Redstart (Juv)

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out this afternoon in an attempt to get closer to a Redstart. Although the parent bird was elusive today, I did manage to get up reasonably close with a youngster from this years brood!

It's a bit of a consolation shot, as I really wanted the daddy. The angle isn't ideal either. I wasn't going to put this up here, but it's growing on me a bit, so objective opinions would be good.

16277-1472077860-fd783831e673862120aa058051e2e9a4.jpg

Don't think I have ever seen a young Redstart so nice to see it ... is it a large crop?
It looks 'noisy' soft as though it is a large crop ... if it is maybe resist your usual 'get in close' and back off a bit?

is it a large crop? It looks 'noisy' soft as though it is a large crop ...
No, it's not much of a crop at all. However, I'm glad you mentioned the softness, as I see it here too. It doesn't make much sense as it's sharp in-camera and on screen in LR.

Actually, I've just gone back into LR to check and I think it may be down to the effect of 6400 ISO!!

I've recently been uploading photos to my gallery here, rather than dragging them from Facebook, as I thought this would be better...... Perhaps not. :thinking:

John,

For me, this is one for the birders more than the outright photographers. The pose is decent, but the shooting angle is way too steep (as always easier said than done, but try for eye level), and I know you like to go tight, but you really need a bit more space around the tail.

It's clearly sharp and has suffered with the IQ when posting here, so a little extra sharpening on the bird brings things back nicely. I also find it a little bright - but you were there and know how it was at the time.

Regarding posting here, I don't like the way flickr butchers shots, so never link from there. I always do a version specifically for here, doing all my adjustments, then resizing at 1024px wide, and only then do I do any sharpening or noise reduction. I then insert the image direct from my hard drive, bypassing any other hosting sites or even the TP gallery. Seems to work for me.

4rc-redstart-rp.jpg

Thanks Mike. :kiss:

For me, this is one for the birders more than the outright photographers.

For me too. I have a foot in both camps and it can cause a severe cramp in awkward places. ;)

Interesting on the sharpening etc after resize......(y)

Back