Reducing Pictures For Website - Help Required

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am really struggling to upload some photography to our shop website

I do this very often without issue and just use iPhone shots or images taken (legitimately) from the various suppliers own websites however these are actually my own images that we are now selling in the shop and hopefully online.

The error message I am getting is they are exceeding 20 megapixels but no matter what I do when I export from Lightroom it never seems to be low enough.

I think I am just getting confused after trying for so long and would just like to know a clear process to ensure that when I export they are under 20 megapixels.

Many thanks

Tony

I found this:-

In the Library module, go to the Edit menu and “Select All” images, or choose those you want and highlight them.

In the “file” menu, select Export.

In the dialogue box that opens, you get to choose the size and detail of the saved images. You can set a jpeg size limit, or alternatively set the number of pixels along one side of the image. This lets you optimise for various sites (Facebook prefers images of a certain length, for instance, but this changes from time to time, so check on Google or something) so check what the best size and pixel density you need from wherever you are uploading to.

However I don't use Lightroom.

Do you have a target image file size that you are aiming for?
There are two major factors which control the size of a jpeg image file.
1. The dimensions of the image in pixels.
2. The amount of jpeg "compression" applied, also called "quality."

First, you should resize the image.
For most applications a size of 1000 to 1200 pixels along the longest side should show sifficient detail, especially for a website.
The amount of compression you can use needs to be decided by "trial and error."
A Quality (compression) setting of 85 should produce an image that is indistinguishable from the original.
Try reducing the export Quality setting until any processing artifacts become excessive, then go up a step or two.
Once you get below a Quality of about 50 the artifacts should be quite noticeable, but it depends what you are looking for.
By using a combination of image size and compression quality you should be able to reduce your file sizes massively.

The easiest way to resize is to use LR Export. You can set the destination folder, set the size, save as JPEG, set the JPEG file size and set the colour space. You can also include a final sharpening as significant reduction in size can soften the image a little. You can also add a watermark or even post process. You can apply this to multiple images as well.

Dave

I'm actually struggling to understand how resizing and exporting from Lightroom can go wrong at all but presumably it's from not choosing longest side and pixels as above.

Thanks for all the responses

I actually just sent them to a new Lightroom Mobile Collection which let me use them from my iPhone. I then sent them to Apple's "Photos" then on to the website.

This obviously managed to reduce the size enough for the website to accept them. All is well and I have managed to get 18 uploaded so far.

Website here for anyone interested. www.chosenbyjessica.co.uk

I used to use porta which was simple and spot on but I can't get it working now I've switched to Big Sur. I used to use wine to get to to run as it's a windows exe

I am really struggling to upload some photography to our shop website

I do this very often without issue and just use iPhone shots or images taken (legitimately) from the various suppliers own websites however these are actually my own images that we are now selling in the shop and hopefully online.

The error message I am getting is they are exceeding 20 megapixels but no matter what I do when I export from Lightroom it never seems to be low enough.

I think I am just getting confused after trying for so long and would just like to know a clear process to ensure that when I export they are under 20 megapixels.

Many thanks

Tony

Easiest thing is just use jpeg mini

Back