The eyes are looking largely featureless and the light areas are rather speckly/artefacted at the small scale (see blue arrows below)

• What the horizontal lines are outside of the curve of the eye (red arrow below). They seem to be a continuation of lines that are in/on/over the near part of the eye (see green arrow below)

Kevin moth eye crop
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Pixel peeping always disappoints me so best stay well clear of the single pixels, see the overall shot for what it is. which I like BTW. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am Not Sure what it is Nick or what there are ? it was shot at f32 and no crop m8 could it be muck on the sensor as I have just had it cleaned ?

From the look of it, I wouldn't have thought so, but at f/32 if there is anything on the sensor it is likely to show up. I suggest putting the camera in aperture priority mode, setting the aperture to f/32, setting the exposure compensation to +1 or +2 stops, and pointing it at a light, blank area on the PC screen. Hold it much closer than the 1:1 working distance so it can't be in focus. Then capture three images. The exposure may be quite slow, a second or more perhaps depending on what ISO you use. That is fine. You don't have to hold the camera particularly still either. Actually I move it around while the shots are being captured.

Then have a look at the images on the PC. Anything on the sensor that might be affecting your images should be visible in the same place on all three images. Having just had the sensor cleaned I would expect that you won't see anything, just a perfectly plain, flat image.

Back